Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Any handmade gifts this year?

party_music50
11 years ago

Hello all! GW says "This forum is the spot to share your secrets on how to celebrate the holidays throughout the year.", so it doesn't have to be about just decorating!

What is anyone doing for handmade gifts this year??? I *LOVE* making the gifts I give -- I have given everything from home-canned jellies/jams and salsas, to baked goods and crafts and baskets. This year my sister asked me to make her a bee skep. You heard right! I harvested the grasses in the summer and made it a week or two ago... it's all natural grasses coiled with raffia. Came out 'ok'. Then I was in the healthfood store last week and saw packets of English Lavender. I grabbed a bunch and headed out to get muslin and ribbon and am making lavender sachets for all the ladies. :) I also want to make a door basket for my sister... either a choctaw pouch or elbow basket, so that it's "different". :)

What is everyone here making to gift for xmas this year?!

Comments (13)

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Wow...sounds so cool! Wish I had the motivation to make handmade gifts. I'm living vicariously through my DH. He made a mantel for his sister's new house as her gift this Christmas...does that count?

• oldalgebra
    11 years ago

I've helped my grandchildren make their gifts.

Here's one. They each made a wooden soldier for a couple who live in San Francisco and graciously host our visit while we tour and attend the Dickens Faire,

These were made from 2X4s and a 1 X 1s (I think). They did the cutting, sanding, and painting. Drew the faces in with pencil and then traced the final result with paint pens. The idea was tweaked from another blog source. They were able to make them by coming by the house and doing a step or two each day.

They are also making alphabet blocks (from 2 inch craft blocks) for their soon-to-be one year old cousin. They're making half the alphabet for her Christmas present and half for her birthday present on the 30th.
    Lots of fun.

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

party ... I like to make 'gift tags & 'bookmarks' ...I use photos from thru the yr & some shipping tags, scrapbook papers, some paper punches, odds & ends of jewelry or whatever I come across that would work.

DH has enjoyed a new scrollsaw this yr so he has been making many beautiful ornaments ... we like to work on old wood projects tog & do that for Farmer's Market and/or gifts...time got away & some other issues so the scrowsaw ornaments will be the 'handmade' this yr. We enjoy & I always enjoy seeing your basket weaving works! Jeanne S.

• lynnencfan
    11 years ago

How cute are those soldiers!!!! I did have plans but they got waylaid but I will start much earlier for next year. I am rediscovering my long lost love of hand embroidery and want to get started on some Christmas tablerunners as gifts .....

Lynne

• party_music50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marlene, your DH's mantel gift to your sister DEFINITELY counts! What a fantastic homemade gift! I'm very lucky to have two wonderfully talented BILs that have made very special things like that for me!

OA, your wooden soldiers are adorable! It's wonderful that you're able to craft with your grandchildren -- how creative and talented!

Jeanne, I'll bet your tags and bookmarks are great! I've seen photos of many of your DH's beautiful woodworking creations, but nothing from his new scrollsaw work. Would love to see pictures! :)

Lynne, hand-embroidered Christmas table runners would be an incredible gift! Can't wait to see what you produce!

I did take a few photos to show what I've made...

The bee skep didn't come out as well as I had hoped... I'm not going to try to make another before xmas though! My sister only wants to use it as garden decoration.

The elbow basket came out great:

I also made a sciathog for my niece from my freshly harvested willow... the photo also shows one of the many lavender sachets I made. :)

Now I feel lost. I don't have anything else on my 'to make' list other than some xmas sweets!

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Gorgeous, party! Everything!!! I hope to take some pics before DH's scroll saw ornaments go on pkgs...will try to get that done...wrapping today...blizzard warnings for later today & tomorrow ...good time for staying indoors! (all green out there yet). Your work is so beautiful, party! TFS! Jeanne S.

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Wonderful gifts! Love all of the handmade baskets, the lavender sachets, and the toy soldiers are really cute too!

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Party ...here's a sample of some of DH's scroll saw ornaments that he made this year for the kids/grkids ...

My DH had an old, old scroll saw & decided he liked doing some of this...so he got a new saw this Fall.
    The dark wood ones he 'planed' a walnut log (that was destined for firewood) from DD's home ... so they are getting some of those.

I think they are pretty cool & they take a long time ... fun times! Jeanne S.

• nana2010_gw
    11 years ago

WOW, Jeanne, they are cool. Your DH is very talented and patient.
    Your family will love them. They are lucky.

Gosh Party I just realized I didn't tell you how much I like your baskets.
    I envy your talent.
    Merry Christmas
    Nana

This post was edited by nana2010 on Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 21:23

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

I forgot to add that the 'oak' scroll saw ones are recycled from window sill trims & such ... nana, I know what you mean ... Party is extremely artistic in basket weaving! Love them! Jeanne S.

• party_music50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, WOW, Jeanne -- those ornaments are FANTASTIC! I LOVE that they're made of recycled materials and the variety that he's created is just amazing. Are all of the patterns original?! My absolute favorites are the bells, the tree, and the candy cane! :)

Thank you Jeanne, Marlene, and Nana for your VERY kind comments about my basketry. I am disappointed with my shaping problems on the bee skep, but the construction quality is ok. I just hope my sister isn't too disappointed with it. :(

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

party ... I checked out a couple older scroll saw library books so some of the patterns are from there (not original) ...but the the wood he used is 'original!' Now I've ordered him a Scrollsaw magazine that comes out 4X's a yr. We usually work with old barnwood & sometimes DHubby does some 'fine woodworking' w/oak & such ... he is enjoying doing the scroll saw this season. Thanks. Jeanne S.

(if your sis is disappointed, send it to me!) LOL!

• oldalgebra
    11 years ago

Party,
    You never cease to amaze me with your baskets. I couldn't begin to figure out how to make a simple bowl-shaped one. You make all these different kinds. They're wonderful. Don't send anything to Jeanne until you talk to me first.

Jeanne,
    Those ornaments are incredible! You've displayed some of your hubby's work before, but these are so very intricate. I've always been interested in scroll work. Had a chance to get a used scroll saw once and let it pass. I've always regretted it.

How does he cut inside? Drill a hole and then install the blade through the hole? That must take FOREVER! They are heirloom keepsakes, that's for sure.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor
More Discussions