Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

What to do with 50' strand cranberry beads?

party_music50
11 years ago

My mom gave me a 50' strand of wooden cranberries that is very pretty. It's also quite heavy and awkward to work with: it's just painted wooden berries strung together on a LONG piece of nylon -- and whoever made it didn't leave much of anything at the ends for attaching or working with. I didn't even attempt hanging it on the tree because I feel it's just too heavy.

What can I do with this 50' strand other than pile it up into a pretty glass bowl? :p

I thought it might look good strung across the tops of my windows (lots of oak there), but I'd have a 50 foot string of heavy beads to place on a 9 foot span -- and actually have two spans I'd like decorated the same. Would I be nuts to try cutting and re-stringing it into more manageable lengths? and, if I should try that, is there a better material to use for stringing the beads? something like waxed hemp, perhaps?

Comments (6)

• GulfportGail
    11 years ago

Cutting them apart and restringing is the first thing that crossed my mind.

I have used fishing line a lot of times for stringing...you can buy small amounts, it is clear, and comes in different strengths.

• roxanna
    11 years ago

what i would try is to make one first cut carefully into length you want, trying not to let too many of the beads on either side of the cut fall off, then remove several of the beads to make a "tail" at either end, if possible, so you can then make end loops. do the same for the other length(s). this way you won't have to re-string every bead.

it might help to have another pair of hands to hold the cut length so the beads don't all fall off! or perhaps use a clothespin to secure the end of the length you aren't working with until you are ready.

this presumes that the beads are strung loose and not knotted between each one... lol. good luck!

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Wow! Sounds like a great addition to your decor! Yup, I'd cut 'em apart if you want to use them above 2 windows...sounds cool. Otherwise, you could fill a cloche with 'em ...now that could be tricky when you turn it upside down! LOL! Have fun, party...wherever you use them. Jeanne S.

• party_music50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all! The beads are loosely strung but there's only about 2 inches of excess nylon for the entire length. My plan is to cut the strand into 2 or 3 equal length pieces. I'll remove beads as necessary to close off the cut end(s), and excess beads will go into my "to use someday" craft items pile. I can always weave them into a basket! :)

Jeanne, I actually made my first cloche-like thing this year using a large clear-glass cake platter w/ cover. I tried using these cranberry beads w/ some ornaments, but they didn't fit! I ended up using a shorter multi-strand of shiny gold beads and ornaments, and it must look ok because even my oblivious BF commented on it. lol!

Thanks everyone!

• christmascandy
    11 years ago

Another option would be to wind them around a styrofoam cone and make a cranberry tree similar to the one on the White House Christmas special. You could either pin the strand as you go, or use craft glue (I think hot glue would melt the styrofoam.)

Merry Christmas,
    Candy

• party_music50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow, Candy, that's an awesome idea! It would make a wonderful table centerpiece. Thank you! :)

Sponsored
More Discussions