Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craft night - getting in the mood ~picture heavy~

Posted by lynnencfan (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 17:57

My sisters and our daughters have been getting together once a month for a craft night - something we have dreamed about for years and years. We are now living within 15mins of each other after being separated for all our married lives by hundreds of miles. Our mother/grandmother was a great crafter and loved to repurpose items and I love that my sister and I are able to pass this along to our children.

Anyway last night was craft night and we did Christmas arrangements. All items we used were either yard sale, GW, SA or TS finds along with Dollar Tree and Michaels 99cent floral stem sale this week. We had so much fun we are definitely going to enter some craft shows next year - maybe as early as spring with spring arrangements

some of the supplies
Photobucket

getting started
Photobucket

some serious crafting going on
Photobucket

results of the evening
Photobucket

Dollar Tree wreath w/yard sale plain green garland added and Dollar Tree florals
Photobucket

SA twig rockers with Dollar Tree florals
Photobucket

refurbished plain yardsale wreath w/TS florals
Photobucket

Lynne

Here is link to more pictures

Here is a link that might be useful: additional pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craft night - getting in the mood ~picture heavy~

Well, aren't you ladies busy as elves! What a fun evening! Looks like everyone was smiling & just having a good ol' time! WONDERFUL!

Some pretty creations here! That branch rocker is a wonderful project! & are you each using the pumpkins for a centerpc? They are bright & cheery & will look great on a Tksgvg table! TFS your craft day! Jeanne S.

o

Thank you Jeanne - yes the pumpkins were our first craft night and most of us have them on our tables as a centerpiece. I really need to get pictures of my fall decor and post them .....

Lynne

o

Those are so pretty you could sell them at craft shows!

I'm so jealous of your talent and especially having a sister. :(

Beautiful!

o

Lynn, Such a talented family. I saw on Charolotte News last night that there was a test available now to determine if your unborn child had inheritated a "sport" gene to determine if that child would excell in sports. Us women don't need that do we. We know that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. My mother was a real crafter, and my daughter and granddaughter love to come to my house to craft. I think you could do really well at a craft show with the arangements that you do. I loved the little twig chair too, and the little sleigh was beautiful, loved to pumpkin centerpiece too. It was all beautiful and the memories you made were priceless. Janet

o

Janet thank you so much :) - all through the 90's and early 2000 I was heavily into craft shows - had a very good American Girl doll cloths business going along with floral crafts. Got burned out and also had to deal with the death of my husband 10 months after being diagnosed with terminal cancer and then spent 5 years as principal caregiver to my mother - oh and throw in a new marriage. I am now ready to hit the craft show market again with renewed energy - life is good again :) .....

Lynne

o

I think it is wonderful that you all get together and make things. I miss making things with my family and what a blessing Dollar Tree is for us crafters!!

o

WOW, Lynne. On all accounts! What you went thru with your late husband, your mom, and then adjusting to a new married life...that was quite lot on you. I'm glad things are good now, and you're back to crafting.
Lucky you to have a sister, or any siblings. I was an only child, and never minded...then. Now as I'm older (a LOT older, LOL) I sure wish I had a sister.
Your craft nights look so much fun and I'm so happy for you that y'all now live so close and can really enjoy family time.

Janet, my "apples" sure fell far from the tree. LOL. My mother wasn't a bit like me at all. My daughter and both sons definitely aren't. I'm the ONLY collector-crafter-packrat-obsessed animal lover in the whole family!!! (including my grandmothers). Maybe I was dropped in the middle of all of them from another planet. LOL.

hugs, Karen who's hoping this quote is true...

"Bless those who are cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light"

o

Lynne, loved seeing all your craft pictures. I want to come and join all of you! All the pictures made me smile seeing all of you together having fun. Your a talented bunch for sure.

What a touching story about your life and so Happy things are looking up for you now. I can hardly wait for you to show more pictures of all the neat things you make.

Janet, our installer is always telling me that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Then he turns around and tells DD the same with her D. I took after my DM for sure. She always set the most beautiful tables around and entertained alot. If Luvs wouldn't of talked me into coming over here I might have missed out! I haven't mastered how to set beautiful tables like the others but sure have fun trying.

