Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phonegirl_gw

Subway Art Ornaments

phonegirl
10 years ago

Good Morning, I started making some Christmas gifts. I haven't decided for sure how to hang them.
Was thinking maybe a long ribbon with a bow. What does one do when things don't turn out as hoped?
Come here for HELP!!! Be honest and let me know what your ideas would be. Even if it's toss them now.

They kinda look like lg Easter (Christmas) eggs right now to me.LOL So am thinking I will do others
for Easter later on. I do have some Egg Christmas ornaments that would work with mine. For now I
need help on the hanging part. Perhaps some garland to look like an ornament top?

TIA! I will b back tonight to check for all your great ideas.

Thanks, Punk

Comments (17)

• christmascandy
    10 years ago

Punk, I had a couple of ideas.

Buy 6" mesh or glitter ribbon, cut a long piece with a swallowtail. Put the ornie on the piece with most of the excess hanging past the bottom, amd make a poufy bow at the top of the piece. You will have a ribbon in the shape of a "T" with the ornie toward the top.

Buy coordinating mats and put the ornie on the mat and frame it. I buy thrift store frames and paint them. You could even paint the frames to match the ornie décor!

Frame them, only make the mats out of old Christmas cards that have the same colors as the ornies.

Buy eye screws made for pictures, screw into the top and add a small piece of ribbon, or small bow, or raffia. That would give the effect of an ornament top.

Cut a piece of felt, make a fold at the top, run a small curtain rod through it, glue on the ornie to make them like a banner. You could even buy the table runners at the Doll. Tr., cut in half and get 2 banners for the price of one!!

The simplest would be to cut a piece of ribbon, fold like all the remember ribbons you see on cars, and staple to the back..

Buy a thrift store frame, remove the back, but keep the glass, and glue the ornie to the glass so it "floats" in the frame.

I love all the words on them, but what about painting the mats with the words going vertical or sideways to contrast with the horizontal words on the ornies? Then paint the snowflakes or stars on the frames.

Put them on small easels instead of hanging.

I can't tell the size from your photos, but these ideas should work regardless of the size, except the easel might need to be larger, LOL

Buy the cutwork unfinished oval frames at Michael's (use a coupon of course!! LOL) and frame them after painting the frame.

Cut a long piece of wide ribbon, fold at the top and use a D ring as the hanger, then glue or staple the ornie on the ribbon. You could even cut it long enough to glue a star above and below the ornie, or snowflake above and below depending on the design on the ornie.

Whatever you decide, please show us,
    Candy

• jeannespines
    10 years ago

Ok, punk, my idea may be 'too simple' ...but the beauty of these is the ornament itself ... all the different fonts & colors & a few outlined graphic stars & such...they are BEAUTIFUL!

When you asked what do you do, I was ready to say, 'punt!' But, these are gorgeous!

If they were mine, I would drill the tiniest of holes for that red/silver or gold small elastic on spools that you can buy @Hobby Lobby...we used them on our scrollsaw wood ornaments last yr...that way, the beauty is the ornament, itself, not the added frou frou.

Ok, JMHO. ;-) Jeanne S. (or are these NOT ornaments!)

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

I'm NO help as usual Just wanted to say these are wonderful. I really love the one in actual Christmas colors with the red stars! WOW.

What terrific ornaments or decorations or whatever you decide to do with them. I love both Candy and Jeanne's ideas even tho they are total opposites.

hugs, Karen

• party_music50
    10 years ago

Punk, they're great and I agree with everyone. lol!

I'm also not clear on their size or what they're made of, but assume they must be at least 4" or 5" tall and are made of something more substantial than paper cardstock? Are they meant to be hung on a tree or are they meant for wall display?

If they're for hanging on a tree, maybe you can hot-glue some lace around the outside edge and then add a hanging ribbon at the top? Preferably the lace would be reminiscent of snowflakes. :)

It's a real nit-pick, but I'd want it written as "I Believe" rather than "We Believe" (thinking of Natalie Wood in Miracle on 34th Street :)

Jeanne, thanks for letting me know where I can buy that gold elastic!!! I had no idea they actually sold that stuff anywhere. lol!

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Candy, OMG, I think I donated every extra picture I had.
    Will have to see if there is anything at the thrift store here.
    I hate it when I donate and have to go buy it back. Been
    there done before.LOL However this is something I hadn't
    thought to try, so thanks. I tried several things with ribbon
    and even an evergreen sway w/pinecones last night and
    didn't care for it.

Jeanne, I have that type of cord you talking about and that
    would make it pretty simple to finish.Thanks Wish I had a
    colored printer and that would make these more fun to play
    with. Will probably put that on my WISH list.

Karen, thanks for your imput that you like them. They were
    pretty simple to make so far. Didn't want to toss them just yet.

PM, they are 9.5 X 12.5 cut from wood so will have to be a
    wall decor or stuffed into the tree. Agree, I should ofput 'I Believe'
    instead of 'We Believe'. Maybe I will do this on the purple one.
    Must be the reason I didn't do more on it!Thanks

Thanks ladies for all they great suggestions. Have to run off
    to work so will chat later. Punk

• plainjane425
    10 years ago

Punk...I love these!!
    You are amazing to have the time to make them...

I have a simple suggestion on hanging...
    I made small plaque decorations with my class and the
    simplest way to hang them was to hot glue a paper clip
    (they have them in different colors too)...just glue the
    clip on the back so that it's just high enough to tie a bow with satin ribbon and add a tree hook.
    Hope this wasn't too abstract...but it was always the simplest way to resolve this..
    jane

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

When I saw the pink and blue ones, I almost teased you about not having one in purple!! LOL. You know I'd think that one is the prettiest.

I do have a idea off what Candy said, one I'd seen on Pinterest. Paint a picture frame whatever color you wanted for each, and hang the ornament directly in the middle of it. Maybe add a small sprig of greenery or something on one upper corner. I think that is what I'd do anyway, it would definitely showcase the ornament.
    Something like this, only yours IN the frame.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: ornament in frame

• christmascandy
    10 years ago

Karen, Love that red frame!! I wonder how it would look to cross ribbon in the frame to make it look like a window and then put the ornie on the middle of the cross??

I also like the HoHoHo fireplace in the pictures you pinned!

TFS,
    Candy

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jane, that's a neat way to make a hanger! Thanks. How are
    you feeling and is everyone taking good care of you? Think
    about you alot.

Karen, I've seen that frame before and loved it! Thanks for
    sharing it so I won't have to go lookin'.

Candy, neat window idea with the frame and ribbon.

We are heading to the city tomorrow to pick up a couple things
    for DH. I could use some fixins for Thanksgiving dinner too.
    The sad part is we have to be back by noon so DH can watch
    the football game so no chance of shopping for frames or ?

I so appreciate all the help from everyone. If you come up with more ideas please post them. I do need to make rolls, pie dough
    and do some cleaning this weekend so not sure how much time
    I'll have to play with these ornies but will keep checking back.

Thanks Again, Punk

• nana2010_gw
    10 years ago

Punk, I love your ornaments. You've gotten so many good ideas.
    I can't wait to see \how you finish them.
    Nana

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Knowing these will be stored all year, DH and I came up with this from all your wonderful ideas.
    I see I haven't added silver rub to the edge of the frame which I planned to do. Also haven't glued
    them so can still teak if need b. Let me know what you think.

TIA, Punk

• christmascandy
    10 years ago

I like those a lot!!

Especially if you are going to do some silver rub on the frame. The snowflakes in the corners are the perfect finishing touch!

It really sets off your beautiful ornies.

TFS,
    Candy

• plainjane425
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Great solution and I love the snowflakes
    in the corners too...
    Would you consider painting any of the frames in
    red or pick up a color from the ornament? JMO
    jane

• Purplemoon
    10 years ago

I LOVE what you did. Its perfect, or will be once you add the silver rub. Great job, Punk!!

hugs, Karen

• nana2010_gw
    10 years ago

Punk, I agree with everyone they look fantastic.
    Nana

• jeannespines
    10 years ago

Lookin' great, punk! Sweet! Jeanne s.

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again ladies! I got the rub done and will glue them, pack them in their boxes and wrap them up. Yeah, another project out of the way. I need to find a couple more frames for the others.

Went to DF's for dinner tonight so didn't get anything done here. Will get up early in the morning and make pie crust and freeze. I have a nail appointment early Wed. morning so best concentrate on our Thanksgiving dinner every free minute I have. Hope all of you have a Wonderful Turkey Day.

Punk

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions