Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you fluff artificial trees/greenery

Posted by lovesummer (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 11:32

This seems like a stupid question, but what's the best way to fluff artificial trees? I did my little white tree last night and found myself kind of scratching my head about it. Do you keep the branches straight or curved? Curve up or down? All the same direction or mix it up? I ended up curving them slightly up and it looked OK. In nature, you see all variations, depending on the tree and the conditions. My main aim was to make it look full and hide the gaps--this was a 3' little cheap drugstore tree, so no great assets to begin with! With my big tree I tend to twist branch tips up to help hold the ornaments, but I always feel a little unsure about how to proceed. With garland, do you fluff everything out for maximum fullness, or angle it in one direction?

It always seems like I fuss forever but my results leave something to be desired, so I'm looking for some basic tips. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you fluff artificial trees/greenery

I love the edges of the branches to face down a bit when there is faux snow on them. In Nova Scotia the snow falls in large clumps and weighs down the tips of the branches, this reminds me of childhood visions I saw.

But, if you put some of the 'tendrils' that come on an artificial tree upwards a bit, then it reflects how the tree grows. I find this makes an 'upbeat' tree. Straight out makes the tree more 'mechanical' looking, and great for serious collectors who want to showcase their prized decorations.

I don't think you can go wrong, if it feels good to you, then go for it. Hard to tell with an artificial tree, its construction is not known (no photo) then one can only guess.

I would get something to fill in the interior of the tree to hid the very visable trunk part. Inexpensive silk flowers and greenery can do this too. A friend suggested a white feather boa for me to try in my new white tree.

If you could post a photo of what you have so far, and what you plan to hang on it, that might help others to give more advice and help you further.
Good luck with your decorating and can't wait to see how it comes out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here