Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaybird

I need to put a green bean casserole on the table

jaybird
13 years ago

I got signed up to bring that tomorrow for work :^(

Do you have a recipe that will WOW them???? The only one I have is sort of blah.....

Thanks....

Comments (10)

• luckygal
    13 years ago

I've always used the recipe on the French Fried Onion container and made it for Canadian Thanksgiving last month. I also thot it was a bit blah altho others seemed to like it. I'll be interested to see the recipes others post for you.

I googled and there's a recipe where one makes a cheese sauce instead of using the mushroom soup. I might also add Worcestershire sauce as I often add that to cheese sauces. This recipe looks as if it would have more flavor.

Of course to save time one could just add some grated cheese and Worcestershire to the mushroom soup. Soy sauce would give it some flavor also.

Here is a link that might be useful: cheddar green bean casserole

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

I don't have one, Jaybird, but you might try Allrecipes.com or Foodandwine.com
    Lynn

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

jay ... I use the Campbell classic one (may be the one you've already tried)...it's a tradition to have for Tksgvg at our house, too. Altho I see this has soy sauce & I've never added that...pepper & seasoning salt I add.
    Have fun with whatever you choose. Jeanne S.

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell'sî Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular, 98% Fat Free or Healthy Requestî)

1/2 cup milk

1 teaspoon soy sauce

Dash ground black pepper

4 cups cooked cut green beans

1 1/3 cups French'sî French Fried Onions

Stir the soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans and 2/3 cup onions in a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
    Bake at 350ðF. for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir the bean mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining onions.
    Bake for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.

• kirkus
    13 years ago

Hi Jaybird! I don't post on the forum enough...I LOVE THIS FORUM! I am the cook/baker in our house. Here is our version of the green bean casserole...WITH CHEESE! Soooo good! The recipe appeared in our local small town newspaper a long time ago...soooo goooood! ENJOY! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Swiss-Style Green Bean Casserole

1 can (10 oz.) condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
    1/3 cup milk
    1/3 cup sour cream
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    2 cans (14 oz. each) cut green beans drained OR 2 pkg. (9 oz. each) frozen cut green beans, thawed
    1 1/3 cups French's Taste Toppers French fried onions, divided
    1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

1. Combine soup, milk, sour cream and pepper in a 1 quart baking dish. Stir until blended. Stir in beans, 2/3 cup onions and cheese.
    2. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot. Stir. Sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup onions. Bake 5 minutes or until onions are golden.

* We love mushrooms; so I add a cup of fresh, sliced mushrooms before I bake the dish.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Kirk, you have me wanting to try that one now! DH and my Dad wouldn't touch any kind, LOL. But I'm tempted even if just for me.

hugs, Karen

• User
    13 years ago

Not a fan of the green bean casserole - but Kirk's ver sounds good and I may make it myself.

I was thinking that if you wanted to jazz one up in general, add water chestnuts, canned or sauteed mushrooms, and maybe a buttered breadcrumb topping to it.

Jim

• jaybird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay you wonderful cooks!!
    I made an amalgamation of everyone's recipe :^)
    3 bags of frozen french cut green beans
    1 can pieces and stems of mushrooms
    1 can sliced waterchestnuts
    a glug or two of Worcestershire sauce
    a hefty sprinkle of ground black pepper
    a " " of granulated garlic
    1 can cream of celery soup
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    3/4 can milk (just enough to wash out the soup cans ;^)
    an over filled hand full of grated cheese (Princess Posie was delighted to catch the fallen pieces)
    all of that well mixed together
    Stuffed it into a 9x13 pan (sprayed with Olive Oil)
    decorated the top with a small can of fried onion rings
    baked at 350 degrees for 45 minutes

My boss tasted it when I brought it in and declared it the best ever......
    Y'all are GREAT!!!!
    Thanks,
    J

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

JB, you jumped right on that and made a Mega Greenbean Casserole. WOW. Glad you got a rave review.

Jim, the buttered breadcrumb topping is definitely something I'd love. I don't normally care for the gb casserole, its just "ok". But now I'm sure I'd like Kirk's version with the crumb topping.

Thanks all.
    hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Well, now I'm going to jazz up my recipe, too! We'll see if anyone notices a difference! Thanks for the ideas, holiday-ers! Jeanne S.
    jay...always good to get an compliment from the "boss!" LOL!

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I love it Jaybird--just take everyone's suggestion and make the best possible green bean casserole! Glad it turned out good and everyone loved it. I haven't made it in years because no one liked it but me. Maybe I'll try this new version with extra mushrooms and cheese and breadcrumbs and see if I can lure them back to it! LOL

Luvs

Sponsored
More Discussions