Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

New Autumn Treasures . . . Now What To Do With Them!?!

lynninnewmexico
13 years ago

I'm slowly pulling out my Autumn and Thanksgiving decs and rounding up my newest treasure finds. But, at the moment, I'm feeling very un-creative.

I found this darling quail planter at GW last year in time to use him in my Autumn decorating. His detailing was a bit too busy to do a floral arrangement in, so I left him empty. I'm not sure that was the most attractive option, though. What do you think???

{{gwi:1449193}}

And then, after Thanksgiving last year, I found these two pheasants at GW for $1.50 and $2 and now need to do something with them.

Question: what kind of floral arrangement would you put in this new planter of mine . . . or would you put something else in it?? It's 9 1/2" long and about 7" tall.

{{gwi:1449194}}

Pheasant statue, approx 9 1/2" long and 6" tall at it's head.

{{gwi:1449195}}

This Spring, I found this beautiful pitcher, in perfect condition, at GW for only $2. I love it, and look at those cool acorns on the handle!

{{gwi:1449196}}

And finally, I've decided that this rustic votive holder would work someplace. The shade is actually wax, but it only stands 10" tall and is 6" wide at it's widest. That's not big enough to make much of a visual impact, but I like it a lot. I've had it for at least ten years. I bought it new but can't remember where now.

{{gwi:1449197}}

So, if you have any idea as to how to use any of these, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Lynn

Comments (27)

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

I think with both the quail and the pheasant I would use just one kind of greens - perhaps ivy or holly - I can see a trailing ivy arrangement - they are so pretty just by themselves you don't want to have the detailing lost in a busy arrangement. I really love that pumpkin pitcher - how cool is that - I can see that on a fall colored tray with mini pumpkins and acorns scattered around amongst fall leaves - nice finds .....

Lynne

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

What lovely finds, and your votive is really interesting. I love the vintage look of the birds. Maybe some dried grasses or wheat in the pheasant and maybe acorns in the partridge. Be sure and let us see what you do.
    Frou

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Lynn...my first suggestion would be to just 'Pack It ALL up' and send it on to me!! That should help...right?
    I love all your pheasants and I think the planters can be used in so many ways - filled with small gourds..pinecones..acorns or greens. I have a few like that and that's what I do..I'm curious to read what others have to suggest for them.
    I love the pitcher and it reminds me of the covered dish you bought not too long ago. As far as your rustic votive holder, I can see that in a Vinette with some of your old books and a rustic basket or bowl filled with some natural elements. Everything is lovely and the prices were great too.
    I'm curious to see all the ideas you receive for them.

jane

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

lynn...first off, I love your planters! & that beautiful pitcher. I don't know about the quail planter ...but the gold tone pheasant might look nice with some "quaking grass" in it or around it. I think that's what the grass is called...I've heard it called "rattlesnake grass" before, too. Anyway, I attached a link with a pic...probably available at HLobby or whatever you have for craft stores out there. He sure looks wonderful sitting on your beaded placemat.

And that 1st pic is absolutely GORGEOUS ... your sparkly fruit, textures & colors are beautiful & that lovely rich tapestry on the table. All looks great to me, as is!

I know your creative mind will kick in because everything you do is always beautiful! On another "favorite holiday decor" post, I love, love, love that pic of your "reading area" with the NA MaDonna batik painting!

Have fun...great $$$ bargains! TFS! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quaking Grass

• party_music50
    13 years ago

I love the quail planter and the pheasants! Great prices!!! I see them all with dried grasses. :) The votive holder would definitely work best in my living room... on my old side table with corkscrew legs. lol!

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

Those are wonderful items! You did well. No ideas...

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Oh Man, Jane beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest that she get that bus going and relieve you of those things. They just won't work for you and I know they would for me. LOL. But seems I'm not the only one lusting after your great finds. My GW NEVER has neat birds. On top of that, they've really raised their prices this year. :o(

I know you will do some great decorating with these wonderful pieces!
    hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Lynn, I remember your pretty decorated pumpkins, in fact, I think I saved a picture of them in my inspiration folder. I think that cute little quail would be neat in the kitchen holding sugar/sweetener packets or even the scouring pad! Who says he has to be a "planter"? ;o)

Your other two birds are painted so nicely, I know you will find just the right vignette/display for them to fit into. You know the pitcher has to be my fav with those cute little acorns on it. I really like the color and shape of it too. And the pinecone shade makes me think of someone's dishes--is it you who has the pinecone decorated plates?

All good finds, you did good. I agree with Karen, prices are higher and choices are less out here this year too--darn it!

Luvs

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Lynn, great finds and I'm sure you will figure out what to do with them. I can see them on your book case with other items to display. I think the wax votive would go great with your dishes as Luvs mentioned in a vignette with books birds and a lamp or some rustic items.

You always come up with neat decorations and it will be fun seeing what you do with them. I really like the idea of adding grasses with the birds as others suggested. I also like the look of your first picture and love those place mats the others are sitting on.

Punk

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Lynn, I love your finds also,
    I can't wait to see how you use them!!!
    NanaKaren

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

I think I'd put a dry arrangement in the brown pheasant planter. If you scatter things around it (nuts, dried leaves, small cones or acornes, then I'd raise it up just a tiny bit to give the arrangement some more height.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm sorry not to have gotten back here before now. My nephew was killed in a car accident. He was only 24 y/o with a one year old daughter. My big, close-knit family is coming together to deal with it, but at the moment it's too painful to talk about. Hope to be back here next week or so.

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

What a terrible loss! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Lynn.

Luvs

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Oh, dear! God be with you and your family.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Will keep you all in thought & prayer, lynn. Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

How heartbreaking, Lynn. I'm so sorry, and I also will be keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

hugs, Karen

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and your prayers. At the moment, we are all devastated, but together we will get through this. Please keep my brother in your prayers. He raised both his sons by himself and is heartbroken at the passing of Chris, his youngest. He was a very special guy. Wasn't he beautiful? It makes me happy to see his smiling face still.
    {{gwi:1449198}}

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

Lynn...I'm so sorry to hear of this terrible loss to one so young, in your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and especially your brother.
    It's good that you have a close knit family to find strenghth and support in one another at this time.
    What a handsome young man, with soleful eyes...
    May he be at peace.

jane

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Lynn, thank you for sharing his picture with us...
    Chris was beautiful, as you said.
    Losing a loved one at this time of year, always seems so much worse to me. So unfair.
    I know you won't feel like doing the things that normally bring you joy, but I hope if you need some distraction...
    or comfort...you can come here and know that all of us will
    be holding you close and wanting to help any way we can.
    You're part of our forum family and very important to us.

heartfelt hugs,
    Karen

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Lynn, I'm so very sorry for your loss.
    May God be with you and your family
    during this tragic time.
    NanaKaren

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Lynn, Chris was so handsome and I'm sure loved by all. My heart is sad for you and yours.

A poem for you and your family.

attributed to
    David M. Romano - 1993

When tomorrow starts without me
    And I'm not there to see;
    If the sun should rise and find your eyes
    All filled with tears for me.
    I wish so much you wouldn't cry
    The way you did today;
    While thinking of the many things
    We didn't get to say.

I know how much you love me
    As much as I love you;
    And each time that you think of me,
    I know you'll miss me too.
    But when tomorrow starts without me
    Please try to understand,
    That an angel came and called my name
    And took me by the hand.

She said my place was ready
    In heaven far above;
    And that I'd have to leave behind,
    All those I dearly love.
    But as I turned to walk away,
    A tear fell from my eye;
    For all my life, I'd always thought
    I didn't want to die.

I had so much to live for,
    So much yet to do;
    It seemed almost impossible,
    That I was leaving you.
    I thought of all the yesterdays,
    The good ones and the bad;
    I thought of all the love we shared,
    And all the fun we had.

If I could relive yesterday
    Just even for awhile,
    I'd say goodbye and kiss you
    And maybe see you smile.
    But then I fully realized
    That this could never be;
    For emptiness and memories
    Would take the place of me.

And when I thought of worldly things
    I might miss come tomorrow;
    I thought of you, and when I did,
    My heart was filled with sorrow.
    But when I walked through heaven's gates
    I felt so much at home;
    When God looked down and smiled at me
    From His great golden throne.

He said, "This is eternity
    And all I've promised you;
    Today your life on earth is past,
    But here it all starts anew."
    "I promise no tomorrow,
    But today will always last;
    And since each day's the same day,
    There's no longing for the past."
    "But you have been so faithful,
    So trusting and so true;
    Though at times you did do things,
    You knew you shouldn't do."
    "But you have been forgiven
    And now at last you're free;
    So won't you take my hand
    And share my life with me?"

So when tomorrow starts without me,
    Don't think we're far apart
    For every time you think of me,
    I'm right here in your heart.

Sharing You Sorrow - Sending My Love,

Punk

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much for your kind words and for your prayers. Punk, the poem is lovely and very comforting to read and think about. I'm planning on copying it to my FB page this morning so that my family all over the country can be comforted by it, as well.
    I am very much a believer in the power of prayer and positive thoughts, having seen it work on many people, including myself and my very sick preemie daughter sixteen years ago. I know in my heart that your kindness is already at work, for my grieving brother and for all my family. Thank you!
    Lynn

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Oh how very sad (((((Lynn))))) just opened this thread after a couple of days and read the news. May God be ever present with you and your family, your nephews wife and baby. May he give you all peace and comfort and the strength to get through these weeks and months.....

Lynne

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Lynn, Here is the poem I wanted to share with you and yours but couldn't find it before. Please share if it will help in some way. I'm sending more thoughts and prayers your way today.

To my dearest family, some things I'd like to say...

but first of all, to let you know, that I arrived okay.

I'm writing this from heaven. Here I dwell with God above.

Here, there's no more tears of sadness; here is just eternal love.

Please do not be unhappy just because I'm out of sight.

Remember that I'm with you every morning, noon and night.

That day I had to leave you when my life on earth was through,

God picked me up and hugged me and He said, "I welcome you."

It's good to have you back again; you were missed while you were gone.

As for your dearest family, they'll be here later on.

I need you here badly; you're part of my plan.

There's so much that we have to do, to help our mortal man."

God gave me a list of things, that he wished for me to do.

And foremost on the list, was to watch and care for you.

And when you lie in bed at night, the day's chores put to flight.

God and I are closest to you....in the middle of the night.

When you think of my life on earth, and all those loving years

because you are only human, they are bound to bring you tears.

But do not be afraid to cry; it does relieve the pain.

Remember there would be no flowers, unless there was some rain.

I wish that I could tell you all that God has planned.

But if I were to tell you, you wouldn't understand.

But one thing is for certain, though my life on earth is o'er.

I'm closer to you now, than I ever was before.

There are many rocky roads ahead of you and many hills to climb;

but together we can do it by taking one day at a time.

It was always my philosophy and I'd like it for you too...

that as you give unto the world, the world will give to you.

If you can help somebody who's in sorrow and pain,

then you can say to God at night......"My day was not in vain."

And now I am contented....that my life has been worthwhile,

knowing as I passed along the way, I made somebody smile.

So if you meet somebody who is sad and feeling low,

just lend a hand to pick him up, as on your way you go.

When you're walking down the street, and you've got me on your mind;

I'm walking in your footsteps only half a step behind.

And when it's time for you to go.... from that body to be free,

remember you're not going.....you're coming here to me.

~Author~

Ruth Ann Mahaffey

éCopyright 1998

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We just got back last night. I hadn't taken my laptop with me, and am just now reading through these lovely messages this morning. Thank you! Punk, I posted that first poem on my FaceBook page day and my family was very comforted by it. I'll copy and paste this latest one there, as well. Again, many thank for your kind words of comfort and support.
    Lynn

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Good to hear from you, Lynn...& thank you for sharing a pic of Chris, a beautiful young man. Continued good thoughts & prayers for you & your family. Looking forward to seeing you here on the forum. Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Lynn, happy to hear your back. You were missed. Will be great having you back here posting with all of us, again. May it help you through the Holiday season seeeing all the beautiful decorations and reading the fun chats here.

Glad the poems I posted, gave you and yours some comfort. At times like this, one needs it.

Punk

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions