Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judithva_gw

Tablesetting ideas

judithva
16 years ago

I thought maybe some of you might enjoy these ideas, it is a little preview of what I plan to do for Xmas.

These snow flakes are so pretty, I got them at the Dollar Store, as you can see I will be using them as place matts for my "snowy winter wonderland" table setting. But I figure you can't beat it for the price of a dollar, the clear plate is from Walmart...under $2.00.

This next item is from Walmart....but pricey $19.00 each, they are supposed to be wreaths, but as you can see I will be using them for a more natural and "manly" tablesetting theme. I WILL be adjusting the "greenery and cones" so they will not be sticking out and annoying. LOL This is just a quick preview for you all in case any of you want want to go out and purchase this kind of stuff before it is sold out.

{{gwi:1448279}}

Comments (34)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Judith, you are really good at thinking "outside the box", those large snowflakes will look wonderful on your glass table. I would never have thought to do that. Not sure they would have the same effect on a wooden table though. At first glance I thought the 2nd pic was of bleached bones or antlers--is it some type of beach wood? It is very interesting I must say, makes a nice display stand for the plate. You are very creative.

Luvs

• labmomma
    16 years ago

Judith, I love your finds. Very unique. Your table is going to be just gorgeous! How many guests are you hosting for Christmas dinner? I think I would use those snowflakes for entertaining until springtime! You are defintely and inspiration. Keep the ideas coming?

• User
    16 years ago

"...it is a little preview of what I plan to do for Xmas."

YOU! - You're a little TT...Tablesetting Tease! LOL...

Jim

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

luvs, thanks, you are right, the second pic is a wreath of "resin" (spelling?) deer antlers (no deer was harmed in this table design...just my pocketbook LOL )

labmomma, thank you, how many, well for the actual dinner, it may be more than usual (for me) my neighbor will be alone for Xmas, so I will invite her over if she wants to come. I do alot of table settings leading up to Christmas, so for the actual Christmas dinner I will be going all out elegant this year, the "nature look" and wonder wonderland look will be for different dinners or a brunch.

Jim, LOL, hmmmm a "TT", heh, I'll consider that a complement. :) I have to be a "tease" right now, I am still collecting goodies to go with my "nature man look" once it is complete, you'll get the whole enchalada...

• lovemydishes
    16 years ago

Anyone interested in ruby red glass plates??? Today at Target I saw beautiful red glass plates at a teriffic price. Dinner plate 3.99, salad or luncheon plate 2.99. A really pretty pattern.Would be pretty on those snowflake placemats that Judith got at the dollar store.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Judith, I love the snowflake, and I think Luvs is right, yur glass table will make it all sparkle.
    Sandi just sent me a site that uses cedar made into a wreath for the charger plate. Not as fancy as your antlers...but a good substitute. I may try it. I would really have to soak them in soapy water to make sure the deer ticks were gone...and then dry them. But the greens would be free!
    Lovesmydishes, I bought 24 Luminarc red glass dishes in the dollar store, so that's it for me. I am sure the ones in Target are beautiful, and I don't want to look! lol

• dreamgoddess
    16 years ago

Judith, I wish I were as creative as you are. I am constantly amazed and in awe of the ideas that you come up with! I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to use your "snowflake placemats" idea. I think my two youngest daughters and my grandson would enjoy having something like this for their placesettings this Christmas. These are so versatile...it can be the start of a very elegant tablesetting (which I can envision you doing), or it can be the basis of the very fun setting for children. I can't wait to see your completed tablesetting!

A wreath of antlers used as placemats...how cool is that! We're all gonna be waiting on pins and needles to see how this all plays out.

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

I lovelovelove the clear plate with the clear snowflake placemat. You could skate on it, it looks so icy!

Judith, you are so much fun!
    -Jenn

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lovemydishes, being the dish-a-holic that I am, I have the ruby red cut dishes already, they do make a very pretty tablesetting. The red dishes as you suggested would look very nice on the snowflakes too, a red, white, and clear theme would be classic and stunning too. I went with clear because of the white/clear snow theme I am going to use in this tablesetting, everything will be white, clear, and MAYBE accented with some silver...maybe LOL

The reason I am using the clear plates on the antlers is because I want the antlers to "show" through, plus today I purchased some manly nature inspired place matts to go under the antler "chargers", by using the clear plates, that texture will show through too.

Kathleen, the cedar wreaths will make a beautfiul "charger/placemat". I am looking forward to see what you do with them.

dreamgoddess, thank you, I tend to look at an object and try to think of what other weird way I can use it LOL I used wreaths lots of time as a charger/placemat. And definatly feel free to copy, that is why I post this stuff for everyone to be inspired, and inspire me back with what all YOU do! I get great ideas for you gals too. You are right to about the snow flake, you can do a more fun theme for the kids too, snowflakes are versitile LOL Make sure you post us a photo!

Jen, thank you, yes, this is going to be one over the top table, I will save this one for a early seasonal dinner with my DD, she is more used to my "excesses" LOL She will roll her eyes, but she will be smiling too. LOL

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hmmm, for a minute there I thought you were trying to "tell us something" with your "manly" tablescape decor. That might be a happy surprise for the holidays. ;o) Just teasing you, Judith, I think a woodsy look is a great idea, and so appropriate for the winter season. Luvs

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Love the antlered wreath...so unique and such a great idea too! I am going out tomorrow and see what I can find.

Michelle

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Hi Michelle, are you home from Ohio yet??

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Luvs, LOL, no, not that kind of news LOLOLO, this look is for my DD's SO, he always has to put up with my normally more girly settings, so I thought I'd give him a break for one of my dinners. But, I like the look myself, I do love a nature look, but I think this one edges more to the more masculine look (if it comes out like I want)...still working on it.

Michelle, thank you, I hope you find them. If you can post a pic, we all like pictures and ideas.

• omac
    16 years ago

Judith

I'm having trouble opening your pictures on photoshare.

Is there a trick or am I just computer dumb?

Carol

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Judith, did you get the snowflakes in Dollar Tree or King or???

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

omac, you should not be having trouble seeing my photos since they are "in" the Post, (they are not a link), so I am not sure why you can't see them?

kathleen, I got them at the Dollar Tree. I hope you find them, they went fast in this area for that fantastic price! I must have bought 20 at least myself LOL

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

20! OMG Judith, you are worse than I am! I don't have room for 20 at the table!
    Thank you for telling me, I do have a dollar tree, and I will look!

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kathleen, heh, heh, the 20 are not "just" for the table, they have other uses...for example, I will be attaching a large snow flake to a large package going to my DD, some will be the "package" itself. I love doing "fancy package" wrappings. Some with dangle from branches out-side...etc. (Plus, sometimes my "eyerolling DD" will love what I purchase and want me to give them to her so she can do the same thing) LOL

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Good ideas!
    I hope we don't have real ice flakes for Christmas, makes travel difficult...
    I am trying to head to DT tomorrow, a stealth mission, if you get my drift!

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kathleen, I agree traveling in snow and ice is indeed nerve wracking! It doesn't happen much here thank goodness. Hmmm, stealth mission...does that mean "what hubby doesn't know won't hurt him"? LOL Until he opens the closet door and 40 giant fake snowflakes fall down on his head LOL Try "esplaining" that "Luuuucy". ;) LOL

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Oh, Luucy has lots of splaining to do LOL. The new one is...it's for the gkids..works like a charm. Hope Dr Phil isn't reading this!

• donnawb
    16 years ago

I love the snowflake idea. You are so creative. I haven't seen them in my dollar tree, but I will take a look because I have a glass table and I know that my grandchildren would love that.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Those big ones sold out at our Dollar Tree really fast. One lady was buying lots and lots of them for her husband to use to decorate the foyer of the hotel where he was manager. You really do have to grab stuff when you first see it or it won't be there when you come back! Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dd50, I hope you find them. I try to hit all the Dollar Stores that are in my area when I am "on the hunt". LOL

Luvs, they went fast in my area too, I wish I had bought more! Just could not beat that price!! My thoughts are just like yours: "if you snooze you lose" LOL, that is why I start shopping early! I hit a few Drug Stores yesterday, sometimes there are some "gems" at those stores too. I did find 2 very nice looking reindeer for a tablesetting (2 for $10) at one of the Drug stores yesterday so keep those places in mind too.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

I saw this in a mag I had, and it reminded me of Judith's dollar store flake. This one is made of heavy paper or stock, and more of a casual look. Since I have the red glass plates, this might work better for me for a child friendly table.
    So if you can't get the plastic ones, look for big paper snowflakes...

• kittym
    16 years ago

Saw this in mag...buy some children's mittens at dollar store, place sprig of pine or holly inside mitten, insert silverware, place of top on napkin. looked very nice.

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

kittym, that sounds like a really sweet idea for a table. Thanks for sharing.

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Kathleen, I wonder if the Party supply stores would have the paper flakes? That's a cute idea too, and perfect for the little ones. Hi Kittym, love the stocking idea for the silverware too. Would add a pop of color and be cute too. Luvs

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kathleen those are really pretty too for a tablesetting, and I agree with Luvs you can probably find them at a party store. BUT, if you don't mind almost the same look, at the dollar store they have large pretty styrofoam "like" snow flakes there too which would work really well also.

kittym, that is a good idea too, I have also used the really cute cotton holiday designed socks from Target, Walmart, Kmart to hold utensils too.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Judith, actually went to 2 Dollar Trees today, it was like a miracle. We had a party to attend and right there ...a Dollar Tree. I was so excited. But they had none of the big ones like yours. so on the way home went to another. They had yours, and white, and foam, but the foam came 6 to a pkg and maybe salad plate size.
    Did your DTree have the large white foam??? I am just thinking for the kids, the plate might slip on the plastic??
    Luvs, the party store would be a good place to look, or even reg stores that sell decos. I bet your gdau would love a snowflake table.
    I have to go back without you know who sitting in the car waiting. I did pick up a few of each kind to play with!! And little ones for name cards or napkin rings. And just to make the stop off practical, got the Cmas cards for gkids, very cute 2 for a $...have to wait till the new baby is born in a week or so to get that card! I had more fun in the dollar store than the luncheon party..
    Saw some jeweled cone trees Judith would bling up her table with...did you see them J?

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kathleen, I am glad you found some of the snowflakes, the ones like mine were sold out pretty fast in this area...I did not help much, I whipped out 3 stores at least LOL.

They had the large foam like snowflakes a few days ago, I don't know if they still have them. I don't remember seeing any jeweled cone trees...I am sure if I did, you would be right... I would have bought them LOL
    Kathleen, when you go to those parties, don't you just want to be able to "tweek" them? LOL

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Thanks, Judith. I think the large foam would be the thing for the little ones. I know I could make them, but I don't have the patience to cut like that anymore! So I will make another trip. They were still unloading boxes. I got the pkgs of the samller ones, I can always return them if I find the big ones.
    I can't wait to see what your grown up table with the snowflakes looks like! I think some silver accents would be beautiful!!

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kathleen, I agree with you, there is no way I would want to be cutting them out either!
    Yes, I agree silver would look great.... I will most likely do both looks, got to get my biggest bang for the buck LOL

• yachter123
    16 years ago

HI all, I have been MIA for a while. Just so busy raising grandson, school activities, dentist appts, keeping up laundry etc.

My camera is BROKEN! I can't take any pics of my Thanksgiving table! I dropped it when we were in Indiana in Aug. It worked fine til I went to charge the battery, it drained the battery overnite & now it won't turn on or off & it's not the battery, it's the camera! The warranty is void since it has been dropped & you can see a small dent where it was dropped, so I'm minus a camera for the HOLIDAYS!!! YIKES!

This is the third camera in two years. I am not good with electronic things it seems. I think I have a magnetic field around me that ruins things electronic. My cell phone acts up all the time too, on my 3rd one of those this year too!

Anyway, luv seeing a few of your ideas Judith, we all wait anxiously for your tables!!! Did I miss your Thanksgiving one? I'll have to check the other threads.

Also, have been busy with helping in the search for Stacy Peterson, it is going on in a town near me. Everyday there is more strange twists & turns about the husband & possibly the town government itself! It's a mess.

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving, we have 11 coming as of today. I need to get busy Monday, have to run out tomorrow(Sunday) and try to find more gold plates!!!!

I'll see if I can have my son take some pics & put them on a disc so I can post them!

I have some neat things for my xmas table & livingroom decor so far, doing gold & white, so we shall see how that
    turns out! I can't wait to see everyones Thanksgiving & Christmas decor!!!

Miss having time to come here.....