Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pink_warm_mama_1_gw

Dollar Store Disappointment

pink_warm_mama_1
10 years ago

Since I've made the putz houses for under the Christmas tree, I need a good number of the small 10"-12" green trees to make the garden look more real. Filled with every other thing for Christmas, the Dollar Store I checked had no trees. Is this something that will be hard to find?

Comments (21)

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

This must be disappointing after making all your Putzhouses. I did a quick search on ebay and found this set if you would consider buying on line. I'm sure there are alot of choices but not sure they will compare in price.

Hope you will share pictures with us.

Punk

Here is a link that might be useful: Bottle Brush Trees

• janet1_2007
    10 years ago

Try Michaels. I noticed the Michaels here had bags of them in different sizes. Last year I bought some at Big Lots. They should be easy to find.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tried Hobby Lobby today. They had none of the trees.

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

Michaels is the best place, and with a 40% off coupon the bag of trees is a pretty good buy I think. Hobby Lobby never has Village stuff (here in Phx anyway).

Hope to see your Putz Village arrangment.
    hugs, Karen

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

This looked like a good buy on a lot of trees for Putz houses, tho you mentioned 10" to 12" trees. I have rarely seen many in that size. These may be too small for what you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: trees for Putz village

• pink_warm_mama_1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today tried Michael's. No bottle brush trees. Guess that's it.

• pdg777
    10 years ago

I saw some in Michael's and Walmart. I don't think you're going to find them for $1.00, though. Dollar General also has them but they are a buck and some change.

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

I looked up HO scale trees (for a train set) on ebay. Saw quite a few that should work with PUTZ houses. Would LOVE to see the houses you made, I'm still working on restoring some I got for FREE!

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

Just found another site as a link off ebay. Worth a look.
    http://factorydirectcraft.com

• pattico_gw
    10 years ago

I would love to see a picture....because I dont know what they are.

patti

• pink_warm_mama_1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for more help. pattico - if you will check on putz houses on the web, you will see pictures of them and how to make them. One must be my age (a great grandmother) to remember them in a beautiful garden that lay beneath the Christmas tree. Enjoy.

Pink

• Rusty
    10 years ago

PWM, (hope you don't mind my abbreviating your screen name)
    You sure have inspired me!

My mother did a 'village' of these houses under our Christmas tree
    for as far back as I can remember! (1940's)
    I inherited her village when she quit putting a tree up.
    And until about 4 years ago,
    (when my son 'took over' the Christmas festivities)
    I had it under our tree.
    It was always a winter scene,
    With cotton 'snow' for the ground,
    mirrors for ponds, etc.
    She had a number of the type of trees you are looking for,
    But unfortunately they've gotten crushed over the years.
    I know I've bought them in probably Walmart in the past,
    Bur haven't looked for them in a number of years,
    So I am no help there.

But I never knew what those houses were called.
    I did try to repair those that were coming apart,
    With a bit of success.
    And I have added porcelain houses over the years, too,
    As well as people, etc.
    My mother never had any people in hers, though.

I'm thinking now I just may haul it all out this year
    And set it up again.
    Maybe even make some 'new' houses for it!
    And somewhere along the line,
    I think before I was born, but not sure,
    My Dad made a red wooden fence to go around it.

Sorry to ramble on so,
    But thank you for reminding me of a very pleasant memory
    That had sort of fallen by the wayside.

Rusty

• pink_warm_mama_1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rusty, I hope you do get involved because you're obviously one of the few lucky enough to have a mom who took the trouble to set up the garden for you at Christmas time. I, too, recall the mirrors for ponds with the tiny ducks and the farm animals near the barn. The fence your dad made sounds perfect, or one could surround the garden with train tracks and a train. Whatever you decide to do will be fun for you, and there should be no rules. If you cannot manage a garden under the tree, it would be lovely on a mantel. Why not? I do hope you thoroughly enjoy restoring wonderful memories. Happy Holiday!

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

Rustyone, I loved reading your story and hearing you relive some wonderful memories! I agree with Pink, you are so lucky to have all this!!
    I hope you can share photos with us once its set up again.

None of my grandparents, or parents, did any sort of Village so I never even knew about Putz houses till I came here years ago. I do have a ceramic village I love,
    but its so great to learn about others who have these things with a real history to them. I should specifically look up Putz villages and see if I can more to put in our Inspiration album. Will see about that later tonight. :o)

hugs, Karen

• lee1990
    10 years ago

PWM, I saw that you had looked at Hobby Lobby for the trees, but did you look only in the Xmas section? Here at our local HL (MS) they carry the trees in the model car/train section. They also carry supplies to make trees and shrubs for train sets. I hope this helps your search.

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

Thanks for that info, Lee. I never thought to look in the model train area. Didn't even know they had one. I'm going to check there next time I go. :o)

• pink_warm_mama_1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lee1990 - thanks for your information. I would love to learn how to make trees, and will surely check in the rr areas.

• wobur123
    10 years ago

Hi Pink,
    I was at Joann's yesterday and they had a cello pack of bottle brush trees in different sizes for 9.99 regular price with a 40% discount. They were hanging fairly high up over the shelves that displayed the little houses in the Xmas section.

Good luck!

Wobur

• pink_warm_mama_1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Wobur. Will try to get there today!

• nana2010_gw
    10 years ago

Pink, don't know if you found your trees yet. I was at KMART yesterday and they have them.
    Nana

• phonegirl
    10 years ago

Pink, I seen some at our Super Walmart last weekend
    so you could check it out.

Rusty, nice read! Sure hope to see some Putz houses
    this year on here.

Punk

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES