Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnas_gw

String of lights out on tree

donnas_gw
11 years ago

I noticed last night that there is a string of lights out on my tree. Had some extra bulbs and went around the tree taking each bulb out in that string and trying the new bulb. The very last bulb I found was burned out (I put a piece of tape on each one I checked). Replaced the burned out bulb with a new one, but that string of lights still won't come on. I know they make something now that you can use that supposedly fixes your tree lights. Looks like a red glue gun. I've seen it in department stores, but don't remember the name of it. I wonder if it really works?

This post was edited by donnas on Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 12:47

Comments (4)

• decorcrzy
    11 years ago

Yep, that's the lightkeeper pro.
    If you go to youtube you will find instructional videos on it.
    I got one and it did really work on my 100 strand light set.
    But keep in mind that if your bulbs have that black burned look, your strand has probably seen its day.(they explain that in the instructions that are inside the package)
    It seems to more or less fix the wire rather than bulbs. I didn't believe it till I used it.
    ( And I don't work for lightkeeper pro)

• lynnencfan
    11 years ago

We bought one and used it last year and salvaged a whole bunch of strands of lights - more than paid for itself. We have not had to use it as much this year - maybe one or two strands.....

Lynne

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our tree is several years old. Bought it at Walmart, one that came with lights wrapped around each branch. There are 3 strands of lights. My husband just came home and looked at it. He said it wasn't an entire strand of the one set of lights that are out, but just part of that strand. The tree has been up since after Thanksgiving. I had it decorated so pretty. It was late last night after he went to bed when I noticed up near the top of the tree that some lights were out.

• decorcrzy
    11 years ago

Half of my 100 ct light string was out. It was located in heavily decorated garland, that would have taken a couple of hours to rip out and redo with another strand of lights. I figured I would spend the $20 and take a gamble.

The way the videos explain how the lightkeeper pro works is this: If a bulb were to burn out in a strand of lights there is an area located in the wire below each bulb which will allow the electricity to bypass the bulb and run through to the rest of the lights in a strand. However, sometimes that area below the bulbs can malfunction(get clogged). When you use the lightkeeper pro in that bulb socket above that area on the wire it will clear the electric path(kind of like drano or liquid plumber in a pipe).

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor
More Discussions