Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plainjane425

Some more prayers needed here...

plainjane425
13 years ago

DH & I were out all day shopping..got home at 6 and exactly 15 mins later, phone rings with Dad (89) in a panic. He fell in his basement, climbing on a box to get Christmas Lights... and needed us there fast. He didn't want us to call 911 until we evaluated the situation..(very independant and subborn). Seems it took him over an hr to drag himself to the phone (good thing there was one down there) to call us. We found him shivering and in extreme pain...Much to his dismay...No evaluation needed, we called an ambulance. Long story short...he has a broken hip. He also hit his head but was so stubborn and difficult with the Doctors, he refused to have any other tests done. Anyway, - the surgery, after they give him a full physical in the morning, will be tomorrow.

Please add him to your prayers that all goes well...

Thanks...

jane

Comments (27)

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, so many of us going thru very stressful situations at this time.

I'm so sorry, prayers up for your dad too, hope he's not in too much pain.

I could use a few prayers too, my son having EX problems & causing extreme stress for him, the children & all of our family.

• creekdweller
    13 years ago

Hello Every one. It's been a long time. You all are doing fantastic work on your Christmas Decorating!

Finally got my Daddy home form the hospital after three and one half months. He does have dementia. Congestive heart failure, and no control of his kidney's.

We've been home since August 13th. Today, I am taking My Mama to pre-op for surgery on her heart on Monday the 20th. We'll be in the hospital for Christmas... She has to have a value replaced and one bypass. Drs. say she is in good health now, but, the longer we would put it off, the higher the risk of her health failing, and not being able to have the surgery. She just turned 86.

Please keep us in your prayers. And Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your concerns and offered prayers.

Sorry it's been so long since I have posted. There is no computer at my parents, and who had the time?

I see there are a lot of others going through crisis too. I will certainly keep you all in my prayers as well.

Take Care and Have a Very Merry Christmas!

It's been cold on the "Creek"

• creekdweller
    13 years ago

Geez Slinkey, It's been so long since I have been on here. I didn't mean to high jack your post.

And how rude of me. I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. My Daddy will be 89 in March.

Hope you get your Christmas Wish, to have your Dad home for Christmas!

(((((Hugs))))) To you and yours and prayers being sent!

Seems there are so many people sick. The winters are hard on sick folks.

Take Care, And have a Very Merry Christmas!

Creek

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Oh my, looks like many going thru similar issues. I believe on one of my posts that Bleigh mentioned her as well.
    Jane, sounds like you have a pretty 'hard-headed' daddy.
    In more ways than one. 89 and climbing on a box to get lights? I hope the surgery goes well on his hip, and his recovery is not too difficult. For ALL of you!

Yacht, you know I've kept your family in my prayers. Your son has had so much to deal with, and of course you as well. I have been wishing all of you a good Christmas and far better New Year.

Creek, I've wondered so often about you. I knew your Dad wasn't doing well and when you stopped posting, I was very concerned. I'm sorry to hear he has dementia, that has to be so terrible for you and your Mom. I hate hearing she needs surgery and that Christmas will be at the hospital.
    But its good she is doing this before her health fails.

God Bless all our 80-something parents as we get thru this
    with them. For that matter, ANY loved ones of our little Forum Family.

with heart-hugs,
    Karen

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Jane, your Dad sounds like he is what we always called "spunky"--determined to do things himself and hard for him to accept help from anyone. And things that were no problem in younger years get more difficult as we age--but sometimes we try to deny that until something bad happens to us! Sure hope it was a clean break and will heal well--bones not as quick to mend when they get older either. Will pray that the surgery goes well, that he mends quickly, and can be independent again soon. Know you have some health issues too and a full house to look after as well, so this will be extra difficult for you. Just take it one day at a time, and try not to get too stressed. Will be a rough few weeks. So sorry you are having to deal with even more. Hugs to you.

