Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Holiday Canning Jar Project

jeannespines
12 years ago

I've been gathering up my old blue canning jars to use for some Holiday decor ...& I looked & looked for my canner 'rack' & think I may have it buried in my garden shed (somewhere!) Ugh! So the other day a couple friends & I stopped at a tag estate sale & my friend found one for me $2 ...SOLD!

Today I filled a jar w/Live Forever Sedum as the freezin' night temps has taken it's toll on most everything outside. I got the flower frog for the canning jar a couple mos ago at a specialty shop for $2.50:

Jars, canning rack & sedum:

I'm on the Flea Market Gardening Facebook site & a couple gals have posted some cool ideas lately using old canning jars. This is Annie's & I plan on doing something like this & am gathering votive holders to fit in the jars...yesterday I found 2 for 25 cts ea at consignment shop:

And this gal, MaryDee, couldn't find her canner rack either so she improvised w/this red container...pretty cool:

If you have any jars or racks lying around, you may want to create a version of your own! I am! And if you like Flea Market stuff (which I know many of you do!!!), & are a Facebook user, then you may want to take a peek at the link below.

TFLookin'! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flea Market Gardening Facebook

Comments (6)

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

I love this idea Jeanne! Saw it on the Flea Mkt. site as well. I may have to do this too...just have to dig out my canning rack from under my cabinets...somewhere! Got lots of the canning jars, but I really like your flower frog that fits the canning jar!

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

Jeanne, Sorry you can't find your canning jar rack, but glad you found another. Those are some cool ideas.
    The frog top is an especially nice piece.
    That red container really adds a pop of color in the last picture. It might look Christmasy to add some greenery around the jars in something like that.

TFS,
    Candy

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Jeanne, you are such an enabler!!! Now I want to go dig my blue ones out and play.LOL Not sure where all my goodies are but will see what tomorrow brings.

Love this idea. Your lid is great for holding the sedum. They are so pretty and nice way to keep the old alive. Years ago I bought these votive holders at Walmart in the craft section. Might be worth checking it out.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Jeanne, since I'm so new to Facebook, I often forget to check out Flea Market pictures. Thanks for the reminder.
    I LOVE LOVE the votive one that Annie created. Makes me want to find one of those racks and canning jars now. Tho I don't recall seeing such a thing when thrifting or antiquing here. ;o(

I can't wait to see yours decorated!
    hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

That's a neat idea! Great way to get to use and display your jar collection too. Alas, I only have one canning jar and it's not one of those cool blue ones either. Guess I'll just have to settle for using my milk bottles awhile longer. I think the red tray worked well too and the jars fit in there nicely. Luvs

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

What a neat idea Jeanne! I just love when people create something and you think ... 'how come I didn't think of that' ! Great idea with your lid holding the sedium. It's perfect. I also like the idea of the votives with the pretty things inside.
    You've got everyone digging out their canning jars and holders. Ooops... You done it again!
    jane

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions