Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jubileej_gw

appropriate gift for son's (serious) girlfriend

jubileej
17 years ago

I want to give a gift to my son's college aged girlfriend that could acknowledge her importance in the family, while not communicating any expectations of their future relationship, either. She knows I don't approve of them sharing the same apt. (separate rooms they say), but I hope she senses that I really like her personally. Any ideas?

Comments (17)

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

Back in the old days we would give the girl a lovely gold round bracelet. (costume of course) Of course that might mean something today, I've lost touch.

• lynnatl
    17 years ago

I have the same situation. I got my son's girlfriend a really adorable pocket book from Bath & Body Works with some smelly stuff in it.

• azcbreeze
    17 years ago

Maybe some candles and a gift certificate, that way she gets something other then a certificate and she can pick out something herself too. Good Luck

• grammyp
    17 years ago

How about a nice watch, or locket with their pictures in it.

beverly

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

I am going to give my son's 24 year old girlfriend the gift box of perfumes from Victoria's Secret for Christmas. It is an assortment of eight perfumes. I think it is a very feminine gift and one more than likely not to be returned. That and a nice Christmas tree ornament for their tree.

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I like the idea of the additional tree ornament and one you can carry on each year.

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

i think a nice basket from bath and body works all wrapped up pretty speaks of something - to that i would add a dated ornament. i don't think you can go wrong with this.
    i think a gift card is a little impersonal, but that's just me.

maryanne

• mojo1937
    17 years ago

If it were me, I'd check with my son. There might be a book that she has been wanting for a long time, or maybe a CD. Did you know that the CD players are low costing?

Go look at all the wonderful electronic gifts the stores have this year. Wonderful things.

How about cell-phone time.

A certificate, plus a pretty Christmas tin filled with fruites, candies, or nuts.

Several quick food eating places have gift cards and food credit cards with a set amount of money.

My husband picked up a (pretty) toaster that cooks eggs-toast-frozen cooked sausage all at the same time. Makes an Egg McMuffin. They are called "Back to Basics" and can be found just about every where this year such as Target, WalMart, etc. Very popular with college kids and are the most sold gifts this year as per a report.

• jubileej
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks all! Great ideas!!!

• joangetz935
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Do you think a sterling silver necklace set is out of line?

• kitasei
    7 years ago

I would give her a pair of theater or concert tickets, or a museum membership. The ornament idea is poor because it's a permanent reminder of something that may not be permanent..

• patty_cakes42
    7 years ago

A fake fur throw! I bought one for my grandson's GF last year, and whenever I visit she's wrapped up in it on the couch. Target has a very nice variety.

• geoh7777
    6 years ago

Thank you patty_cakes42 for the fake fur throw idea.

• JJ Searles
    3 years ago

I’m interested to know if she’s still in the family! I’m in that season of life now and I recognize this thread is old...but...

• mechellefeldkamp
    2 years ago

LOL. Maybe old. But still VERY relevant. Good ideas. Actually, kind of validating- a couple of my ideas. But love the the furry blanket idea!

• Julie Ball
    4 months ago

Good idea. I'm trying to decide if I can give my son's girlfriend a blanket engraved 'to my daughter-in-law.'

Sponsored
More Discussions