Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swest2_gw

What is your one 'go to' Christmas item you use year after year

swest2_gw
12 years ago

My go to Christmas item is a stack of red dinner plates I bought at the GW for 10 cents each, 15 plates for $1.50. They are from Pier 1. They are not just great for Christmas, but Valentine's Day and 4th of July just to name a few holidays I use them for.

Comments (7)

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Wow! Great bargains! Red plates would be a good addition!

My one "go-to" item that I use for Christmas is the Holy Family I made in ceramics class back in the mid-70's. It was greenware that I cleaned & painted & then the teacher fired it in a kiln. I love it because it was made after the birth of our own son.

Here's a close-up view of it a couple yrs ago:

And then here it is this yr (evening photo) on top of china cabinet:

Thanks, swest, for starting this thread! & for sharing! Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Wow, ask a difficult question why don't you! LOL.

I think maybe my Santa collection, that's the only thing I can think of that I've decorated with the longest and Christmas doesn't seem complete without them. Tho on a practical "go to" thing, it would have to be garland!

hugs, Karen

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

Well....I couldn't pick just one, cause I use it all every year, but one of the first trees I like to put up is my Frosty tree:

then the family room tree with all the light and motion ornaments:

I haven't taken a picture of that tree yet this year, so this a past year.

Merry Christmas,
    Candy

• blizlady
    12 years ago

Candy, I just love your Frosty tree! Did you make him?

My go to item is my collection of nut crackers. I get a new one every year from my hubby and I display them on our mantel. Having said that, I didn't put all of them out this year, only a few special ones, because we will be gone on Christmas weekend and I did minimal decorating this year.

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

It would have to be the hand made ornaments. I have so many now that they get their own tree - I have been doing this since the year I got married 1965. There is always a precious memory as each ornament is placed on the tree. Takes time and can get emotional at times but it wouldn't be Christmas without all that emotion. This was taken last year - need to get this years taken but it is pretty much the same .....

Lynne

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

WOW My entire house!! I have boxes and boxes, angel, Christmas trees,Nativity collections along with my tree ornaments...What ISN'T used over and over..nuttin at my house. I have a few things I put out only because they were gifts and feel obligated like a couple of santas but from my Normal Rockwell Christmas tins to my cookie jar I re-use re-sue re-use!!!

• judithva
    12 years ago

Hmmm, my one go-to for decorating would have to be my crystal drops that I had ordered from an add in the back of a magazine years ago. The are great because they go with any colored ornaments I decide to use on the tree. They are so sparkly and pretty they just really finish off the look...as they say, the "jewelery" for the tree (among other things like wreaths, garlands, and table deco too.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers in Arlington County/Alexandria
More Discussions