Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 11:41

Here's the recipe for homemade "wreath picture ornaments":
Ingredients:
scraps of fabric (or you could use wrapping paper
cardboard
old cards and a photo OR 2 photos
ribbon
hot glue gun & glue sticks

I happened to find cardboard rings that gave me the inspiration for these but I don't have any more and this year I am making them out of strips of cardboard cut from cereal/cracker boxes, taped to form rings.

Use rectangles of fabric - red, gold, green - that are 3x the width of your cardboard and about 1 inch longer than your unrolled ring. You may want to use your picture to decide on size, the one in the pictures above is 3" across. You could also use wrapping paper, the ornaments would just not be as durable.

I used hot glue to hold the fabric wrapped around the cardboard ring, with the seam inside. Then push a photo and scene cut from an old Christmas card backed against each other, with a thicker piece of cardboard for support, in the middle - OR use 2 photos, or a decorative piece of wrapping paper. This will hide the fabric seam.

Use a braid or cord type of ribbon in a complimentary color, held in place with hot glue, to secure the pictures on both sides. Another piece of ribbon can be glued to the top for hanging.

If you're like me, you save the nicer pieces of ribbon when packages are unwrapped, so I didn't have to spend money on anything but having the pictures printed and the hot glue sticks.

When (if) everyone is together for Thanksgiving, it's a great time to take the pics to make these.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A photo ornament u can make for pennies

Looks like a fun project! TFS!

o

Welcome...
That does look like an inexpensive fun project.
I used to do something similar with my class ea year by using old wood curtain rings. I took photos of the kids and they glued them to the back of the ring and then glued a small paper doily as a backing...They looked like hanging 'snowflakes' with photos inside!

Thanks for shairing your clever ideas.
I'll share them with some of my friends who are still teaching.

jane

o

You could probably use tuna cans with both sides cut out or old canning rings that are starting to rust so no longer safe to use for canning that way they would stay in shape. Cute idea & fun project to do with grandkids! TFS Jan

o

Thanks for the comments, what wonderful options/variations! Thanks!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here