Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas Village display ideas

Posted by decor64 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 07 at 7:13

I have two villages both made by Dept. 56 - the Dicken's Village and North Pole Village. I have about 15 houses for the first and perhaps 5 for the NP. I really am at a loss about how to display them. In the past I just put them out on a banquet table which I've covered with a table cloth and a sheet of 'snow.' Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas Village display ideas

I have seen some very pretty villages placed in small to large christmas wreaths,(or even a large wicker basket) you could just do a single "house or church inside one (wreath lays flat on table and you just make your scenery inside the "hole" of the wreath). If you want it larger, just get a larger wreath and cluster in 3 houses/churches and the accompanying scenery. It looks lovely as a centerpiece on a dining table, coffee table, end table etc.

You can disply 1 under a large bell jar, that is really pretty, especially if you have limited space.

I have a collection of good sized cream lighted churches, I have placed them under the tree to give it a different accessorized look.

If you have a bakers rack, clear off the "normal" stuff on it and make a interesting setup, same thing on a few shelves of a bookcase, I am very limited in my home with "flat spaces" so sometimes I have to take away my normal decor inorder to fit in my goodies. You can even do this with a china hutch or secretary. If you have lots of kitchen counter room you can do a display there. If you have cabinets that are "open" at the top, remove the other displays and do your houses lit up there, that really looks pretty in a kitchen and doesn't take up valuable work area.
You can do the same thing on top of your TV unit/hutch, it is fun to see the softly lite homes in unusual places. LOL
Well that is all my brain can think of right now, I am sure more of the ladies will pipe in with other ideas.

Here is an interesting example from a photo I posted last year from a Gardening Store I frequent for ideas (this is not mine, this is an inspiration picture.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

I like that! More dimensional that just spread out over a table. I don't have a collection of those. Stopped myself a few years ago....someone gave me a dept 56 church, and I thought, I would add to it. But, I decided I was too old to start another collection!!

o

I did this a few yrs ago on top of my china cabinet.

Jim

o

Wow, Judith had some great suggestions for you. I think the little houses are so darling too, but I have refrained more because of lack of space than anything else. This subject came up over on the Garden Junk forum too, so I am posting a quick link for you to see the pics and ideas posted there.

Kathleen, stop with the "old" comments--I might resemble them! LOL

Luvs

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas villages

o

LOL, Luvs, you know what I mean. Once the kids are grown and out of the house...I don't need to start collecting..need to purge!! Since I can't seem to do that, I don't want to start investing in another collection. So I will get my enjoyment from looking at others! And those pretty houses can add up.
Wow, Jim! That looks like some endeavor!

o

JIM, so glad you came out to play. Missed you and your wonderful photos! Your village display is absolutely stunning...WOW. Its got to go in the Inspiration Album!!!
And such an interesting one Judith posted a photo of, I've never seen "whatever that is" the top row is on. I am racking my little brain about what to do with mine this year. I reluctantly gave about half mine to my DD and DDIL last year, simply because of my having so much. Another ADDICTING thing to collect. Last year I cleared my long kitchen counter and put mine on there...worked great as the cats actually never got up to bother it. WOOOOOO HOOOOOO.
However, now my Xmas cookie jar collection has outgrown the top of the fridge and I need the counter for it. I've bought 5 darn cookie jars recently. ARRRGGGHHH. If you check the link to the GJ post on this subject, you'll see that village photo I posted...Inspiration pix...of a fabulous fireplace set up. Tempting, oh so tempting. But then I stop and think about Brat Cat and wonder. Same with formal diningroom table in front room. Would he, or wouldn't he? LOL. My DD has a pretty big collection but she breaks her's up into vignettes on various tables and cabinets and such thru out her familyroom and livingroom and it looks nice I think.
My head is spinning and I've yet to haul anything out as my back told me NO WAY this weekend. Dang.
So keep posting more ideas and inspiration and watch Karen's head spin like a TOP. LOL

hugs, K

o

Jim, beautiful design on the top of your hutch, I know that it looked even prettier in "real life"!

Luvs, that was a geat link, lots of good examples there too.

Karen, that was a "boat type bowl" wicker basket. They were sold last year at Burlington Coat Factory in different sizes, the Garden Center designer did this arrangement in the special "village room"

o

Jim, your hutch display was really impressive. I loved the pic of the lady especially. Luvs

o

Wow, thanks everyone!!

JudithVA - that is so cute - thanks for posting. I'd need to make a LARGE version.

