Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonnieann925

Italian dinner party in front of the fire tonight

bonnieann925
13 years ago

We're using our "new" Duncan Phyfe table tonight for a dinner party/wine tasting in the living room in front of the fireplace. We put the table front and center, fully opened with both leafs added.

We're having crabmeat dip with veggies, cheese and crackers, homemade baked lasagna, salad, garlic bread and tiramisu for dessert.

I used my late mother's Evesham dinnerware for a fall look. She bought every single piece in the collection, so I'll be putting out a coordinated look tonight w/ all the serving pieces, etc.

Comments (13)

• party_music50
    13 years ago

OMG. Bonnie, what time should I be there? I'll bring my homemade limoncello. It gets RAVES! :)

Your table (your home!) is beautiful!!! And I'm a foodie, if you couldn't guess. lol! I LOVE a good tiramisu! and I haven't made or had one in many years. I'd love to know about the wine tasting! I've been thinking about doing one for a couple of years... I just don't know about wines, so it's really more for ME! :) I'd like to do something with a few "party" twists -- somewhere around the holidays. I just don't have it formulated yet, so if you have ideas/suggestions for me, I'd love to hear them! :)

Oh yeah, the table is GORGEOUS! I'm amazed at how big it opens out to! I remember the photos when you bought it, and it looked so small... it was against a wall, right? what a terrifically functional table!

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

That table is wonderful, and I remember how thrilled you were when you found it. Such a nice, versatile piece. So neat that you have your Mom's china (we need a closeup pic, of course) and will be using and enjoying it. Know you will have a wonderful time and your menu sounds yummy--been a long time since I've had lazagna and I love it!

Luvs

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Bonnie, you have a beautiful home, your 'new' table looks wonderful in front of the fireplace. The table setting is perfect I'd like to see a close up those dishes as well. Dinner sounds really good!
    NanaKaren

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much for your sweet comments. I can't believe Party and Luvs remember my excitement at finding this table on Craig's List. I had been looking for a very long time for one like this and most were out of my price range.

NanaKaren, here's a close-up of my mother's Evesham. I miss her so much all the time, but particularly at this time of the year with the holidays approaching. She used this dinnerware for all the holiday meals. She loved collecting the pieces...for her it was the thrill of the hunt!

Party, I'll write back tomorrow w/ a description of the wines. Being a foodie, you'll get a kick out of this. My DH was able to find purple cauliflower as one of the veggies to go with the crabmeat dip.

Here's a close-up. The flatware is Towle Grand Duchess sterling silver, the wine glasses are Riedels. The little blue wine coaster is from a recent trip to the Amalfi Coast. My DH has the champagne flutes lined up in the kitchen (we're starting w/ Prosecco!):

• party_music50
    13 years ago

I *LOVE* the plates! perfect match with the tablecloth, too. And I'm envious of your Amalfi trip!!!!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Oh, your Mom's dinnerware is perfect! And all the more special because of the great memories it brings! I remember that table find & it looks wonderful all stretched out with your DF chairs. Have fun...menu sounds wonderful & your room is beautiful! TFS! Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Bonnie, your fireside dinner party sounds wonderful. What a perfect setting for a dinner using your mother's dinnerware. If you have time, I hope you will take a few pictures to share.

Hope you all have a great time. I've never had tiramisu but I'm sure I'd love it.

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Bonnie, What a wonderful way to honor your Mother, by using her lovely dinnerware.
    NanaKaren

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all! We had a really enjoyable evening. Here's the wine list as promised (belief it or not, there's one bottle missing. It was a Prosecco and we ditched it in favor of Prosecco #2, so it's the the refrigerator and we'll finish it tonight).

The one that is missing is Mionetto 1887 Prosecco. The other wines in order from left to right are:
    Rive Della Chiesa Prosecco (yum!)
    Rosso DiMontalcino Scopono 2007
    Valpolicella Classico Stefano According 2008
    Rosso DiMontalcino Valentiano 2007 (my fav)

All the wines were good, some better than others. We obviously enjoyed them because 6 people drank 4 1/2 bottles of wine. It was throughout the evening with plenty of appetizers and a hearty meal.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Looks like the makings of a wonderful Fall dinner party, Bonnie! I'm glad that you added the pic of your dinnerware; it's lovely.

• ladypat1
    13 years ago

Oh, who wouldn't feel welcome at that table. SO beautiful to see the table set in front of the fireplace. Classy dishes, your mom had good taste! pat

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

A beautiful table, and setting, and delicious meal...
    can't ask for more than that! I bet your Mom was smiling down on you seeing how good her dishes looked with that tablecloth!

hugs, Karen

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

The dishes are beautiful, and I love full sets of anything. I've always liked any kind or fruit plates. The menu sounded scrumptious and I love the table in front of the fire place.
    Frou

Sponsored
More Discussions