Karen, your Special and one day things will change I'm sure. You have so many beautiful things, someone will want to follow in your footsteps. If not call me and I'll come running.LOL Love your quote.

Punk

o

How fun!!! and very creative too! Does everyone gather and bring whatever odd items they might find for crafting for the 'season' at hand? I would LOVE to do something like this with my sister and nieces. Heck, it would be fun to gather the items and do with ANYONE! lol!

o

Lynne...I enjoyed seeing all the pictures of your crafts.
I think this is just priceless, getting together with family, and all enjoying crafting!
I liked your twig chair and also your pumpkin centerpieces...also, the lovely basket arrangements.
You all were very productive...not just 'yaking away', but actually working ...like Jeanne said...
'busy elves'!! lol
I agree with PM...even if you don't have the 'luxury' of doing this with family ...it would be great to do with ANYONE!
TFS this...It made me smile seeing you all together,
having such a great time.
Also, I'm happy to hear that 'all is good' for you again...you certainly deserve it.

jane

o

Thank you everyone for all your kind words - as a family us girls are living our dream. While my kids were young I was in a neighborhood with primarily young families. Us mothers would get together once a month also and do crafts. Our source of inspiration was Aileen Crafts. I still have some of those crafts around.

Party Music - we all bring what we have on hand and share. I have all the basic supplies - scissors, wire, wire cutters, glues, ect because I was able to consolidate all my Mothers supplies with mine. We like to incorporate Mom's stuff in everything we do because she was our mentor. Next year we plan to resurrect a lot of her old crafts - she did a lot with old Christmas cards, old wrapping paper and repurposed just about everything. Fortunately we have the original patterns and samples to go by - I see a lot of fun and nostalgic days of crafting ahead .....

Lynne

o

Lynne, I am so tickled for you. I remember when I first "met" you on here, you were caring for your Mom and I remember when you shared that she had died. I didn't know about your loss of your DH however--you have certainly had some tough times! I'm really glad to hear that you are enjoying "good times" again. So neat that your sister's and nieces are close by. I loved seeing all of your lovely creations too, but mostly enjoyed how all of you get together to make them. Such fun, memory making times together truly are "priceless". ;o)

Luvs

o

lynn...I've already commented but after reading more additions on this post, I wanted to share a "healing memory," of crafting tog, too. Four yrs ago I was sick very suddenly & hospitalized 2 mos plus in rehab 1 mo...had to learn to walk & use my hands again. After I got home (which is by far the BEST medicine in the world...HOME)...anyway, my very best friend & I got tog once a wk & crafted...we scrapbk'd making cards & using old pics & decoupaging & all kinds of cool things...DH would drop me off for part of the day & we had so much fun! We did that most of the winter & it was such a healing process that helped me physically but probably even more mentally...she is a great friend!

So, bless you & your family...so cool that you are even still "healing" by sharing memories & utilizing some of your Mom's crafting materials & such...resurrecting & putting your own touch on your Mom's craft projects will be so much fun! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

Jeanne, your story sort of hit home here. My next door neighbor has been in the hospital for two months now and will probably have a couple more months in a rehabilitation hospital before she can come home. Went to visit little GD in Ore. and ended up in hospital with a tumor in a gland and has had three surgeries so far. I just know she is so wishing to be back in her own home! I'll have to remember to spend some time crafting with her when she is recuperating too. I know crafting sure helped another friend when she was going through a divorce. Good therapy especially when done with a friend. ;o)

Luvs

o

Jeanne - good story and Luvs I know your neighbor would appreciate it. My mother bless her heart fell and shattered her right hand in her early 80's - part of her therapy was to squeeze a rubber ball. Well she thought that her paper cutting (schereschnitz)sp did the same job so she used both as therapy. To get her finger dexterity back she took up making beaded crystal ornaments - we all have her beaded crystal ornaments to remember crafting is indeed therapy :) I used both gardening and crafting as therapy - they were my doctors and they didn't charge me :) TFS your stories gals.....

Lynne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here