Painting glass pumpkins

luvstocraft
13 years ago

Here's a blog post some of you might enjoy. Luvs

Here is a link that might be useful: painted glass pumpkins

Comments (12)

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Loved the metallic pumpkins she painted. After seeing the candle holders I'm heading to TJ Maxx to check them out asap.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

WOW...what a super idea!
    I had one of those glass pumpkins too, but broke the lid this season. :o(

Glass painting tip I learned from artist friend, spray glass with clear MATTE sealer before painting. No need to prime first that way.

hugs, Karen

• valleymagpie
    13 years ago

Luvs,

Those are very pretty, thank you for sharing the link. I'm intrigued by the looking glass paint! Wouldn't those pumpkins be gorgeous. I think you paint them on the inside and spray with a little water to give an antique effect.

- Magpie

• prosperity66
    13 years ago

For once... that's something my two left hands could do, lol. Clever crafts, though.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Thanks, luvs..that silver metallic really looks elegant on the pumpkin! And, PM, thanks for the tip on priming with clear matte sealer. Love this blogger's cards, too! Jeanne S.

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Those are stunning, I might have to give them a try, maybe I can find some on sale after TG. I don't have time before anyway.
    Frou

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karen, Don't throw away your one with the broken lid! It would be perfect for one of your pretty flower arrangements. Or just fill it up with candy corn and plop a pretty brown or green bow on top! ;o)

Magpie, a looking glass effect sounds neat. It was funny that I ran across this last night, because I had made a quick stop at a GW and had seen a ceramic jack o lantern in the brightest orange you can imagine--so bright it made it ugly! Didn't even think about spray painting it! LOL

Karen, I almost always have Krylon 1311 matte sealer on hand and have used it when I paint on jars. It just makes it less "slick" or "gives it some tooth" so the paint clings better. Good tip to share. ;o)

Glad you gals found this interesting too. When I run across this neat stuff, I just HAVE TO share it! LOL

Luvs

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Glad you shared this one. And glad to know about the matte sealer thing.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Yes, great project idea and great tip, too, Luvs!
    I'd love to make some of those pumpkins, but this idea can work for many other glass projects, too, I think. Hmmmm . . . I have large, embossed, glass punch bowl that I bought last year at GW for $3. I thought we might use it for the Christmas madrigal DD's chorale group put on, but we didn't. I've been meaning to throw it out . . . until now, that is. It has grapes and grape leaves embossed on it and I'm thinking that a metallic lime green might make for a great wide mouth vase or ??? Thanks!!!

I'd love to hear (& and see) of any other ideas for using spray paint on anything glass. Anybody???????
    Lynn

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

great idea and great tips - I LOVE this forum - now I look at everything in a whole different light. I was looking at spray paints the other day and there are paints to produce just about every finish out there for a fraction of the cost of the real thing .... TFS everyone .....

Lynne

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

You find great sites, Luvs.

I was using that silver paint today on hydrangeas I dried. I want to use them in centerpieces for the Christmas.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lynn, I just recently visited a party blog and they had glued candleholders or stemware onto the bottom of white plates, turned them upside down and sprayed them bright colors like teal, orange, yellow with a gloss spray paint and used them as pedestals for the cookies and cupcakes. It was so colorful and festive! And depending on the glue you use, they could be taken apart again for storage.

Just be sure to not paint the inside of the plate where the food will sit--or use a clear class plate on top of it to protect the food. I'll have to see if I can find that blog again and share it, but I don't think I saved it.

Luvs

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company
More Discussions