Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mailynn_gw

Need help draping mesh type garland on Christmas tree?

mailynn
13 years ago

Hi

Not sure if that is the correct name for it but you buy it in rolls and it is like netting. I've seen it used on department store trees and it is all poofy. Do you know if it is cut and drapped vertically.

Links or pics would be most helpful.

Thanks

Linda

Comments (10)

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Hi Linda. I'm clueless but was curious about it now, so I tried googling tho not really finding what I'd hoped as far as info or photos. However this one link does show some neat ways to use it, including making a garland for trees. You have to scroll over halfway down the link to see the photos. I think its really neat the way she's done the red 'n white, and embellished it too.

Hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: mesh netting idea

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Linda - one thing I like to do is got to places where there are a lot of trees decorated that you can get close too and just poke around the tree and see how they attach and loop the ribbon/netting or garland. I pinch mine together at about 12-18" intervals and wire that with floral wire and attach well into the tree to get the 'puffy' look. This is about the best picture I can come up with using my trees - that is 3" wire ribbon that I used - hope this helps a little ....

Lynne

• luckygal
    13 years ago

I used that stuff (mine is about 15" wide and made of metal threads) a few years ago and it was a one time only exercise in frustration! Not easy to work with at all. I might attempt to use it on wreaths, might be easier.

I think one could gather it at intervals using floral wire to hold together and attach to tree in poufs.

There are three trees with wide mesh netting on the link below. The first one, then scroll down and the last three all use it.

Here is a link that might be useful: wide mesh netting on trees

• bleigh
    13 years ago

I might be a bit late to help you, but I've decorated several trees with the poly mesh. It's very sticky and can be a bit of a pain to work with. If you're wanting to weave it throughout the tree, just fold it in half, tuck, gently twist and tuck. You can also cut it, tie in the center and use it like you would bows. It puffs out nicely and you can stretch the roll farther by cutting. Only problem with cutting is that there is no way to to keep it from unraveling so you'll have to be extra careful with it.

I don't have any pictures of the trees I've just decorated, but I'll try to load a photo of my 12 ft tree I did last year so you can see how I draped it in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree

• bleigh
    13 years ago

Oops...see if this link works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

bleigh - Love your tree and I really like how you did the topper and the generous use of the ribbon - Good job .....

Lynne

• bleigh
    13 years ago

Thank you, Lynn. That was my first tree using the mesh and I'm so glad my dear friend let me practice with her trees. That ribbon on the topper is made out of the same mesh that is used on the body. Amazing how that stuff will curl and puff up... I just LOVE it.

Forgot to mention that when you tuck the mesh (or ribbon), if you're using an artificial tree, to use a tree stem to wrap it in place. You don't have to make an extra step of wiring it in. Hope this helps...

• dawnp
    13 years ago

This doesn't answer how to use the mesh, but I found this deco-mesh online if anyone is looking for the mesh.The prices are reasonable too.

Has anyone seen something similar at Michael's?

I'm not spamming - I've been a member here for years.

I think adding the mesh ribbon is a great idea. My tree never seems to look finished and this might help! Thanks for the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: deco-mesh

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Dawn, thanks for the link! That mesh is really gorgeous.
    I didn't know about it before, so never thought to look at Michaels. I'd love to get some.

Bleigh, your tree is soooo beautiful! May I add it to our forum's Inspiration album?

hugs, Karen

• bleigh
    13 years ago

Karen, you are welcome to add my tree to the album. Thank you so much for the compliment!!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions