Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Today is Dia De Los Muertos . . .

lynninnewmexico
13 years ago

. . . Day of the Dead, if you live in Spanish-influenced areas like here New Mexico. All Saints Day, if you're Catholic. Out here in our area of New Mexico, the kids actually have today and tomorrow off school for it, as it's a pueblo holiday with dances and feasting. DD's school district has a lot of kids from the various pueblos.

Anybody planning on a table for Dia de los Muertos? I'm not, as it's one holiday out here I'm not overly fond of. Those skeleton figures give me the creeps, but I have seen some very imaginative displays in stores for it.

Anyhoo, happy Dia de los Muertos, if you celebrate it! Myself, I'm already thinking and planning my beauteous Autumn and Thanksgiving decs ;^D

Comments (6)

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Thank you...I don't celebrate, but it's good to hear from you anyway!!
    I actually slide right on by Halloween, etc.. (for me, yesterday was Reformation Day, and today All Saints Day)( I did restock the neighbor kids with candy though....I'm not a total scrooge :^), so I am really looking forward to the real fall decorations. My house is done, just need to get DD there with her camera so I can show y'all!
    Hugs to you,
    J

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I'm right there with you, Lynn. With our Hispanic population here, its a big deal. And the figures creep me out too.
    I'm just trying to get up the energy to take down and pack all the Halloween stuff, then round-up my turkeys (not real) and get my Thanksgiving look going. Thankfully my basic Fall decor is already up. Today's had me going in several diffeernt directions, and none of them for decorating stuff. Unless I get busy after midnight, the Halloween things may be up another day.

hugs, Karen

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

For me it is All Souls Day, and yesterday All Saints Day.
    Day of the Dead , I only heard of that a few years ago, but it is no big deal here.
    It is Election Day, and our schools are open here, but in some areas they are closed as they are used for voting. We vote in the firehouse.

• prosperity66
    13 years ago

Here, overseas, today is All Souls Day or Day of the Dead and yesterday was All Saints Day.

Kids have the entire week off while those who work had yesterday off only.

We mostly celebrate by attending masses both days and head to cemeteries to clean up our loved ones' tombs and bring new flowers and decorations if old ones were broken.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Election Day here today (Tuesday, 11/2), also. DH & I voted via mail-in ballots over a week ago, though. Our sites are open 7-7PM here, but DH leaves for work (30 minutes away) at 6:30AM and is lucky to get home here by 7:30PM. He always does mail-in. I usually prefer going to vote on election day, which is at our local grade school, but chose mail-in this year instead.

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I don't like all the "Day of the Dead" decorations either--although it did make good Halloween decor on that HGTV special this year! All the skeletons and stuff do not make me feel happy, but I respect everyone's right to observe their traditions. (Hmmm, maybe "day of the dead" is appropriate today since it's also "election day"!) LOL Sorry, just my warped sense of humor. ;o(

Luvs

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions