Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peoniesandposies

Lighting Village scenes

peoniesandposies
13 years ago

I have a number of Dept 56 Dickens Village buildings. We've never lit them before because I don't want to have to hide a bunch of cords. We were thinking about using the new LED lights and somehow stringing them together.

Any suggestions? I'd also love to see your layout.

Comments (17)

• jaybird
    13 years ago

I use a multi outlet extension cord that is attached to my village foundation. For ambient lighting I use white lights on white cord under the angel hair snow.

• blizlady
    13 years ago

Jaybird, I like the idea of putting lights under the angel hair - I may do something like that too.

When I set up my village, I use a power strip on the
    table(s) and plug all the cords to the house lights in that. I cover it with the cotton batting so it is not seen. Some day I would love to set up a couple houses with a scene on our dining room table as a few people do. In that case the cords go through the crack in the table.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

jane, I bet your little village begins to seem real and every "person" and "animal" in it after so many years. How fun to set it up and create all the scenarios.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

schoolhouse...
    Actually DH sets it up. It's all his 'Labor of Love'. I always tell him I'd love to live in that town among those people and shop in those stores...It reminds me of
    Bedford Falls, from It's A Wonderful Life'.

jane

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

jane...it reminds me of doing Jr. Achievement with 3rd graders...entitled "My Community" ... the kids have placemat size maps with all this...like a taxi, library, bakery, school, etc. etc. That was my first thought!

Wow, kudos to DH...it takes alot of love & labor to create this ...just like purplemoon's china cabinets! Amazing!

Good luck, peoniesandposies...sorry I don't have any expertise to add...but HAVE FUN! Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

J and Jane, thanks so much for posting your villages. They are so different and just beautiful. This should get some inspiration going.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Jane that is the kind of Village I'd LOVE to be able to set up!! But somehow I don't think it would work with the cats, or rather Jazz aka Trouble.

The drawback of me putting my Village in the big china cabinet is NO lights on the houses. That's really a bummer. I just have to be satisfied with cabinet's lights
    on things.
    When I did set mine up on a small table, I used a power strip to plug all the houses into tho, and tried to cover it and any cords with 'snow'.

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Karen... I'm laughing, as I picture Jazz/Trouble.. and
    your Village on a Table.... like a scene from 'Godzilla' !! lol
    As for displaying them in your cabinet..how about using
    those battery operated string lights among the houses.
    They sell battery - string lights on timers now. I think Bethlehem lights has them.
    I found one source (below)..but I'm sure there are other
    sources. If they're too pricey to do all your buildings, you could buy a little at a time, or just light a few - here and there.

jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Lights with battery/timer

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Jane, you would have been howling with laughter if you had seen me grabbing Posie cat by the nap of the neck last night....ooooohhhhh she got her behind swatted good and proper when I caught her in the middle of my village! This morning she was still mad, but decided to show up for breakfast. DH got home a bit ago and said everything looked as it should, so I guess she didn't get back up there today. Karen, do you suppose we could get a refund for these crazy cats??? ;^)
    Where's Jim? He could identify with this too!

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

There are several types of battery operated LED light strands available now. Some even have timers. You can curl a few lights from the strand into a house, then hide the next few under the "snow" before putting a few into the next house. The battery cases can also hide under the snow.

Department 56 also offers some solutions in their Anywhere Lighting products. Just read the use of each product carefully so that you know it will work for your application.

How nice of you to share pictures of your villages. I loved looking at them. I find all things miniature fascinating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anywhere Lighting

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Ha Jay...so you've got another 'Godzilla' too!
    That must have been some sight..and I wonder who was more startled you or Posie. I swear, this must be a fantasy of theirs that they're conquering all humans and their belongings when they leap into the Village Displays.
    I'll bet she's thinking up ways to get even...watch out! hehe

forhgtv...hi and welcome.
    The Dept 56 system is a pretty neat system too...a little pricey, but as I told Karen, with any of these lighting systems, if purchased a little at a time, should do the job nicely in her cabinet.

jane

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

From a dog lover here, I am LOL over these "cats!" Lovable Sweeties, aren't they! jaybird, I think you've created the view looking thru the "Golden Gates" of "Heaven"...that village is quite heavenly! TFS! Jeanne S.
    tee hee.... Godzilla...too funny, Jane!

• peoniesandposies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Posie the cat -- what a GREAT name!

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Jane, and ForHGTV, thank you for the links and information.
    I will check the lights out. I didn't think to go to Dept 56 site this year, tho I usually look thru it.

In our Village Inspiration album, I have some photos of cats in villages. From members here. I laughed cause I think one commented "it takes a Village to raise a Cat",
    then another said "it takes a Cat to RAZE a Village".
    LOL
    My Jazz would love to be a Catzilla and get in the midst of a village. Or have a large tree to climb. Guess I'm
    a bad cat mommy, huh?

hugs, Karen

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

I have a rather large village and have started using icicle lights to light my village. I run the main cord along the back of the scene and pull the different icicle strands down into the village to light houses, ect. The white cords are easier to hide under snow piles, ect .....

Lynne

the village keepers

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Purplemoon - Great quote. I'll have to remember that one. Lynne - I see that your cat enjoys the warmth of the village lights!

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling
More Discussions