Creek, I can tell you have allot on your mind, and I'm sure Jane will not be upset that you posted on her post here. I'm so sorry that your Dad has been so ill and will have continuing problems. And now your Mom needing surgery too! Can certainly understand why you've not had much computer time. Hope you have some siblings who can also help out. Keep us posted on how things go with your Mom's surgery, and make sure you take care of yourself too. Adding your family to my prayer list. Hugs.

Luvs

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Jane...will keep you, your family & Dad in good thoughts & prayer. Of course, we know when we should slow down...but your Dad sounds mighty independent & I am happy that he was getting ready to celebrate the season by digging out his Christmas lights! ...& that he is here with you all even tho "doing his own thing" turned out poorly. A big HUG to you...& may the surgery go well. Jeanne S.

• valleymagpie
    13 years ago

Jane,

An "independent and stubborn" guy like your dad will probably come through that surgery well. Attitudes have SO much to do with our healing. My mother "broke" a hip THREE times (once each hip and once displacing the replacement) in her late eighties and survived them all. She had that independent and stubborn streak, too.

My prayers to him and you, and to Creek, Karen, and all the others who are suffering this season. May we all have our loved ones home for Christmas!

- Magpie

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness, Jane, I'm so sorry that your father has been injured! Thank goodness he had a phone down there!!!! Gosh, it breaks my heart to hear of injuries and illnesses during the holiday season, and to our family members anytime. I'll definitely keep him in my prayers that his surgery goes well and he makes a complete recovery . . . and quickly. Do you know yet if they're planning on pinning the hip ( putting long metal "pins" in through the broken pieces to reconnect and stabilize the hip while it heals) or will they do a complete hip replacement? (Sorry, after 20 years in medicine and most of it in orthopedics, I'm naturally interested).
    Lynn

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Back again, (((Jane))), to look for any updates on your father. I'm hoping all is going well and sending prayers his way . . . yours, too.
    Lynn

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Jane, sending warm thoughts and prayers your way for DD and you. He must be a tough guy to think you could just help him up and he would be OK. Be sure to let us know how surgery goes for him tomorrow. Take care of yourself while caring for him.

I'm making 8 dz dinner rolls tonight for a funeral dinner. I wanted to sleep but no rest for the wicked I guess. Tomorrow is the last Sat. we will be open for a few months so that's great. Sales have been more than wonderful the past months.

TCMDF,

Punk

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

Jane,
    Sending thoughts and prayers your way too!
    So sorry to hear about your Dad, but like the others have said, he sounds like a feisty, determined person and those are the kind that have the will to heal quickly.
    Good for him on his intention to put up his Christmas lights and I hope he will be back on the decorating path very soon!

Creek, also sorry to hear about your parents, so T & P's coming your way also.

I hope everyone's loved ones are back on track for good health very soon and the holidays are wonderful for your families.

Or as Tiny Tim said "God Bless Us Everyone!"

Candy

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Jane, Sorry to hear your dad's going to have surgery tomorrow, hope he is as feisty after the surgery as he was getting to those lights!!Some recover so quickly so it is just a bump in the road. Creek hope your mom gets through the surgery OK. GF'S hubby had same surgery & didn't even take a pain pill through the whole thing!! I could not believe it! He healed quickly tho. Hugs & prayers for all the ones on this forum who need strength & for their medical teams! Jan

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really appreciate all your prayers and well wishes for my Dad, and Me...it means so much.
    DH and I were at the hosp all day and part of the evening yesterday. Dad had surgery late in the afternoon.
    For his pre-op exam, he had a chest Xray and they found a mass on his lung, and he has refused to have any further tests done. At his age, he said I don't care to know or want anything done...at almost 90, can you blame him?
    At least the surgery went fine. He had to have the ball of his hip replaced and of course is now in lots of pain. They had him up today..unbelievable..just for a short while because he felt faint, but they say it's normal. They haven't told him yet (nor I), but he will have to go into rehabilitation when he's released. He will not take this lightly..he's already saying 'he has things to do' and has to get home. I think he's frightened about being unable to be his independent ole self again.
    As far as him being 'independent and stubborn'...you all have NO idea, but I guess that's what's gotten him along this far in quite amazing shape..and unlike me, never on any meds..not even a tylenol!
    The hard part is that it's just me and DH..there is no other help or support. My brother is in CO..has always been a 'Free Spirit'..keeps in touch with Dad for phyosophical conversations..and that's about it. I'm not looking forward to what's coming next. DH said...just one step at a time is all we can do. I wish I had his calm.

Yachter..hang in there..it's not easy at this stage in life helping to raise Gkids and also dealing with the left over mess that's still 'attached with the ex'...Stay strong.

Creek..glad you checked in to give us an update on your DF and your DM...continued prayers for them both...and you take care as well.

Again, everyone thank you all for your support..it's so warming to know you're there.
    Sorry I couldn't answer ea one of you individually...I'm just plain whipped.

jane

• ladypat1
    13 years ago

Most of the rehab places aren't so bad, and they keep them busy, they don't have time to be bored or lonely. Rehab is also good about helping make arrangements for him being in his own home again. One day at a time. Prayers sent your way.

Pat

• valleymagpie
    13 years ago

Jane,

Hang in there. DH will be a strong support, just as mine was. Be so very glad that your dad's mind is intact (my mom's wasn't, and it was so easy to get angry at her and then SOOO guilty afterwards).

I think Pat is right--I don't even remember the rehab my mom must have done so it wasn't so bad. I do remember that they helped us make changes in the house so she would be safer. Just like your dad, she wanted to come home asap--a good sign!

Love and prayers your way. Remember to take care of yourself, Jane.

- Magpie

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

jane...so good to hear from you & that the surgery went well...yes, tough times ahead for you, DH & your DD. I can personally vouch for how the "rehab" pd off for me...I spent a mo. living in rehab facility (after 2 mos hospitalized 4 yrs ago) & like pat says, you are SO BUSY (getting better)...hopefully, this too shall pass for your Dad. Regretably, he will get bored, lonely & probably irritable alot of the time...losing your independence is quite difficult...esp if you've been active like your Dad sounds. But all you can do, Jane, is "be there" when your body & mind will let you...which it sounds like you have practice doing right now in your life.."being there."

Cont. good thoughts & prayers ... & please remember, that while your Dad is getting better, his body & hormones are playing havoc & sometimes it is so rough for him to keep on...but, no matter, he will FEEL your love in the moments when he needs it most. Hugs to you! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bless you LP..Magpie and Jeanne..
    I'm off again to the hosp and just read your post.
    I couldn't ask for a greater group of 'friends' than I have right here. Your words are very comforting more than you know. I'm glad you all told me that rehab should be okay and not to worry.
    Ooops..DH is calling me to get in the car..
    I will write again when I get back.
    Thanks agai n

jane

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Gosh, Jane. I'm so sorry about all this. I have to say, I know just how you are feeling. Being the sole decision maker is very tough. I am an only child and had to make some pretty tough decisions myself. It is not easy. I'm glad your hubby is there for you. He's right, of course. Don't get ahead of yourself. It does no good. Nothing ever happens in the order we expect anyway.
    God bless you and your family.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Jane, Creek and Yachter, here's sending more love and prayers to all of you. No matter how hard one's life is you can always look around and be thankful for the life you have. Keep looking up and asking for help to get you through these tough times.

TCMDF,

Punk

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

Jane, I am so sorry to read this. What a worry!
    I sure hope he is doing better, and that you are taking care of yourself. With all you have going on, you can't let yourself get run down.
    It is such a difficult time of year for so many. My dad died when he was 50 on the 21st, and was buried on Cmas Eve. I was a teen. So Cmas always is bittersweet. Prayers for all of you with health and other issues.

