Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
appropriate gift for son's (serious) girlfriend

Posted by jubileej (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 7, 06 at 13:14

I want to give a gift to my son's college aged girlfriend that could acknowledge her importance in the family, while not communicating any expectations of their future relationship, either. She knows I don't approve of them sharing the same apt. (separate rooms they say), but I hope she senses that I really like her personally. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: appropriate gift for son's (serious) girlfriend

Back in the old days we would give the girl a lovely gold round bracelet. (costume of course) Of course that might mean something today, I've lost touch.

o

We have one of these girls that have been around for a LONG time - HSe's here more than my boys are - in the past I have gotten her a basket of smelly stuff from bed-bath & beyond; purse; nice sweater; hat & gloves if you live in the cold like we do; the gold bracelet sounds very nice and a great idea. This girl may be your future daughter-in-law it may be a start of welcoming her into your family.
tammy

o

I have the same situation. I got my son's girlfriend a really adorable pocket book from Bath & Body Works with some smelly stuff in it.

o

Maybe some candles and a gift certificate, that way she gets something other then a certificate and she can pick out something herself too. Good Luck

o

How about a nice watch, or locket with their pictures in it.

beverly

o

I am going to give my son's 24 year old girlfriend the gift box of perfumes from Victoria's Secret for Christmas. It is an assortment of eight perfumes. I think it is a very feminine gift and one more than likely not to be returned. That and a nice Christmas tree ornament for their tree.

o

I like the idea of the additional tree ornament and one you can carry on each year.

o

i think a nice basket from bath and body works all wrapped up pretty speaks of something - to that i would add a dated ornament. i don't think you can go wrong with this.
i think a gift card is a little impersonal, but that's just me.

maryanne

o

If it were me, I'd check with my son. There might be a book that she has been wanting for a long time, or maybe a CD. Did you know that the CD players are low costing?

Go look at all the wonderful electronic gifts the stores have this year. Wonderful things.

How about cell-phone time.

A certificate, plus a pretty Christmas tin filled with fruites, candies, or nuts.

Several quick food eating places have gift cards and food credit cards with a set amount of money.

My husband picked up a (pretty) toaster that cooks eggs-toast-frozen cooked sausage all at the same time. Makes an Egg McMuffin. They are called "Back to Basics" and can be found just about every where this year such as Target, WalMart, etc. Very popular with college kids and are the most sold gifts this year as per a report.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Thanks all! Great ideas!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here