Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need help

Posted by barb1954 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 8:49

I have a 4 1/2 Christmas tree which I set in my bay window on an unused portable sewing machine table with a very pretty table cover. My problem is that I need help on how to cover the tree stand. For years I have covered a gift wrapped box which slid over the tree stand. My daughter thinks this is too old fashioned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need help

Hi Barb, one of the things I've seen that really looked nice is putting the tree in a pretty urn. I would imagine that the tree would be taken out of the stand and set in the urn with something like plaster of paris for a permanent fix.

If that's not an option then I wonder if you could just use a coordinating tree skirt around the base of it and draping down over your table cover?

Actually, your gift box idea sounds fine to me too. Leave it to our kids to point out how "old fashioned" we are! LOL

Luvs

o

HI Barb,
I put trees in all manner of items. I have them growing out of toy castles, tea kettles, fishing creel baskets, drums, interesting lamp bases from thrift stores, golf bags, urns, and flower pots.
Since it is on a sewing machine, how about a sewing basket?
I have also seen them in old fashioned train cases (the kind a lady carried her toiletries in when traveling), an old fashioned kettle, a crock, or anything else that could serve as a container.
Let your imagination run wild. You can insert a tree trunk into a piece of PVC fastened inside of your container, or as Luvs said use plaster or if it one of those 3 legged plastic holders, the legs can be altered to fit into the container.
If it needs to be more sturdy, you can fasten your container to a piece of wood covered with fabric. I did this for the fishing creel basket. Covered a flat piece of wood with red/black buffalo check fabric and then made bows out of the fabric and put them on the tree. Then I fastened the creel basket to the wood, placed the tree trunk through the hole in the basket lid, and packed the inside of the basket around the tree trunk with newspaper, and I mean packed! Then closed the lid the rest of the way and fastened it, and it has lasted for years. It is a
3 1/2 ft. tree and it is decorated with bobbers, lures, and other items associated with fishing.
I don't have a picture as I made it for my brother several years ago before I had a digital camera, so sorry I can't share a photo as he doesn't live close to me.
I do have one of the one I made for my DGD in a kids toy castle that I painted silver and mounted on a board covered with white fur fabric.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

For this one, I drilled a hole in the top of the castle and fastened a piece of PVC inside to hold the trunk.
Sorry this came out so large.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

TTFN,
Candy

o

Candy, I knew you'd be full of great ideas. I like the sewing basket idea since its on a sewing table.
And your fancy pink tree in the castle is just darling. I bet Frou is really going to like it too.

hugs, Karen

o

OMG, Candy, you floor me sometimes with all of your out-of-the-box, creative ideas! I use an urn for my 4ft Spanish Colonial tree in our family room. I painted and antiqued it to work with that tree's theme. BUT . . . your ideas are beyond anything I'd considered.
You sure came to the right place for ideas, Barb!
Lynn

o

You are right Lynn. I did come to the right place for ideas. Candy, your tree is just beautiful. I don't know how you come up with all of your great ideas. I guess you know I'll be working with your suggestions and also Luvs.

o

Barb, I like the idea of using a sewing basket also. Very clever. Candy your pink feather tree is fantastic.
NanaK

o

bump

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here