Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bleigh_gw

Little Girl's Tree

bleigh
13 years ago

Here's the tree my two little girls put together in their bedroom. Bargain $38 prelit tree from Walmart filled out nicely. Since I was being quite particular about the tree in the LR, we all thought it would be nice for them to have a tree they could design themselves (with just a bit of help from mama). Really nice to have all of our favorite ornaments on two trees this year. Was fun working on this one with them.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (24)

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

When the kids were little about 3 I bought each of them their own tree at an after Christmas sale. Best money ever spent on a holiday item. I let them decorate their way.
    It gave them a chance to express themselves and it allowed me to decorate the tree in the living room the way I wanted and not have to worry too much about them redoing it!

Very pretty tree. You're girls must be thrilled.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

oh what a very sweet tree for a couple of little girls - I bet they love it. I really like all the ribbon woven through it - that is just a girlie girl tree TFS .....

Lynne

• jaybird
    13 years ago

What a beautiful tree!! Your girls are so lucky to have you to learn from!!!
    J

• party_music50
    13 years ago

OMG. I expected something that would look like little kids put it together with homemade ornaments. lol! Your tree is gorgeous and belongs in a storefront.

• bleigh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now, I've learned how to post photos!!!

• judithva
    13 years ago

What a great looking tree, your girls are learning from a pro :) I'll bet they are so pleased, I'd loved to have seen the look on their faces when they finished it...Priceless!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Pretty! & I love how it coordinates with the wall art! Fit for a couple princesses! Yup, learning from a pro! Great job, girls! TFS! Jeanne S.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

That's just too precious! I love the colors and it will really make your girls happy when spending time in their room.

I wish I could do ribbon like you, but I'm now using picks & sprays since I'm a klutz. :)

• bleigh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the sweet comments. I like to pretend I work in a floral shop : ) . Can be hit or miss, but we seem to be loving this little tree. The girls are tickled with it...they especially love having the lights on at bedtime.

Quick tip on the ribbon. I just cut strips of wired edge ribbon, tie it in the center (or a little off center)with a piece of thin craft wire, tuck in and twirl. You can determine how long you want your strips by tucking it while on the roll. I'm estimating there is about 12-13 yards of the green ribbon and 10 yards (one roll) of the mesh. Really, really easy with a pretty big impact.

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

Beautiful tree!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

LITTLE girls...are they 10 going on 30? WOW, that tree is wonderful. Tell your midget decorators I'm putting it in our Inspiration Album. And if you decide to hire them out,
    I sure could use some talented assistants! I can't believe
    their tree! I keep looking at it and am just amazed.

My DD, and my DDIL, both had small trees for their little ones to decorate any way they wanted. From the time they were about 3. No more little hands messing with the main tree, all four of them loved having their own trees to do their way and rearrange to their hearts content.
    I think its a wonderful idea to do for children.

hugs, Karen

• bleigh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Heehee, no they will be 7 & 8 next week. They love the floral shops as much as I do. When our really awesome/huge shop closed earlier this year they were so sad and begged me to save it!! They still talk about that shop.

On their tree, they did let me do most of the mesh and the ribbon but most all the ornaments they put up themselves with very little direction from me. Didn't do too shabby on their spacing. Was a treat to work for them... Sure hope they continue to enjoy such things so they can decorate for me one day.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Lovely - dainty tree for little girls.
    They did a great job 'with momma's help' ! lol
    As Jeanne said..I too like how it coordinates with the wall art.

jane

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

That is one pretty tree, I'm really liking the new green this year. Your girls did a great job. We used to have a tree for every room, but have cut back to three. Y'all are so on the ball with decorating so early.
    Frou

• shpnquen
    13 years ago

Are you a interior decorator, or what? This is just as lovely as the one in your living room! The girls must be thrilled to be able to help create such a lovely too!

• bleigh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OH, no, but that would surly be a dream job. Fortunately I get to stay home and be a homeschool mom : ).

• Oakley
    13 years ago

bleigh, (Leigh is my middle name!)..What I especially love is the shade of pink on the wall. Do you remember the brand of paint and the color?

I'm showing this picture to my DIL who has a 2 month old baby girl and she and I have been talking about colors and stuff when baby Elizabeth gets a tad older.

I'd sure like to see the rest of the room. hint hint. :)

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Wow! I too was expecting a "cute" kid decorated tree--this tree is better than I can do with my living room tree! Love how you did the ribbons and how all the ornaments are coordinated.

Really like the wall art too, did you paint it? Very nicely done and perfect a little girls room.

Luvs

• bleigh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oak, I think it's a Kilz color, "Ballerina". Very soft and sweet. Found it at WalMart. The girls have bunkbeds and the room is quite small, but I'll be happy to post some pics. I've had a couple of glasses of wine already so I might just wait until the morning...got a nice set of googly eyes and I know that wonderful camera will go all blurry on me.

Luvs, no, I wish I had painted that art. It's so stinkin' cute. Found it at TJ MAxx. The name of the artist isn't on the back, but our store in the Atlanta area usually always have something of her's in stock. Love almost everything I've seen by that designer.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Darling tree for the girls. It does go perfect with the wall art. I would love this in my LR! You are so great at decorating. No wonder you work in a floral shop! This has inspired me to try something new this year with mine, I hope.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Bleigh, please keep posting with us here. I can tell you are very talented and will have allot of great ideas and pretty pictures to share with us. We don't just do holidays, we show off our creations, bargain buys, pretty dishes, table and counter decorations, etc.--you get the idea. Luvs

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Bleigh, I thought I posted on this earlier.
    The tree is just lovely.
    What wonderful memories you are making for your girls.
    Nanakaren

• Sheeisback_GW
    13 years ago

Very nice! I don't have any kids yet but have been wondering what I'm going to do about tree decorating in the future and I was thinking individual trees in their rooms. After seeing this, even if I do chill out about the main tree, this could be very fun.

Thanks for the tip about the ribbon too but just to clarify..
    " I just cut strips of wired edge ribbon, tie it in the center (or a little off center)with a piece of thin craft wire, tuck in and twirl"
    Do you use the floral wire to attach it to the tree or branches? Did you do the ribbon first, then the ornaments?

I'm going to try it on a small tree.

How tall is the tree?

• bleigh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shee, the tree is 6 ft. I don't wire the ribbon to the tree...just too much work : ) . Put all the ornaments on and then I tuck my ribbon "curlies" throughout the tree. I always tuck sprays and ribbons in last as I like to fill in around my ornaments. I do the same treatment on smaller trees too..

Thanks again for the compliments!! I've really had fun with Christmas decorating this year. Well, the inside that is. The outside is what I'm working on now and it's not as fun : ( . Really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with for Christmas and other holidays throughout the year!! So glad I found you all.

Sponsored
More Discussions