Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edie3

inspire me with your Christmas mantles!!

edie3
13 years ago

Thanks!

Comments (31)

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Hi Edie. We have 26 photos of mantels (so far) saved in our mantel Inspiration album. I'll be adding more soon I'm sure with everyone busy decorating.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas Mantels

• leveta
    13 years ago

Wow how beautiful they are...

• edie3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh, thank you! Off to look and be inspired!

• alex9179
    13 years ago

My mantle from 2008

and 2009

I may simplify this year, but I just love opulent garlands :)

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Wow Alex, those are beautiful. I wish I could get a mantel to look lush like that but I just can't. I'm putting the 09 one in our album. The photo is kind of small on the 08 one, do you have a larger version of it?

hugs, Karen

• alex9179
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks Karen! I'll look and see if I have it somewhere, but I think I lost those files when my other computer gave up the ghost. I had no idea what I was doing back in '08 and sized them wrong...or at least too small for any detail. Too bad, because I like that one better of the two :) I used the flash in the second and it looks much harsher than it did IRL.

Secret to lush is not stopping until you are worried it won't hold! :D

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Here's mine from last year

• edie3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh, love the blue and brown together!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Wow, these are beautiful! Great mantle decors! TFS! Jeanne S.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

There is a reason it's called "the web"....I was looking at one thing, then clicked on a link to something else, which then led me to another site.....long story short, I just stumbled on the Mother load of Christmas Mantels!

btw, I found this Holiday forum by that same method...was in Kitchens a lot, then over in Home Decor and then one day I heard about this forum. You guys are great.

Enjoy:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mantels Mantels Mantels!!!!

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

LOL, beekeeperswife, I just ran across that blog too and came here to post the link! They say "great minds think alike" so guess you and I have "like" minds--not so sure mine fits the "great" category.

Glad you found this forum, you will have fun here I'm sure. Everyone here is very kind and helpful--no disparaging words, only encouragement. ;o)

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing that link, Bee. And I loved your explanation for why its called 'the Web'. LOL. That certainly makes perfect sense now.

Welcome to our craziness here.
    hugs, Karen

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Dawn, I love the simplicity of your mantel. It's so elegant and eye-catching!

Here's mine. The stockings had to be scooted to the side because the FP gets hot!

• dawnp
    13 years ago

I love the contrast of the white garland and wreath against the stone. It really shows up! I have a stone fireplace in our family room and it always looks dark with the green garland. Great idea!

• alex9179
    13 years ago

I wish my peacock blue and brown ornaments showed up as well as dawnp's! I love how they contrast with her light interior. My house is dark, so they blend and don't make that lovely statement.

I found my inspiration from that site, bee. Thanks for the link!
    I've meant to ask you, is your name from the series about Sherlock Holmes' wife? I really enjoy those books.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

alex--nope, my dh is a beekeeper! Just a hobby, we have only 1 hive. The girls were good to us this year, 2.5 gallons of honey!

Glad you guys like that site, there are so many mantels to look at.

• winchesterva
    13 years ago

{{gwi:1451929}}

• edie3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I knew that link would take me to that site. I found that yesterday. Thanks for all the inspiring photos. They all look so beautiful!

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Love the red balls Winchester!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Win, that is a beautiful mantel! How did you get the balls to hang down on it? Tape?

Dawn, since we have dark wood floors I bought a matching white Christmas tree and it REALLY makes a difference in the room. I had greenery on my mantel last year also and it was just blah. lol

• winchesterva
    13 years ago

dawnp: Thanks! They are the large ornaments that I bought cheap at the Christmas shop and they are sitting on candle sticks.

Oakleyok: Thank you. They are hanging by gold ribbon that I hooked on the greenery, very easy!

• bleigh
    13 years ago

Alex, love both of your mantels. I simplified mine this year, but hopefully next year I'll be able to go all out again. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do this year...please post a pic!

Dawn, your garland is really pretty!! The color combination is perfect and you have two of my favorite features...pine cones and birds. Where did you find the little birds? Would love to get my hands on a few of those (please don't tell me they're antique).

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Bleigh, Yes, they are antique/vintage. Sorry! I actually got them at a thrift store for just a few dollars.
    I know that reproductions are still made.

They have some nice red ones at Macys. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Birds

• bleigh
    13 years ago

Thanks, dawn!! I might have to order a couple sets of those.

• haley_comet
    13 years ago

Here is ours - its pretty traditional...simple but we like it.

• alex9179
    13 years ago

Here is mine for this year.

• rafor
    13 years ago

alex: love your mantle! I have a question: how do you keep the part of the garland that drapes in the middle from pulling down the whole thing? It seems that if I let too much hang off (or hang something heavy on it) it pulls the whole thing off. Do you have some hidden hooks or tape or something?

Thanks

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Wow, they are all beautiful!!
    I love the artwork in Winchesters...looks like a G. Harvey..may favorite artist!
    Thanks everyone for posting!
    J

• alex9179
    13 years ago

rafor, the pine branches have long wire stems that I bent at 90 degree angles and fastened to the garland sitting on top of the mantle. The garland anchors it but the angle supports it as well. The berries and other greenery are very light weight so they are just weaved through the pine.

• winchesterva
    13 years ago

Thanks Jaybird...you are correct, Harvey is the artist. We are originally from DC so it is very special to us.

• gwtamara
    13 years ago

HI Dawn,

We are putting together a blog post about favorite Christmas decor and would like to use the picture of your blue and white mantle in the post. Could you contact me via my profile page?

Thanks so much!

With best regards,

Tamara Amey
    GardenWeb Community Manager