Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

A Re-visit to my Thanksgiving China

jeannespines
12 years ago

Thanksgiving is next week & I will be using this china buffet style for our family gathering. Candy & purplemoon motivated me to 'clean' my china cabinet ...PM & I share the same china cabinet... PM was ambitious enough to change her's out w/Fall decor...oh it certainly is beautiful (& she did 2 of 'em)...candy did her's also...so the least I could do was clean my for Thanksgiving.

Here's my Jewel Tea "Autumn Leaf" Hall china:

Autumn Leaf was introduced in 1933 & discont. in 1976...my collection started from getting some pieces from my DH's parent's estate sale in early 90's...& I've been hooked ever since! The Willow Tree Angels are gifts & they share the space:

I decided to take out all the crocheted doilies that I used before & just leave the china sit on the glass shelf dividers...I like it...here's plates & bowls:

A teapot...

...and even a fluted glass candle lantern. Hall China was commissioned in 1990 to produce slected pcs of the china in the Autumn Leaf pattern...they are limited editions & this candle lantern is one of those pcs...as far as I know, they continue to create a new pc each yr.

I shared some pics in a diff post about shopping & I found an electric candle light w/wax poured shape around it, faux berries & mounted on a tin plate...well, here's a close-up of it in my window/glass decor on top of the china closet & it smells so good...Hazelnut coffee-like fragrance."

Here's a full view of the china cabinet & Dollbaby nearby in the dining room:

Hope you enjoyed a little history on my china. TFLookin'! Happy Thanksgiving Day coming up soon! Jeanne S.

Comments (13)

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

I always love seeing your beautiful china, especially in my china cabinet's TWIN. LOL
    The history is intereting on the Autumn Leaf. I like hearing about how things came to be so am always glad when one of you post that. Including if its old family stuff,
    that is always so special to me.

hugs, Karen

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

Jeanne, what a pretty cabinet! You have a great collection of that china and it is displayed so nicely in there!!
    I set my tables (the large dining room table and a card table in the family room) for the big day, but then have everyone grab a plate off of one of the tables, and go to the kitchen to serve themselves buffet style. It is so much easier than trying to pass dishes around 2 tables.

I also have my family bring some of the side dishes for the meal, so I don't have to prepare everything.

I'm definitely with you on serving it buffet style!! Don't work too hard, and have a wonderful day.

Happy Thanksgiving to you.
    TFS,
    Candy

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

You did a beautiful 'clean up' on your China cabinet!
    Although I didn't think that it needed cleaning!
    I will say that by removing the doilies, your china shows up so much better.
    I just love the warm, simplicity of that set...and it is so perfect for Fall & Thanksgiving!
    It's nice you use it as your Traditional Thanksgiving China. It will always bring fond memories for your family. My DM used to use her favorite Blue & White China each holiday and that always brings back nice memories for me.
    I have a few Hall Teapots that I collected over the years,
    but yours is the first I've seen of this pattern.
    You have so many lovely pieces... The candle lantern and teapot are beautiful. Also your poured wax w/electric candle light is so pretty...mmmmm ...smells yummy!
    Those birds look nice and cozy up there too!!Looks like you're all ready for the big T Day!!
    I loved looking.... Enjoy.

jane

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks PM, jane & candy...for commenting & for sharing your thoughts, too.

That little truck on the truck box is a replicia of the Jewel Tea Delivery Truck ...Jewel Tea was sold as premiums for buying home products for my Mom & also my MILaw who were both young wives in the mid-40's. The truck is actually a coin bank...I got it at a big flea market in What Cheer, IA some yrs ago.

Ok, just thought some might be wondering why a toy truck is in my china cabinet! LOL! Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Jeanne, beautiful display. I love these dishes! Your matching lamp is a wonderful addition. After reading about the toy truck bank, that's where it belongs for sure. BTW, thanks for sharing that with us.

Your window/glass decor w/birds in front is so pretty. I enjoy drinking Hazelnut creamer in my coffee so bet that neat candle smells great. I really like the cocoa fireside fragrance that is out now. We get alot of comments with people walking into our office.

I'm hoping to get my rolls and pie crusts made this weekend. Will also be doing the rest of my grocery shopping if I can get out. We are suppose to get a big storm and temperatures of -20 tomorrow night so not looking forward to that. We don't have enough snow cover so Not Good.

Punk

• nana2010_gw
    12 years ago

Jeanne, Your china closet is wonderful.
    Seeing the Jewel tea dishes bring back fond memories of "The Good Old Days"
    I haven't seen a lot of the pieces that you have before, tho.
    I love the lantern and tea pot.
    TFS
    Nana

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

I always love hearing about the history behind things and your china is no exception Jeanne. What a great display it makes and your Willow tree angels are so sweet in the case with them. I collect those as well. Love the teapot and the hurricane lamp that goes with the set and the little bird as well. You're going to have a great looking Thanksgiving table next week!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks punk, nana & marlene ....appreciate your comments.

punk...I like those waxy type candles w/lights, too...in this pic is a Scentsy (SP?) one that DD gave me for Christmas...this is also the Jewel Tea on my countertop corner.

nana & marlene...yes, memories from the good ol' days & it is fun to have some 'history' to some collections. & I think those Willow angels are just so comforting.

punk...busy, busy! One of my DD is baking the pies! ;-)
    Happy Thanksgvg! Jeanne S.

• kathleen_li
    12 years ago

It is beautiful, J. Perfect for Tgiving! I only change my china closet for Cmas, I don't host Tgiving, so no one comes.
    I love that cabinet. I would be thrilled to have one like it.
    You have quite the Dish collection!

• pdg777
    12 years ago

Hi everyone! Although I've been lurking since mid-October, I'm making my usual appearance around holiday time!

Jeanne, I absolutely LOVE those dishes! I think they are the prettiest T'Giving/Fall china I have ever seen.

I too LOVE that you include the history, I love reading about that. And glad you came back to mention the truck; I knew immediately when I saw it that it must fit in somewhere, so glad you answered that question!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, kathleen & pdg! Getting the buffet style set up in my kitchen today ...it's windy but above avg temps here ...so don't have to worry about snowstorms for the next couple days! Happy Thanksgiving! Good to hear from you, pdg ...I went to your 'my page' & your home sounds so comfy! Jeanne S.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

I have the turkey dishes beautiful,my dad use to sell jewel tea..

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bulldinkie...thanks for sharing that your Dad used to sell Jewel Tea! Jeanne S.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions