Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alex9179_gw

LED lights and retail irritation!

alex9179
11 years ago

For the last few years, my motivation to decorate has been almost non-existant. Finally, after changing my diet, my old self is back and I'm excited to get my Christmas/winter stuff going. One problem, though, I can't find any lights for my garland and tree! My incandescents are out of commission, so I thought I'd be environmentally responsible and use LEDs.

All of the green wire, warm white, LED lights are sold out in my area. Not only that, it seems they don't sell LED icicle lights with green wire, at all! What the heck? I guess people with dark facades are out of luck. I want them because I like a lot of lights on my garland and icicles are easier to lay in there rather than several strings of individuals.

I was at Wal-mart, HD, and Lowe's this morning. Their shelves were practically empty except for incandescent.. Anyone have better luck with another store?

Comments (11)

• lynnencfan
    11 years ago

Have you tried any online sources?? Even the big-box online sources would probably have them. There is even an ad on the right side of this page for LED-Christmas-Lights.net - good luck - I am still fighting the LED craze but I do like the fact that they are coming out with a warmer white light .....

Lynne

Here is a link that might be useful: LED Lights

• decorcrzy
    11 years ago

What an interesting idea, icicle lights with green wire in garland. That sounds good, I may just steal that idea for next year outside.

Being the internet shopper that I am, I immediately went to the web and the only two sites I could find with led warm white icicles with green wire were noveltylights.com and christmasdepot.com.

And I agree come to think of it, I don't think that I have ever come across any stores in our area with green wire for icicles, seems to always be white. Wish you good luck sounds like a good idea.

• alex9179
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, if I had known I'd have such a problem I would have ordered them a week or two ago, LOL! You know how it is, you have the stuff down from the attic, boxes everywhere, and want to get it done. :)

I went out again, today, and ended up with incandescent, but 200 ct single light strings. The stock of icicles has been decimated whether LED or not.

I don't understand why green wired icicles are so rare. They used to be everywhere. I like lots of lights and they did such a great job of filling the garland.

• lynnencfan
    11 years ago

I take a stand of icicle lights and run them up and down the trunk of a cheap DollarGeneral white tree I then wrap iridescent garland around the trunk to cover up the light wires - then I will pull the individual strands out onto the branches of the tree. That way I have no wires showing and all the space is free for ornaments.....

Lynne

• decorcrzy
    11 years ago

With that idea, you sure are tempting me to go out right now and buy a white tree.I do so luv white trees, so elegant looking.
    I do have oodles of white icicle lights we used to use on the house.

But all I need is 5 trees in the house, DH would have a fit. But the lighting would be so easy. LOL

• lynnencfan
    11 years ago

lol - we had 15 last year not counting all the 12" and smaller decorated ones - they ranged from 2' to our large 9' - most were the size of the white one (6') and came from Dollar General when they were 1/2 priced. Every room of the house has at least one tree - a couple of rooms had 3. This year we are cutting back ...... maybe ......

Lynne

• alex9179
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I always used the icicle lights for my short 2ft tree, too. Soooo much easier than wrapping the branches with the singles. The inner garland keeps it all tidy.
    I have one string of incandescent icicles that still work, and they will be going down the center of the tree. I guess having to buy that kind, again, works out ok :)

Lynne, I thought I was doing well with motivation. You've got me beat by a mile!

• alex9179
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, maybe I'm not being very energy efficient but I think this turned out pretty nicely :) I need to find candles for my springs, and I might fuss with it some more.

An 80 degree day in the south calls for some magnolia! Next time, I'll watch out for the fire ants. Only one got me, but boy does it burn! The good thing about living down here is that there are a lot of goodies to cut and use.

• oldalgebra
    11 years ago

Alex,

It's gorgeous. Love the magnolia leaves.

• lynnencfan
    11 years ago

very very pretty - love the magnolia leaves - my tree is still too small to be cutting sprays off of but I do cut holly and camellia sprays to tuck in artificial greens.....

Lynne

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Gorgeous, alex! Wow ...love the magnolia & pine tog ...& the lights are great ...gold balls ...wow! Beautiful! I'm glad you're back at it!

...and, lynnenc...that white tree is gorgeous & thanks for the tips! (hadn't ever heard of that being done). Jeanne S.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions