Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

A bit of Winter Outdoor Decor w/Pine Branches

jeannespines
12 years ago

The weekend was above avg temps so I worked on some cutting some pine branches & collecting pinecones for some outdoor Winter decor for the holidays.

This is my 'parking meter' Winter garden! LOL! It's an old tire on a rim (turned inside out) made into a planter probably 30 yrs ago & I grow Hen & Chicks in it. The parking meter has been there a long time...from the town I grew up in. The old sled is from a friend & hockey skates from a GS & the wood sign I've had up a few yrs from TS:

Sometimes I cover the head of the meter w/burlap or a facemask stocking hat. This vignette sits right at my garage door & basement entrance.

That heavy snow we had one day broke some pine branches so these were easy to cut & then did a little trimming on some other pines. Here's a closer view:

I moved my washtub on legs up to the bird waterer area that you see from the back porch/& patio. I spray-painted Curly Willow branches red & used pines to decorate...added a couple of my ball solar lights ...since the pic I've also added some of these pinescones that I gathered from my basket:

Cool 18 deg this morn ...but looking for some more warmer days at the end of the week...so Winter decor is more fun to do on 'warmer' days! LOL! TFLookin'! Jeanne S.

Comments (6)

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Jeanne, I love your parking meter, sled w, Peace On Earth sign and skates surrounded by baughs! What a nice display. The curly willow branches painted red was a wonderful idea and looks great in your wash tub. All of your decor is so festive. Added pinecones would only sweeten the looks.

I hope we have some warmer days ahead too. It's going to have to warm up and melt some snow if it wants me to decorate for Christmas.LOL It was 8 here but not bad w/o wind.

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Love the Old Sled & Skate vignette Jeanne.
    I do the same at this time of year, and seeing it always brings back nice 'Vintage Memories'...just like yours does. It's also something that can be left out all winter and not just for Christmas.
    Nice basket and & pine display and also love how you filled the old wash basin and even spray painted the curly willow for special effects.
    I think if I were a 'wild critter' I'd love hanging out in your yard during the winter..it's so inviting!! lol

jane

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

I don't remember the parking meter, Jeanne. It is fantastic! So what...you went and swiped it one dark night from the town you grew up in? LOL.

All your outdoor decor is so neat, but I am vivid green with envy at those curly willow branches of yours! You are soooo lucky to have them right outside to get FREE.
    And any size you want too.
    GREEN GREEN GREEN is me!

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

No Karen...the color is >>> RED RED RED !!
    lol

Yeah Jeanne...come to think of it, Karen brought up a good point...just HOW DID you come across that meter?
    Was it just thrown on the side of the road or did you
    haul it away in the dark of night?

jane

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks punk, jane & karen...

LOL ...my hometown (where my parents lived & I'm real closeby) put in all new parking meters probably over 20 yrs ago (time flies...could be longer, I bet) & anyway, they sold the old ones as 'memorabilia.' My Mom & Dad bought me one for a surprise gift...I have had many laughs over the yrs from this gift!

Many, yrs later my hometown now has 'free 2 hr parking' on the Main Sts & is a great place to call home..I'll link it up below so you can see the many places to shop (one is my fav consignment store)! LOL! & also CF is a college town...always growing & one of the top places to visit in IA! Ok, thanks for letting me share! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: CF Tourism & Visitors Bureau

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

I love your outdoor winter display, Jeanne.
    The parking meter is really cool.
    I can remember when people used those wash tubs on laundry day!!
    I haven't put my sled and skates out in a few years. I hope I remember this year.
    Nana

Sponsored
More Discussions