Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gulfportgail

Satin Ornaments

GulfportGail
11 years ago

From reading posts, I realize this bunch is in-the-know where to find items at reasonable cost.

I am looking for 100 or more plain, burgandy, satin, ball Christmas ornaments.

I have checked ebay, resale/thrift stores, etsy, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and a few on line sites. I definitely don't want to pay $1.00 each. lol

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments (15)

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Wow! 100 satin ones, uh...my guess would have been Hobby Lobby & use the 40% off coupon (which you can print off)...I don't purchase too much online ...so hope someone can help you out. Jeanne S.

• GulfportGail
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My problem is more of finding someone that carries them. No one did last year (in store) and so far this year I haven't found anyone. I can find a bunch of old (vintage) gold ones on ebay but I'm looking for burgandy.

Thanks for your response.

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Do they have to be satin or can they be 'burgandy' in color? If so, there are good spray paints that would work ...you could spray paint either the inside or outside of 'glass balls' (like HLobby sells) ... the metal hanging thingy comes off of those balls. Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Krylon Spray Paint

• phonegirl
    11 years ago

Gail, I would suggest the dollar stores and Walmart for a good deal Christmas balls. Did a quick search and found these glass balls for .73 at http://www.ideastage.com/Christmas-Balls-793630191.

Good luck. Punk

Here is a link that might be useful: Idea Stage

• GulfportGail
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your ideas.

Yes, they have to be satin. I have an antebellum style home and decorating my tree Victorian...with beads, sequins, etc. Last year, not being able to find satin balls, I used styrofoam covering them with lace, Tulle, etc. I made a few with kits that were satin but they were about $10 each. My tree this year is going to be about 14 foot so that is not an option...as I will need to feed my family next year. lol

• GulfportGail
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A pic of a few I made last year.

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

The ones you made are beautiful GGail! Sorry I don't know of a source ... would be alot of work to cover 100 foam balls w/some satin fabric...I'm sure there's instructions on how to do this. Maybe someone else here will have a 'source' idea. Jeanne S.

• janet1_2007
    11 years ago

I am always on the lookout for satin balls for one of my friends who is not able to get out of the house anymore. He has made some beautiful victorian balls using trims and old jewelery, but it is getting harder and harder to find them. I haven't seen any in retail stores for several years, but ocacasionally find some at thrift stores or flea markets, although colors other than red, green, gold and blue are extremely scarce. Hope you have luck finding them

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Do you by chance have a floral supply place anywhere near you?? You might be able to find them there since florists usually decorate all kinds of trees...and it would be even better if you could get the wholesale. If you happen to have a state tax number, you can.

Good luck on the hunt!

• GulfportGail
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jeanne,

Thanks. Looks like I may have to do that...it's just more time/cost consuming. Also, I have found that I have to put a dab of glue on each pin that I use on the foam-covered balls where on the satin balls I don't.

janet,
    That's exactly what I'm finding...harder and harder and more scarce. I find it hard to believe that retail stores are no longer carrying them.

dody,
    Thanks for the link. I will certainly check them out.

marlene,
    Thanks for that idea. I haven't thought of that. I will certainly check that out.

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

Stores are getting their ornaments in now so we'll be on the lookout for you.

• blizlady
    11 years ago

Try ebay. Here is a listing for more than 40 satin ornaments for $9.99, but the sale ends soon. But I am sure there are plenty more.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay satin ornaments

• blizlady
    11 years ago

I suppose I should read a little more thoroughly! I see you tried ebay. I would go to thrift shops and keep buying whatever they have. Or maybe put out a "wanted" ad at some of your favorite craft blogs.

• bleigh
    11 years ago

Probably no help at all, but if you can't find satin balls this year a matte finished ball would give a similar look. I have seen victorian trees with a mix of materials and the matte balls would be just fine. Good thing they're pretty cheap too.

If you decide to use something like this you can embellish them. Maybe add some burgundy lace or strips of burgundy satin ribbon. If you don't have time to get it done before you decorate your tree this year you can do a little bit at a time after Christmas and have them ready for next year.

I would love to do a 14 ft tree!! The largest I've decorated has been 12 ft and it was one of my favorites. Hope you post a pic when you're all done.

Sponsored
More Discussions