Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

My holiday mantle

My3dogs ME zone 5A
14 years ago

I usually hang out in the Decorating board, but this seems to be the best place to post this.

I have always loved Chijim's deer head, and last year got a similar one at Front Gate on sale just before Christmas. This is the first year I am using it. This pic is from their website last year.

I took a plain lighted clearance wreath from last year, and added dried and faux greenery and berries, plus some cones and pheasant feathers, and magnolia leaves. Close-up of embellished wreath -

I mounted my resin deer head over the mantle, and put the wreath around his neck -

I got these old bronze dog sconces a while ago on eBay, and at Jim's suggestion, mounted them (with 2 part epoxy) to some plates I had on hand to make these to flank the deer head. This pic is lightened so you can see the detail of the dog's head. Love those sconces!

I hung the sconces using plate hangers, and then embellished some plain garland I had with things I had used on the wreath for on top of the mantle.

With the wreath lights on. I'd like to get some flameless tea lights to put in the mantle garland, but will get those later, as I wanted to do this with things I had on hand.

Comments (37)

• melvalena
    14 years ago

It looks lovely. I really like how you attached the sconces to the plates.

• Jeane Gallo
    14 years ago

Beautiful! I'm still trying to glue the pieces of my broken antler back together. I have him up and the mantle decorated. I think I'd like to put little lights around my deer, too, but I'm afraid to touch him again. I might knock something else off and break it.

Love the dog sconces. Perfect for you.

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Lovely, very festive!

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

I love anything with dogs! Love your sconces! Beautifu;!

• kippenhill
    14 years ago

Love your wreath and mantle decorations! Seems like pheasants are really "in" this year. I did a pheasant theme for my Tgiving table. Where does one find these cool deer heads? I'd love to have one too!

Donna in Fla

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

nice job ..
    Very festive looking.

jane

• mary_ruth
    14 years ago

Very Very nice! I want to use your photo as an inspirational photo... I love that look. Jim made me just want a deer head so bad with his photo!
    I love the sconces too, great idea with the plates!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I looked for ages after seeing Chijim's and finally found this one at Front Gate last year.

I haven't seen any like mine (or Jim's!) but I saw this one on eBay. You could paint it to appear metallic, or leave as is.

Here's a beauty at Z-Gallerie, but you need deeper pockets.
    http://www.zgallerie.com/pc-5014-15-resin-deer-head.aspx

A couple at Touch of Class -
    http://www.touchofclass.com/p2p/endecaSearch.do?keyword=deer+head&Search.x=21&Search.y=6

Here is a link that might be useful: One on eBay

• valleymagpie
    14 years ago

my3 dogs,
    You've got my style! I ALSO want a deer head. I saw a gorgeous one in terracotta in a Christmas magazine, and now seeing yours I want one even more! Maybe I can make one of papier mache! (LOL)

Mantel looks great!

- Magpie

• dreamgoddess
    14 years ago

It's all very lovely. I especially like your dog sconces. What a unique idea!

• mary_ruth
    14 years ago

Magpie, papier mache! What a great idea!

my3dogs,
    Thanks so much for the links! I agree that Z-Gallery one is so nice. I am so tempted!

• bettyd_z7_va
    14 years ago

I love how you've decorated. Beautiful wreath and mantle decor. Your scones are so unique.

Do you leave your deer up year round or store it until the Holiday season?

Betty

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

I love how you added so many goodies to the garland and wreath--really filled it out nicely. Yes, it sure seems everyone is on the pheasant feather bandwagon this year! What a great idea to attach the sconce to the plate, they turned out great. I like your deer head much better than the "real" ones--always make me so sad for the poor deer that got killed. ;o( Luvs

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

I love your greenery and am so glad your deerhead is faux. Ours is real and over in the cabin and that's where I want it to stay. Yours is beautiful. Your old bronze dog sconces are wonderful. Your a clever one to come up with how to hang them.

Great to be able to see all the fun things you do. TFS Punk

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

I'm glad you are posting your decor over here! Since I have a houseful of dogs, anything to do with them is right up my alley! Those sconces are wonderful. And you did a fantastic job on the wreath. The way you've displayed it all is really eye-catching!
    And I'm definitely for "faux" deer. Animals should only be shot with a camera in my book!

hugs, Karen

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

I was so lucky to see that on Front Gate last year, but ever since seeing Jim's, I had been on the hunt! I paid $41 for him!

bettyd, I change my mantle decor about 4 - 5 times a year, so the deer head is only here for the holidays. This was last year's holiday mantle. I go for a 'natural look, as you'll see with the magnolia garland and subdued colors.

Ooops, since I found this pic first, I must share 'my three dogs', Joey, Jenny and Sam.

NOW, last year's holiday mantle -

And the fall one that preceded the deer head -

Bunnies aren't just for Easter! :-)

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

I am in AWE...last yr & this yr mantle decor are absolutely GORGEOUS! Love how you used the bronze dog sconces on the PERFECT plates! And your 3 dog photo MUST be used on a Christmas greeting! You are very talented & TFS pics! Jeanne S.

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

It's great to see you over here, M3D's!
    For those of you who haven't seen her posts over on the Decorating Forum, you're in for a real treat. This lady is incredibly talented and her home is a jewel box of wonderful decorating ideas.
    Lynn

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

We're glad to have you sharing with us here, I don't make it over to Dec. forum very often, so would have missed out. Love how you decorate your mantle--especially loving the Fall look, but they are all gorgeous. Just wondering if the magnolia garland is faux or real? Lord knows I have a ton of those leaves all over my yard each week and I need to find uses for them! ;o) Can't wait to see more of your holiday decorating--please keep sharing with us! Luvs

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

The deer head looks great, my DH would love it. I like the pheasant feathers in the garlands. I'm not usually a fan of rustic Christmas decor, but this is very elegant, really nice. Last year's isn't too shabby either, great job.

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Lookin' good M3D!!! I could have sent you 4 deers the other night. Mama and triplets ran out in front of us as we were leaving DD's house. DH said a few uncomplimentary things about Mamas taking chances with their babies!!! I told him that it isn't all fun and games to have to take 3 kids with you everywhere you go!! (and I know that for a fact :^)
    I'm so glad to see you posting here! I don't get to the deco board too often...

• pdg777
    14 years ago

Love your mantle and that adorable pic of your 3 dogs. Do they do that every time you light a fire

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whew - what a day! I have been planted in my office chair since 7 AM, without a break.

Thanks so much for all the kind words. I love my little house and enjoy decorating it. I buy most of my accessories from eBay and Craigslist, getting incredible buys on mostly vintage and antique items. The two mirrors above, the tall Chinoiserie lamps with the black shades and the transferware are all from eBay and CL.

I wish the picture of the 'kids' didn't have my office peeking in on the left. Maybe I can get another one some day soon, but they rarely line up all at once; usually it's Jenny and Joey. I call the fireplace the babysitter, because they do love it!

The magnolia garland is faux, bought at a small local shop here in Maine.

jay, I'm glad your DH didn't hit those deer! I have a few visit me from time to time, and I love watching them. I'm lucky and they never bother a thing.

Here's my little house in southern coastal Maine, for those who haven't 'met' me before. It was built in 1937, and I added the garage and other things over the years.

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

m3m...the pic of your dogs is "perfect" even with your office in it! ...soft image & warm colors...great composition! Go for it...print it & see what you think!...for a card soften the edges with cinnamon or matte gold. Well, anyway, I just adore it! TFS your home ...looks like a wonderful place to feel right at home! Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    14 years ago

I love your house. Want to trade?

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

What a gorgeous home, inside and out! And your furry trio do look like a Christmas card. Are they Brittany or Welsh?
    I can't tell from this picture and I feel dumb for asking when I should know.

hugs, Karen

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Enjoyed all your pictures tonight. The dogs all lined up is wonderful. You change your decorations so much for the different seasons. Who else would change out the mirrow like you have. That's wonderful and what makes your decorating special.

Your home looks great and I'd love to see more of your beautiful yard. Looks like alot of hard work has gone into your place. And it sounds like you put long hours in. May the new year bring you more comfort and less work but I don't see how that could happen.

Punk

• judithva
    14 years ago

my3dogs, love your Christmas natural deer theme. Everything looks so warm and welcoming! The outside of your home is wonderful too, I can see myself plopping my feet up in front of the fire while rubbing the ears of your adorable dogs sipping on some hot chocolate! Ahhhhhhhhh

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, and my Brittanys would LOVE that attention! You'd have two in your lap (Joey and Jenny) and Sam tossing a tennis ball to you to throw for him. He's addicted to them.

Here's a shot from a few years ago of the gang. I cover my bed with a sheet so when we all climb into it, they don't get the bedding dirty. Sam, Jenny and Joey, left to right.

Here are two that you may enjoy of some of my tole tray collection.

Found a few of the yard...Now back to work! :-)

• judithva
    14 years ago

Oh, your dogs are sooo cute, I just love their cute little brown noses! Yep, they would get lots of attention from me (of course I can't leave out my yorkie, Toby, he might get a little jealous)LOL

Love the tole trays, they are beautiful, you have a great collection, they would fit in right purdy in my house!

and your YARD, be still my heart, beautiful, and I know I would NEVER leave the back yard, I love water, for now on you shall be known as "the lady who has it ALL"!!!!

Thanks for the beautiful tour!

• soinspired
    14 years ago

Your home, pets and surroundings are just lovely! Very homey and inviting. And, your collection of tole trays are just wonderful. This is exactly how I would picture a home in Maine! Thanks for inspiring!

• ncnana
    14 years ago

OMgosh, I hardly know where to begin, I just love the feel of your decorating. I love the deer head with the wreath and greenery, and the sconces go SO well, as do your spaniels, they fit right in.

I love that wreath in last years holiday photo, could you describe it? Is it metal?

The bunny mantel is great too. I love the berries and things you used on that one. BEAUTIFUL! - Gail

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Gail (from another Gail!)

Yes, the wreath is metal, and I got it on sale at my favorite local shop called the Mustard house. It's a shop in an old house c. 1790, and Pam has the BEST 'stuff'. Some antiques and some new, but nice quality things. Her faux floral stuff is the absolute best. The magnolia garland was from her, that I used on the last year holiday mantle, as was the 2 cache pots and the florals in them. That mirror is from Craigslist.

• ncnana
    14 years ago

OMgosh, And a River Runs Through It, I'm aweestruck I have a slow connection and and I guess the yard pictures weren't loaded last time I was here, incredible. - Gail

• Irish2
    14 years ago

Your mantel looks great as always!
    Loved seeing your pictures again....especially the "kids"
    I went to your favorite shop "Mustard House" again 2 wks
    ago. Just love it...and "Edna" the house cat is so cute.

Thanks again for sharing, Gail! Keep the pictures coming.

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

Oh my, your yard is to die for!!!!! Thx for sharing such beautiful photos. YOur doggies are so adorable:)

• mary_ruth
    14 years ago

I do not understand WHY you even spend any time online??? I would be in that yard all the time! ha ha
    Great photos, love your house, yard, dogs all of it. Your taste is esquisite! Ah...!