Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haley_comet

Alternate use for White Wired Icicle lights?

haley_comet
13 years ago

Past christmas I used the white stringed icicle lights...and this year I just prefer not to use them as it seems everyone in my neighborhood uses them.

So I am wondering what I can do with these lights as I have around 6-7 full sets.

I was thinking of putting them on one of my bushes but I am thinking with the white wire on the green bush it will look pretty bad...or maybe not?

What are your thoughts of white wire lights on trees and bushes or should it be green wire 100% of the time.

Or do you have another thought on how I may use them with the 'icicle' look?

Thanks alot - I have been trying to find things out about this online today with no luck so I would appreciate your opinion.

Cheers

Haley

Comments (5)

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Hi Haley, I also tried exploring google trying to find info on this subject and it seems there's virtually none.
    I read they can look great on a fence, or a gazebo. But that was it for information. I was surprised there weren't more ideas for them.
    Maybe someone else here can help.

hugs, Karen

• Penelope
    13 years ago

How about massing them in big jars, cloches, or bowls, either on their own or with colored balls or pine cones. In other words, use them like you'd use regular strings of lights in those applications, wad them in to look full.

You could also wind them through garlands and wreaths, if the background color is appropriate like, say, on a willow wreath or silver garland. Just tuck the dangling icicles in and out instead of letting them hang down.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

We quite doing the icicle lights a couple of years ago because the whole neighborhood had them. One thing I do is use a strand of them in my village display which is pretty large. I run the strand along the back of the display and each icicle is pulled to the front to the houses and buildings. The white wire is easier to cover with additional snow and you only end up with one plug. Below is an idea as to how to do it .....

Lynne

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

If you have large doorways or a staircase, I think they would look good with the greenery there. Problem is, most of those strings of lights are so long--otherwise they'd look nice on a fireplace too.

If you have tall evergreen bushes, I would think they would look really nice on those.

Around here, I noticed several people are now adding additional strings of lights along with them. Some had colored lights, but some just did white. Sort of gives a "layered" look.

Oh, don't forget the glass tabletop DG, I think it was, created with the lights underneath--these would work good for that too I'd think.

Whatever you find to use them on, please come back and share with us okay?

Luvs

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

I don't have any good ideas, either, Haley. I do think you're right about the white wires looking strange on the green bushes, though. I hope someone comes up with an idea for you.
    Lynn