Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milosmom_gw

The table and china cabinet

milosmom_gw
11 years ago

As I've mentioned , my Christmas theme this year is entirely dedicated to my one and only human baby. He is graduating in the spring and will be moving off to the next step in his life. This of course is common for all kids , however for mine it's nothing short of amazing to have him come this far.
He's had some serious health issues the last couple of years and some very difficult times that could well have sent him in a very different and less than stellar direction.
To say I'm proud of him would be a huge understatement so I've taken every single little opportunity to make a big deal out of things that are not neccessarily "big" to everyone.
When I thought about how to go about this , it occured to me the challenge ahead. After all, impressing a usually moody high school male is not an easy task. lol
The first things of course was nothing frou-frou , over the top or girly. lol
First was setting the color scheme. Easy enough, his school colors. I could have done his favorites but a black and blue Christmas just didn't sound right.
Then it was keeping it simple, he's by far not a "more is more" kind of guy (this seems wrong considering he carries my blood but I digress...lol).
Having accomplished that task , it was then time for the first and most prominent Table and CC of the season. What to do?? ok, his hobbies are broad but none of which would work well in decor (sportsman , mudding, 4 wheeling, getting greasy working on some project truck somewhere). Now if I could bear to plant a heap of mud , build a woodland and put a wild deer in the middle of the table he'd give me a gold medal but .......

As I thought about all the years that have passed and the struggles we have overcame. It came to me, "through the years" , that would be the theme this year.

Off to the cabinet with the mountain of photos in it.

This was the result....

K through the 11th grade. Step by step on his journey.

Complete with a nod to his favorite creatures (and a few of the pinecones sprinkled in that I suffered a great deal healthwise in collecting over the summer)..

which led to the table.. I got sooo LUCKY and came across the dishes for sale on my local online yard sale from a lady and scooped them up just for this occasion.
There will be no mud ect involved, his Senior pic will have to do.

The plates say so many things.
Cheers : Cheers to you.
Peace: May you find the peace and inner contentment in whatever path you choose.
Celebrate: Celebrate each step that has brought you to where you are today and every step ahead.
Joy : Even with the difficult times, what you have given me so much of.

Comments (7)

• phonegirl
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

MM, this is all so Beautiful! I'm so happy for you and DS. I hope he knows how special he really is to you. The china cabinet filled with his pictures is awesome. Then I see the table with his last picture for the cp.WOW Love how you added to the sayings on the dishes. This was a real treat to see and very touching.

You eally have put alot into this Christmas for DS.
    Is DH just a little jealous over all this?LOL

I will be stealing the picture idea for DGD's Birthday Party next year.Love It!

Punk

• milosmom_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Punk:
    He knows he's spoiled but I don't think he really has a clue.. lol DH (God love him ,he's been in my sons life since he was 6 yrs oldand raised him like his own) gave up hope a long time ago of being jealous about anything. He just smiles and goes along for the ride. lol

• lynnencfan
    11 years ago

Just reading your description and seeing the pictures you can tell there is a lot of love and pride in your son - great job. You touched my heart :) .....

Lynne

• nana2010_gw
    11 years ago

MM, I love this. It is really touching that you dedicated your cc and table to your son.
    It's like seeing his life story in pictures!
    The black tc highlights the deer plates and gold chargers
    beautifully.
    His senior picture looks so nice surrounded by the pine, blue ornaments and gold beads.
    Great job.
    You are a cool Mom!!!
    TFS
    Nana

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

MM ... this is beautiful ... the portraits in the china cabinet speak volumes as this young man is sent off into the world. Perfect placesettings ...with those deer plates you found & also the pretty added pair of deer to the cc. Everything looks wonderful! Congrats! TFS this special son. Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    11 years ago

Those plates are just perfect. I like them on their own, but coupled with the fact that they carry out a "masculine theme" makes them even more special. The CC is super. What did he say when he saw it?

• Purplemoon
    11 years ago

You make it hard to find the words to say about this wonderful Christmas you've done for your son. He sounds pretty amazing, but then I know his Mom is...so I'm not surprised about that. Your story had me laughing me in places about the deer and wildlife and mud, LOL. And trying to please a teenage male...that part is more than challenging!
    (Speaking of deer, I LOVE that pair you have!!)

But your china cabinet, once again, just steals the show!
    What you did is incredibly special and I can't get over how fantastic it turned out. You are something else!!

hugs, Karen

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions