Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

A Poinsettia Tree

kirkus
13 years ago

Hi Everyone! Wanted to share a project I do with my students. I make this poinsettia tree every year with my fourth graders. Each child makes a 3-D flower. We hang the flowers together as a tree in the main lobby of our school, adding white lights to bring it all together. It's been my class tradition for 26 years. :o) ENJOY! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Comments (13)

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

That's wonderful. What a great tradition for all those classes over the many years. I know the students will always remember being in your class, you do so much for them (and their parents).

hugs, Karen

• ladypat1
    13 years ago

How neat! And you have taught them something they can make at home, and in later years with their own children. I LOVED my 4th grade teacher because she made learning so much fun.

Pat

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

That tree really is neat. I'm sure your students love being in your class. They will always remember you as their favorite teacher.

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

That is so cool. Do you have a step by step "pictorial." How much can the first graders do; how much prep do you do? I would love to pass this on to a dear friend who teaches a 4/5 year old pre-K.

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Very cool. I bet the principal loves you for this!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments. It's such a fun tradition. The kids love to see their poinsettias displayed as a tree with lights. I take a picture of each student in front of the tree for their memory books. :o)

Nancyjeanne, I've done this project with second through fourth graders through the years...the second graders required more one on one help. My fourth graders pretty much do it on their own as I make a sample. I have a parent helper cut the paper on the paper cutter and trace the circle for the center. These are so fun to make. :o) Once, I made one on a pizza plate. Turned out neat.

How to make the flower... hmmmmm... I don't have a pictorial but here are my written directions....

You need 12 red and 4 green pieces of paper, cut to the size of a standard recipe (index) card. Once cut, lay the paper out in front of you with the short side of the paper facing you. Bring the top left and right corners in like you're doing a paper airplane but overlap just a bit. Do not crease...just kind of roll it in. Glue.

Cut a 4 inch cardboard circle. Glue the 4 green "leaves" on the north, south, west, and east parts of the circle...as close to the edge as you can. Then, glue 4 red "petals" on the northwest, northeast, southwest, and southeast parts of the circle between the green leaves as close to the edge as you can.

Now glue 4 red petals a bit in but above the green leaves. Do the same with 4 red petals in a bit above the first red petals you glued down. Cut a red circular shape to glue in the center to cover things. Add yellow punch hole dots. I like them better without glitter but kids love glitter! LOL (Our custodians frown on glitter! LOL)

Hope these directions were clear. Looking at the picture while you make one might help. ENJOY! Merry Christmas! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Kirk,
    Someone gave me a Christmas Entertaining Book for Christmas. It had a chapter on mantles and when I came across this, I thought of you.

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, Kirk. You must be great with your students, because those directions were so clear, even I could follow them, and I am not a visual person.

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

I guess I am visual. Reading, and seeing a still picture aren't usually enough for me. You Tube has been very helpful for me.

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oldalgebra, I love the mantle!!!! I love the picture on the wall too!

Sorry Nancyjeanmc...I wish I had time to make you a step by step pictorial. I'm a visual person too so I totally understand. :o)

Thanks again for the nice comments, everyone. :o)

Bear Hugs! Kirk

• nancyjeanmc
    13 years ago

No need, Kirk. My point was that your directions were clear enough, that even I could follow them! And trust me, without the visual aids, that's not easy! Your students are blessed.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

A wonderful project & neat to take each student's pic in front of it! Knowing how much you take time for the "extra" in teaching. Love it!

OA...love that mantle...looks like a fun book! Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Kirk, you are another great teacher it sounds like. We have so many on here that are so talented and I love it. One of my BF's just retired from teaching and so did my oldest brother. It takes special people to be teachers. Thanks for sharing this project with us.

Punk