Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Lightbulbs

Posted by donnas (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 13:39

I have read that to help the paint adhere to the bulb, you have to clean it first with rubbing alcohol. I did that and gave the bulbs their first coat of paint. I waited about 48 hours before applying the 2nd coat of paint. When I was applying the 2nd coat, the first coat started coming off. The only way I know to keep the paint on is if I use a primer on the bulb first (no rubbing alcohol). Am I the only person that has this problem? I went to the crafts and decorations forum but doesn't seem anyone posts there much, so I came here. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Lightbulbs

Donna...I don't know either ...some folks on the Garden Junk forum have painted lightbulbs for their gardens I know ...maybe post over there, too. Jeanne S. (link is below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Junk Forum

o

Donna, you should go to the decorative & tole painting forum and ask Paintingfool. She paints on light bulbs every year. She is very knowledgeable on prep and painting. She told me in the past to use enamel paints. Luvs, Anj, and Belle may also have some help on this subject.

Hope this helps.

Punk

o

Donna,

I have tried many techniques.

For me, the best for painting glass, is using the paints that you 'set' in the oven.
They aren't expensive...the same price as other acrylics...have a large variety of colors, waterbased, can be purchased at the usual 'big-box' stores, etc.
They are very simple to use.
I like to paint in 'layers' and doing this, the bottom layers don't lift as I apply top layers.

Paint, let dry, put in cold oven on cookie sheet, turn oven on 250, leave about 20-30 minutes, turn oven off, let cool, take out.

Hope this helps.

o

I haven't tried doing any, but read long ago that when painting on anything glass or china, spray a coat of Krylon clear matte on first. Paint is supposed to adhere fine then.

Gulfport Gail, welcome to our gang.
hugs, Karen

o

Thanks phonegirl, will try the decorative and toll painting site. GulfportGail, are you talking about ceramic paint? I have only used the acryllic paints in the small bottles that you get at Walmart or any craft store. Karen, I knew I had some Krylon clear in a spray can, but when I checked it, it said glossy, not matte. Will have to look for the matte when I go shopping again. Thanks

o

jeannespines, thanks for the link :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here