• janet1_2007
    13 years ago

Tomorrow morn my DGD id going to have induced labor for my 1 st GGD. It is a very stressful situation for all the family, so please remember us in your prayers. I was so happy to hear the good news about Karen's Dad and that Jane's DD sugery went well. Will be praying that the rehab goes smothly, also for Yachter and Creek. I am trying to remember that God is still in control, but any prayer support would surely be appreciated. It is so great to know that there are so many great caring friends in the world, even though we have never personally met, we can lean on when the going gets rough. God Bless You All! Janet

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Janet, I can tell you are concerned about your DGD, and are eagerly looking forward to holding that new GGD. Will certainly pray that all goes well, and both mother and child have no complications. Let us know the name, weight, etc. okay? Luvs

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Glad your dad is doing well, hip surgery for all my friends that have had it(I think 6 now) has gone very well. Important thing is that he does the rehab & don't expect it to go perfectly every day, some days they slip back a little & then surprise you by doing well the next day. Just expect it! Older folks do much better with hip surgery than knee surgery. At least ones I've seen. Check out rehab places close to where you live(on Internet) so easy for you to go by & check on him. Always get better treatment if family is around a lot. My dad had stroke in May this year & mom & I made sure we were there at noon & dinner/supper so that he ate. We brought in a little food ,fresh strawberries,Jello salad he likes, little piece of apple pie from my apple tree apples,etc. Just a little bit of encouragement & "home", pic of you & him or GK's so he knows he's not alone. A blanket or afghan from home. He'll do fine! Janet, I'll pray for your DD & that the baby will be healthy! So several are on my list! Hope good news on all by Christmas Eve! Jan

• plainjane425
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all again. It's good to come here, as I mentioned on another post to 'escape'. Also to 'feel' the caring support from all of you.
    Update as of today...Dad needs a transfusion. It seems there is blood loss within the bone. His blood count has dropped, but I was told that in the elderly it's not uncommon. The problem is he's refusing it.
    We are trying to convince him it's for his own good if he wants to get better and go home. Tomorrow he'll make his decision.

OA..you're right - nothing happens in the order we expect.

Punk.. 'Looking up and asking for help' certainly does help get you through most situations.

Kathleen...I remember you mentioning losing your Dad at a young age.. I thought how strong you mother was raising you and your sisters alone. As far as 'bittersweet' feelings on Christmas...I can totally relate to that. We lost DH's Mom on Christmas - his Dad on Easter..a Sister on Memorial Day, and now our Neice on Mother's Day..
    As hard as it may be, it's so important for us to look forward and find the good in each day and make the most of it.

janet1...I will keep your DGD in my prayers..and will look forward to you sharing all the 'Good News' about your new GGD.

jan..thanks for all the helpful information. You brought up lots of good points on what to do once he's in rehab.
    Pictures, food and an Afghan are wonderful ideas.
    I just hope he accepts going to rehab eaisly..and that he agrees to one close enough to make the visits easy.
    You can see, with his personality...I can only 'suggest' it...lol He's the one in charge!!

jane

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Jane, I just feel so bad for what you are going thru. Not only having a 'fiesty' independent Dad, but all the other problems that have come up. When our elderly parents go in a hospital, seems that the docs keep finding more things wrong. (I sure don't blame your Dad regarding his lung mass, but he definitely needs to rethink the transfusion it sounds like.)

Losing so many loved ones on so many holidays is just unbelievable! That has to take a huge toll on you each year that passes.

I'm so sorry for all you've had to shoulder. You stay in my thoughts and prayers!
    hugs, Karen

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Jane, I was sure I sent a post last week. I am so sorry for what you are going through with your Dad. I hope he will reconsider the transfusion. You both are in my prayers.
    NanaKaren

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Hope you can talk your dad into the transfusion today. Tell him it is like a "pep pill" it will give him energy so he can go home sooner. Losing blood really drains your strength! As for which rehab I would tell him you picked out the best rated & nearby so you can check on him often & be sure he is doing well. I explained on the day they were going to move dad into rehab that it was a necessary step on way to coming home. "They get you back on your feet" Might tell your dad the blood transfusion is like a "super energy drink" to his body to kick-start healing! Good Luck Jan

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia
More Discussions