Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Christmas tradition - picture

Posted by oakleyok (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 21, 11 at 12:28

Before my MIL passed away this year, she would always give the women in the family an Amaryllis kit. We all just loved it!

This year when I was trying to figure out what to give the women, I remembered the Amaryllis. So I'm carrying on the tradition my MIL started and when I'm gone I hope my DIL does the same. I'll talk to her about it. lol.

Of course I bought one for myself and planted mine over a month ago. The pot and soil come with the bulb. I searched hi and lo to find some online that weren't expensive because they can cost a lot.

I need a new camera lens because the picture doesn't do the plant justice. It's 22" tall from the top of the pot to the tip of the flower.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Christmas tradition - picture

How pretty! And what a nice tradition to continue. A friend gave me the 'kit' last year and it was my first time to have one of these. Flowers normally hate me, but mine bloomed well for some reason. ;o)

hugs, Karen

o

How long do they usually last? Don't know much about this particular flower. Lovely Christmas flower.

o

S, I think they can last a couple of months. I've had them in the past but they didn't bloom profusely like this one is.

I figured out why. These need a LOT of direct sunlight. This plant gets about 8 hours sun...longer if I wanted to leave the shutters open.

I also think once the stalk is "spent" then you cut it off and it can encourage new stalks with blooms.

I'm going to check into see if we can grow them indoors in the summer because I know they'd die in my garden with the excessive heat.

o

Here in NC we can leave the Amaryllis in the ground all year round and they do very well. In this picture there is an orange one in the closest bed (not a very clear picture of it) and in the far bed there is a beautiful red one

Photobucket

close up of the red one

Photobucket

We bought them every year also - have not done it as much now that we can have them bloom so well in the summer .....

Lynne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here