Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christmascandy

Snowman Tree

christmascandy
13 years ago

I made this tree in the early 90's.

He was on an HGTV Christmas special for about 5 seconds, but even so I had a lot of people ask about him.

He is made from a pre-lit artificial tree, fiberfill batting, lots of pinecones, faux berries, birds, icicles, and a piece of flannel fabric for his scarf.

He is standing on a 3 legged table with the legs cut down and the 2 front legs are in kids rubber boots.

His face is made of buttons and a faux carrot.

He also has lights inside his body and the 2 where his cheeks would be are red. The interior lights are on a flasher so the lights on the branches stay on all the time and the lights inside him flash on and off.

He is one standing by my childhood sled with a Christmas swag on it.

TTFN,

Candy

Comments (24)

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

He is so special - thanks for the description as to how you made him - I may not get one done this year but will definitely look for a tree that I can do the same thing - I am guessing that is around 5-6ft tall???? Did you remove the branches where the batting is?? - I just love him - TFS .....

Lynne

• elmaly
    13 years ago

OMG!! That is the cutest thing. I love it!!

XOXO

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

That certainly is an ORIGINAL, candy! My gosh, alot of work! He is way CUTE! Ok, got to ask...how do you store him? My artificial trees I wrap sheets or flannel blankets around...he's all decorated...how do you do that? He is certainly a KEEPER!!! I love snowmen! TFS the close-up pics! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

I think he's so cute too and so original.
    Jeanne asked all the questions I was going to ask...
    so I'll wait on your ans to her.
    Seems like alot of work to put him together, and
    You did a great job.

jane

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Well, candy...he is looking darn good for a spunky 17 y-o!! Awesome snowman tree!!! Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Simply AMAZING. What a terrific decoration. I've seen pictures of others, and in different sizes. But yours is the "bestest of all"!

Hugs, Karen

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Thanks Candy - gonna be on the lookout for a tree that will be easy to dismantle like that. I have the perfect porch for one like that .....

Lynne

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

That is too darn cute. You did a great job and I can't believe he is 17 either. I would give him a try, but just don't have room to store another whole tree.
    Frou

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

How clever and adorable thanks for sharing

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Candy, thought I posted to this but don't see it. I want you to know I think your snowman tree is adorable. Just another one of your wonderful creations.

I don't know what you do for work but I think you should consider a new career.LOL I'm so amazed that you made this 17 years ago and it still looks brand new. Love his little rubber boots.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I agree with what all the other's have said, he is certainly adorable. It sounds like allot of work to make him, and it's wonderful that you are creative enough to think up how to do this! So glad he has held up so well all those years, I'm sure he has brought lots of smiles to everyone who sees him. TFS.

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Punk, I agree. Candy should give up her day job and become a Holiday Decorator. The rich folks would pay her good to do their homes! ;o)

hugs, Karen

• janet1_2007
    13 years ago

Candy, You are so creative! That snowman is the cutest thing I have seen. I would love to try one, but like Frou, I can't think on any place that I could store him for 10 months out of the year. He sure is a handsome fellow-- he has won all our hearts. Can't wait to see all of your decorations. Janet

• christmascandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the kind comments. I have had lots of people make similar trees after they saw him.
    He was on the HGTV show so briefly, that I wasn't sure anybody really saw him. I naively thought if anyone was interested after seeing him on the TV show, that HGTV would contact me. NOPE!!
    I didn't even know the HGTV website had message boards then. One slow day at work last fall I was looking at pictures on Rate My Space and saw a posting about a Snowman Tree. I clicked on it and the person said she was trying to make one like the one she saw on the HGTV show!!
    I responded and found out message board members had been trying to find me since the show had been on!!
    Needless to say, I sent out a lot of descriptions of how I had made the tree.
    Then I started being a regular visitor to the message boards, and was posting pictures there when Karen found me and invited me over here. The rest is history, LOL
    Now you can't get rid of me.

TTFN,
    Candy

• milosmom_gw
    13 years ago

Candy :
    He's sooo adorable. I know I'm very late to this but I saw him when you posted, however my computer was doing weird things and wouldn't let me post so off to the shop it went.
    I hope you don't mind that I snarked your idea and made an attempt to put together one of my own. It was the perfect way to pass the time I usually spend posting. LOL

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

While looking at this snowman again I got a (hopefully) brilliant idea. I am going to try and do one with pumpkins and garland. My plan is to cover the pumpkins with the batting - stack them with plain green garland in between each section and secure them somehow without damaging the pumpkins and then add the berries, ect. Just rambling here but I will post pictures in early December if I am successful - lol .....

Lynne

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

That is so adorable. How did I miss that on HGTV? I'm not crafty so would need to see someone actually making it in order to try to attempt it myself. Very cute, you did a fabulous job.

• sarah bridges
    8 years ago

i could use your help I am not quite sure what you mean about the wire form and other stuff could you possibly send me better directions on how to make this I don't want to sound stupid but I don't get what your talking about mostly how to do the tree like what you did with the other limbs and stuff and then like how you did the snow part and stuff please help I know my grandkids would love this susiehbridges@yahoo.com

• Tina Caine
    8 years ago

This is absolutely the cutest most cleverest craft I ever ever come across. PLEASE would you send me some more detailed instructions as well ??? I would LOVE to be the envy of the family (LOL). tcaine@planters.net I am also confused a little about the tree branches ....Thank You !

• Lori Langley
    8 years ago

That is sooo cute. I have never seen a snowman tree before. I'm definitely going to look into buying one to add to my entourage of knick knacks!

• maggiesmith4
    8 years ago

Does anyone have the step by step directions to make this cute guy? I need more direction concerning the tree branches and making the snowman! I am lost when you talked about the wire wreath being anchored by cut up clothes hangers??? WHAT? Some of us just need more help!! Please. He is adorable!!

• Glenda Kamachi
    7 years ago

I would also like to get more detailed instructions . Snowmen are my favorites and I absolutely LOVE this one

• juniegirl23
    6 years ago

SO DERN ADORABLE.. THANKS MILLIONS. I TOO WOULD LOVE TO HAVE MORE DETAILED INSTRUCTION PLEASE

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions