Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judithva_gw

More Christmas tree inspirations

judithva
16 years ago

I was perusing a favorite site, and thought I'd post a few trees for you all.

A simple white tree with Dollar store mirror balls.

{{gwi:1447814}}

A beautiful tree full of ornaments.

A upside down tree (foreground)...I think they are cool..

the background tree is a wire type tree.

This is one of those very simple "wire outside trees" decorated.

Another view of the wire outside style of tree.

Comments (38)

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Wow, those are amazing-- thank you for sharing.

SO SO many ornaments on them. It's got me thinking I'll have to try to really layer mine in this year.

-Jenn

• tamgypsy
    16 years ago

I love the pictures and like Jenn I have to try to layer my tree this year. I have every year a hard time decorating my tree and never quite get it to look the way I like. Part of the issue is that I use mostly rustic type of ornaments and only very few burgundy, green and gold glassballs. I never know what to put further into the branches and what to put on the outside. I will need to study all these tree pictures that have been posted recently. Anyone have any advice?

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I use filler of gold to get into those spots that I might have missed when decorating. I have so many ornaments that once I get them on the tree, I am afraid to touch anything. :)

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tam, the way I do my tree (depending on the color scheme): I first use boxes and boxes of cheap plain balls, for example the gold shiny plain balls (walmart, Kmart etc), I will put the gold in the "insides" of the tree to fill and to add sparkle for within the tree, then I would also add a few boxes of plain cheap red shiny balls inside (to carry out color theme). The prettist, or sentimental, or expensive etc...whatever I want to be seen and appreciated are placed on the near-outside tips/area of the tree. This way it is cheaper to decorate, you are only putting the more decortive and expensive ones on the outside of the tree (not the inside, where they would hardly show anyway). Hope that makes sense...

For instance, my red tree last year consisted of:
    Plain Gold balls Walmart-cheap
    Plain Red balls Walmart -cheap
    Fancy red decorated balls (different stores, even Walmart has fancy pretties)
    Fancy Gold decorated balls (different store, even Walmart has fancy pretties...
    Fairyies (from Marshalls, Ross etc...)
    Glass birds (from Walmart, Target, Marshalls, Ross etc..)
    Crystal drops from a store in the back of a decorating Mag.
    Glass icicles from Dillards, Macys, home garden stores
    Red silk poinsettas (Walmart)

that was it, but I just use an abundance, because I am the "overkill" queen LOLOLO

• User
    16 years ago

Wow - all beautiful and opulent!

Thanks for sharing Judith

Usually I put larger items on the inside and work out to the tips, the large ornaments, dolls, help fill the void. It's also a perfect place to have some "danglers" that catch and bounce the light in there too.
    I would recommend having an assortment of "picks" to fill any dead spots - you can never have too many picks on hand in my opinion. LOL

Jim

• User
    16 years ago

I just wanted to add this to the thread. I like how they describe it - A Charm Bracelet made out of garland.

Years back a friend gave me a couple of pkgs of braided strands of pearl and silver/gold bead garland - she didn't know how to use it. She was right, she didn't have enough of it to make any impact - it could have been used in a bowl as a base/filler.

I took it and wound it around wire circles to make small wreaths and then I added a small silk flower at the top. They turned out to be so elegant and I gave my friend a few, she was impressed!
    Somethimes you have to think outside the box.

Jim

Here's how to make a Charm Bracelet garland:

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Just an observation, did you notice on the 2nd tree the branches and deos are actually sitting on the floor? No tree skirt, and nowhere for Santa to leave the presents.
    I guess I am very traditional, I like to see some of the tree and the gifts underneath.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Oh, I just love this time of year with all the gorgeous eye candy to see when I sign on here! Love it!

Judith, I have never thought about or seen anyone decorate one of those outside wire trees like that! I've only seen them lighted and plain sitting in the yard! That is actually beautiful with all those ornaments on it. Who would have thought? LOL I love that you are sharing your tips about mixing the plain ornaments with the fancy ones--let's face it, some of the fancy ones can be pretty pricey! Your red and gold tree last year was so gorgeous that I actually wanted the closeup for my screensaver! ;o)

Jim, after Cattknap's post about twisting two green garlands together to make one really nice full one, I was already thinking that it is better when things are more lush and "thicker". Now you do the same thing with beads and that worked out just lovely. Lots of great inspriation ideas on this forum! Maybe even an "oldie" like me can learn some new tricks! LOL

Luvs

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Like Kathleen, I like a certain amount of space at the bottom of my tree-- but I admit, mine is for a really practical purpose; the inevitable tree-lean which occurs about a week into having the tree. :-)

-Jenn

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Well, I purposely bought a tree that goes to the floor 2 years ago because I like that look and a tree skirt is just another place for my cats to spread their fun (fur) so having a tree that spreads to the floor for me is better. Cats have knocked mine over by playing around a tree with a skirt.

I have a table on which to place gifts and plenty of chairs and in front of the fireplace where we have a small tree on a table. Santa does come down the chimney so it makes sense that he might be in a hurry and place the gifts around the fireplace. I stack big boxes some of which are dummies wrapped and some that are big gifts for the grandkids, some seasons, so one can make a table of boxes and gifts just looked all piled up like that. If you have stairs, place gifts at the bottom of the stairs and at the landing where you put a small tree. Just make the whole house Christmasy.

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

I'm just totally blown away by the pictures and the ideas in the posts following them. WOW.
    Judith, I need to add that huge tree covered in ornaments to the inspiration album. It's incredible.

Jim, as usual, you find the neatest stuff to show us. I'm suddenly getting anxious to pack away my Fall decor and haul out the Xmas boxes. And I'm not the ONLY one apparently....my Brat Cat must be tired of them as he's suddenly been doing some rearranging and 'removing' himself. Xmas will be interesting again.

hugs, Karen

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jim, great "tree charm braclet", I love that idea.

Luvs, I was pretty surprised too when I read that it was one of those outside "stick trees", it looks like a person has to use alot of ornies for it to look good, but it did some out nice. Yes, using plain balls is always a "staple" of my tree, they help to "fill it up" and still provide the color and "brightness" that the tree needs without having to buy as many "fancier/expensive" ornies.
    I have not always had a tree and collection of ornies like most people....my "ex" was not too cooperative with that type of thing, so once I was out "on my own", I had to start with only the very plain ornies from discount stores, and over the years I have built up my ornie collection. For my DD and I it is now "our" family tradition for each of us to buy each other a few Christmas ornaments as presents on our birthdays and as a Christmas Eve present. That is how I started her "hope chest" of Christmas ornies years ago, each of her birthdays and Christmas she received a few very nice ornies for her "future" tree, it is a tradition I enjoy.

Another interesting tip in a magazine article that I read many years ago is if you want your tree to really be reflective and bright from the "inside" is to do ONLY the plain inexpensive silver balls on the inside...being silver and "smooth" they act as bright "mirrors" reflecting the tree lights more than any other color that one could add...make sense to me. LOL If anyone trys it let us all know.

• tamgypsy
    16 years ago

Judith...thank you for the detailed explanation and everyone else for the great ideas. I will try to make my tree look better this year and I will take pictures and ask for all of your feedback maybe over time I'll get it right...:)

• labmomma
    16 years ago

Judith - Love the pics. Thanks for posting. I think my favorite is the one with all of the bright ornaments. I cannot imagine what the cost to do that tree would be. So many and yet no "filler" solid balls.

As for decorating steps, I do the same. I fight with the lights but when they are done, first thing on are the balls. I have to say that starting with lots of red balls makes a nice "filler" for my tree. I have alot of Santa and red and/or white ornaments but they would be very lonely looking without the red background balls.

I also like the ornament gifting, both giving and receiving. LOL My DH absolutely hates Christmas, but he knows it's my favorite, so he just shakes his head and lets me have at it:)). One year I had a ladies luncheon to attend the day after Thanksgiving. DH & DD volunteered to put the lights on the tree. I swear they took the strands of lights, spun the tree and voila, lights on. I got home from the luncheon and had to do the whole thing over. A bit of a control freak, yes, but the lights have to be right!

It's so much fun seeing everyone's methods and the inspiration photos. I am literally sitting on my hands waiting to get to all of my beloved Christmas decorations. Thanksgiving will be at our house this year, or I would be starting to look through the boxes to see what I found on sale after last Christmas.

Jim, thanks for the bead charm pics. I haven't used beads for the past couple of years, but it is a safe bet I will revive them with this idea. Just lovely.

• jaybird
    16 years ago

oh WOW....you all have the BEST ideas!!! I will have 7 girls 5 and under in my house this Christmas....maybe we will just have lights and ribbon bows and I will live vicariously through all of you!!!
    Thanks for brightening my afternoon!

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jaybird, you are going to have your hands full, but it will be so exciting to have little ones, they are still so full of wonder and appreciation!

labmomma, you are right, those were very expensive ornamnets, but I think you could get a pretty look with lots of the more inexpensive ones too these days, Target, Kmart and Walmart are improving their ornies every year...and I often wait for the after Christmas sales so I can afford to buy lots of ornies for cheap LOL And yes, lights are a "serious issue", I was very picky too (got that from my Mom LOL) Last year I bought a pre-lit tree...Oh such a life saver, for the first time I did not come into work looking like I had been scratched to death from putting on lights LOL
    Tam, I am sure your tree will be beautiful, I am lookig forward to seeing your vignettes too this year.

Patrica, you tree sounds wonderful, pls post us some photos of your tree and home this year, we are a bunch of tree-aholics and dish-a-holics here. LOL

• pugga
    16 years ago

I have one of those "stick" trees for my Christmas tree and, for some reason, it never occurred to me that it was an outside decoration - LOL. I posted in the "Christmas Pink" thread that I use pink feather boas as garland, which really helps fill in the tree. As promised on that thread, I'll post a picture of my tree once it's up this year.

I'm also adding a second tree in my (newly remodeled) kitchen this year. So far, I've just gotten a 4' silver tree which I'll put on a plant stand in front of the kitchen window. Now I'm trying to come up with fun ideas for ornaments. I'm not a traditional Christmas kind of girl (hence my pink dancing poodle tree in the living room). I've been thinking maybe teal and apple green or purple and apple green for the kitchen tree.

Love these inspiration threads!

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pugga, I had always seen the twig/stick trees advertised as outside trees, so I was pleased to see other people (including you) thinking "outside the box". I think they look pretty unique and cool, I am getting ready to post some more inspiration photos and there is another twig tree with feather boas in it. I am looking forward to seeing yours, the colors sound wonderful.

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, here are more inspiration photos, enjoy (oh yes, I can't keep these on my Photobucket a long time, so if you like them, make sure you save them to your computer)

Christmas village in bay window.
    {{gwi:1447826}}

More Twig tree
    {{gwi:1447827}}

Closeup of twig tree with feather boas.
    {{gwi:1447828}}

Swag over bathroom mirror

• kellyleeann
    16 years ago

Judith - You have such an amazing talent for decorating...your pictures are beautiful!!!! What eye candy. Your posts always bring a smile to my face and I am always picking my jaw off the ground when your post. I wish I was a child at your house, how fun it would be to have such wonderful memories each year. I wish I had an eye for what looks good with what. I am starting my collection for my cake plates, I called Kohls here and they have them so I am off there after work....Im so excited about the plates.

Did you make the gorgous bows?? Could you tell me how you have the arrangment above your china cabinet? Is that garland decorated and how does it stay up there.

I also love your blown glass ornaments with the base that sits on your mantle. Are they tree toppers sitting on something? I have so may questions.....
    Thanks

• labmomma
    16 years ago

Judith, such beautiful pics! One year I did thick garlands over the windows in my foyer and living room (apparently I had more ambition when I was younger LOL). It was a nice way to use all of the extra ornaments that didn't make the tree. If I could have lighted the garland, I would have done that as well. This was back when I did a Mardi Gras them tree. Glad you are as crazy about the lights as me. I too inherited that from my Mom. I am so blessed to have a mom who was a crazy woman about her decorating. She does a great job still despite her age.

I just love the pictures you posted, thank you so much. Its so much fun to see all of the pretty decorating. Please keep posting!!!

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ah,,,,Kelly and labmomma!!!!,

these photos IN THIS POST are NOT my work, as I mentioned at the top of the original Post, these insp pics are from a favorite site of mine...eekkkk!! I don't want anyone to think that these pics on this post are mine! They are beautiful work but NOT my work. Ah, OK, I hope everyone one reads this or I will feel bad!

I do post pics of mine on this site/forum, and I do say at that Posting they are mine, but if I have confused anyone about this Posting then I am sorry!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Judith, not to worry. They probably just hopped on quickly and hadn't taken time to read all the prior posts. I'm sure they will see your disclaimer! ;o)

(But we know you COULD do all these wonderful things given the time, money and space.)

Luvs

• peppygirl
    16 years ago

Judith,
    Thanks for the info on decorating the tree. I had never thought of layering ornaments...I'll buy a bunch of the plain silver and gold balls and place them on the inside and use my cherished ornaments where they really show. We are having our first Christmas in our new home and with a new artificial tree (grandchildren have allergies and asthma so no more real trees) so I can decorate to my heart's content. After 42 years of marriage we built the home we always wanted. Can't wait for Christmas! Love all the trees you posted and your great ideas. I always enjoy your postings on the Decorating site..you truly inspire others. Peppygirl

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Judith, those photos are just breathtaking, thanks for finding and posting them. And we all KNOW you could do any of these with your fantastic decorating ability, so don't panic with "disclaimers". LOL. I am going to add these to the Inspiration Album so they don't get lost when you delete them.

gosh, I'm getting so inspired but then again, very intimidated... as I've never decorated like any of this before!!! I just know I'm not even going to come close to what I want to do now.

I wish I could put my village in my bay window, but that is Off Limits....to me, LOL. That's where the cats love to lay and look out at the birds in the backyard.

hugs, Karen

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

Beautiful * * * * *Fantastic * * * * *Wonderful * * * *!!!!!
    Love every one of them!!!
    But you must NOT have my cat... and my 3 doggies... and
    my 19 month old grandbaby !!!

AHHHHH ....... may be next year... for me.. but a gal can always dream...
    Like purplemoon says..... we must obey our pets... and we sure don't wanta tick them off !!!
    HO HO HO !!!!
    * * * *HAPPY * * * * * * ** * * * Holidays *****!!!!!!
    ALL YOU Big Time Decorators... I Love looking at your talents in the Pictures and hearing the excitement in your postings of the fun... you have doing it...At least I can say I KNOW YA'LL the Christmas Beautiful Decorators !!!!
    My It's Great !!!! It's Fantastic !!! It's Wonderful !!!
    God Bless!
    susiesunshine/ GrammieJean

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Luvs, thanks, LOL, I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea!

Peppygirl, thank you, A new home, how exciting, this will be a wonderful Christmas for you all, I use an artifical tree too, I decorate so early a real one would not last!

purplemoon, thank you too, I get alot of my inspiration from looking at pictures and postings here too, thank goodness for the internet LOL I am sure you will do wonderful, Christmas tree decorating (at least for me) is something that evolves, which is part of the fun, I love being on the hunt each year for new treasures, whether simple or fancy. Can't blame you for wanting to maintain the kittys in the style of which they are accustomed, I make alot of concessions for my little dog, Toby, without our "little friends" life would not be the same LOL.

susiesunshine, these were just inspirations pics from a website, they are not my designs. I can understand though it would be challenging with cats, dogs and inquisitive grandchildren LOL But the nice thing is, you can always take a "piece" of the inspiration and add it to your home. Anything is possible!

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

SusanJean, sounds like you might need to hang one of those upside down Xmas trees. They are perfect for dogs, cats, and toddlers. LOL. Tho I've never tried one, probably should have. I haven't actually put a big tree in many years. I have a 'wall' tree that I love, got at JoAnn's one year after Xmas sale. Its flat back so you can hang it on a wall. And my other trees are 4 to 5' and go on tables. Once the kids were grown and gone, seemed no one around to enjoy my Xmas decorating efforts except cats. So for a few years I just was out of the mood to mess with it.
    Empty Nest syndrome? LOL. Anyway, I got back in the mood and started doing a smaller table tree. But then I kept buying ornaments like some possessed woman, gosh I love that stuff. LOL And didn't know what to do with them since I hadn't discovered this forum. I just had some table trees and thought ornaments had to go on trees only.
    Ha!!! Now I find they can be used a lot of other ways.
    Somebody told me I had too many ornaments a few years ago.
    I told them no way, I just didn't have enough trees!!! LOL
    When my Brat Cat kept stealing ornaments off one tree last year, and I realized it was a losing battle with him, I discovered if I let him "keep" one then he'd leave the rest alone. Hope it works that way this year. LOL. I bet after being HERE, you find lots of ways to decorate around your baby GD and the furkids! Oh, I saw a great tip some years ago when a couple of my grandkids were in toddler stages. Give them their own tree. So my DD and my DDIL tried that. They bought little 3 ft trees and cheap ornaments the kids helped pick out. Then the little ones each had their very own tree to decorate (or undecorate and redecorate). They never bothered ornaments on the big family trees after that. They loved having their very own tree and decor. My one grandson wanted all Spiderman on his one time and he was a happy little boy that his mom didn't care. I think it's such fun to see their little trees too. Wish I'd known this when my own kids were little.

hugs, Karen

• donnawb
    16 years ago

Wow, thank you for sharing the pictures. They are fabulous. Every time I see one of the wire trees I will look at it in a new way. Hummm, I don't have a tree on the lanai yet. Ornaments, ornaments you can never have enough. Love buying them.

• just_imagine
    16 years ago

judithva, were you the person who posted a picture of an adorable candy land themed Christmas tree last year, or am I thinking of someone else?

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I posted a candy land tree last year this is it:

Also, Cattknap, did a beautiful Candlyland tree, which is where I got my inspiration from. :) Hopefully she will see this and post her wonderful pics here for you to see. (I think she recently posted the pic her under Holidays, so try doing a search on her name)

• cattknap
    16 years ago

This is a wonderful post Judith - those ornament crusted trees and garlands are something else! I love your candy jars that you have with your candy tree.

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cattknap, thanks, to your inspiration on the candytree... I was hoping (see note above) that maybe you could post your pictures for the lady that posted above?

• just_imagine
    16 years ago

Thanks, judithva, yes, that's the tree I was remembering - it's so magical! Thanks for re-posting your photo. Do you put this tree up each year in your kitchen?

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

just_imagine, I am glad you like it, the theme is such fun! Last year was the first year that I had put it up. Many of us on GW and other websites had first seen Cattknap's Candyland tree posted and we all went nuts giving it a try. Definatley do a search on Cattknap's name and hopefully the pics will show up!

• hurrijane
    16 years ago

judithva,
    i am looking to post to another thread - thanksgiving II but it won't let me. I have a question about your silver chargers in that tablesetting. Can you share with me where you got these?

Thanks

• carmie2
    16 years ago

judithva,
    I Love your tree and apothecary Jars!!..Did you make the fruit pinwheel ornaments?

• judithva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hurrijane, I had purchased those silver chargers a long time ago at a store that concentrated on silver objects, silverware etc. It has since gone out of business. You can find silver (sterling and silverplated) by googling on the internet, but it is quite expensive, and of course you would really want to TRUST the internet store you are getting them from.

carmie2, thank you, no I did not make them, I bought them last year from Walmart.

Sponsored
More Discussions