Jim - love it! How did you make it/set it up?

o

WOWZA Jim, that is gorgeous!!Thank you Decor64 for starting this thread!
DH made me a 3' x 3' chunk of plywood mounted on a frame that fits the top of our antique trunk in the DR (I put a piece of an old blanket between the trunk and the frame when I put it out). He painted it white and put a little white picket fence around the edges. I get it in place, and then scatter a string or two of white lights on white cords over the surface and then top them with drifts of the modern nonflammable angel hair. I use white painted 2x4 blocks for risers under the angel hair. Then I set my village up..it's not a collectable village...just one that I have accumulated odd pieces to at garage sales, etc. I use an old round mirror nestled into the angel hair for a pond, and then set my little angel orchestra up on the glass. My Gkidlets are enthralled, and there really isn't anything valuable to be broken if disaster strikes! To be perfectly honest, DH and I are guilty of turning off all the lights and just enjoying the serenity of the quiet village!!

o

Thanks for all the props!

It was very pretty non-flash - the garland had twinkle lights and the houses were lite - it looked like the top of a hill.

decor64 - It was simply just creating the background of trees and then all the houses were raised to various levels for perspective onto whatever I had available i.e. boxes, books, pans, etc. Then it was just filling the area w/batting snow. It was actually easier because I didn't have to use people or all the other accessories.

Here's a picture of the first village I did - it wasn't unimpressive for lack of try trying. I got the cardboard houses a day or two before Xmas for a few dollars each from a store going out of business and they were clearing inventory. So I just bought the snow and a few people but I had to have it up for Christmas.

So here it is - It looks like it should be condemned. LOL

Jim

o

LOL, Jim I don't think that looks like it should be "condemned". You are too funny! Its very quaint and simple. So what are you doing this year? I can hardly wait to see photos from you, your home is so gorgeous.

hugs, Karen

o

Hi Karen - not sure what I'm doing - I have the little one to contend with and the bigger one is just as nosey too. I wonder if I could keep them sedated for Dec. LOL...

A friend bought me a cardboard village set from Room Service Home, I'm planning to put that on the cabinet in the Lr underneath my faux feather tree loaded with ornaments in gold, silver and cream. Not sure what'll do to the mirror behind it.

Everything else is based on if I don't get a sciatic attack, or my arthritis doesn't act up or getting a new malady!

I want to do something different w/the apothecary jars tho.

Jim

o

Ds is going to start putting up some of his Dept 56's on Ebay. I'll let you all know when he does.

o

Jim, I will send many good thoughts on NO sciatica. That kind of pain should be outlawed during the Holidays!!! Arthritis is bad enough, so no new malady allowed either.
LOL. I want a new body for Xmas! Sounds like you might too.

You can't sedate the cats for Dec, LOL. What fun would that be? Just consider them "decorating challenges".

Minnie, don't you go spending my money on eBay. LOL. I'm in enough trouble there now.

hugs, Karen

o

I didn't think it looked like it should be condemned either, looked good to me.

Did any of you see the great article in Country Sampler magazine about the cardboard houses? I know several of you have them.

Jim, you'd never told us before that you had health issues. Hope none of them bug you during the holidays. ;o) And no sedating the cats--they are more fun than decorations anyway.

Luvs

o

My village isn't all just Dept 56 - I tend to buy what ever I see that I like all year round - I tend to have several all over the house in different vingnettes - here are a couple from last year - this year will be completely different

Top of my entertainment center

Under the Christmas tree

o

I like the 'larger' trees in background of first village, I never thought about adding that kind before.
That is also very cool to have several rows of your village under the Xmas tree. That's an idea I definitely can't borrow tho, my Brat Cat would absolutely LOVE this. The other cats would probably want to lay in midst of it, he'd be like one of those giant monsters in an old movie.
"The Cat Who Ate the Town" or something. LOL

hugs, Karen

o

lol Karen - we have 4 cats and they all have 'visited' the villages at one time or another - we take pictures and then politely tell them to go home

Here are two different ones visiting the same village - the fluffy one decided to stay awhile :D

our 'old man' decided to just pass through

Lynne

o

Fantastic photos, Lynne. Isn't it wonderful how softly a cat walks!
could I put the photo of tree w village tiers in the Inspiration Album?

hugs, Karen

o

Karen - It would be an honor - you sure can. I just found this forum today and have been really inspired by all I have seen so far. Now I am off to check out your 'inspiration album'. Yesterday I OD'd on HGTV and all the Christmas decorating shows all day - lol - I can never get enough Christmas ideas......

Lynne

o

Ohhh Lynne, you are going to be real busy reading back thru all our posts and archives. LOL. Hope you stick around, and share many more photos with us. This is just best group to hang out with you'll ever find.
Will add your photo, and think for fun I'll add the one of your cat napping in the village. That is just too cute.

hugs, Karen

o

Ooooh, one of my favorite topics! I'm a village collector too, CIC and Dickens.

I love all your photos. I'll be setting my village up next week.

I have to admit, I don't use snow. I'm not a big fan of it, but one year I got brave and used some pearlized confetti I found at a party store. It was messy though, so I canned that idea for future displays. But it did look nice and was very pretty in the soft lights.

I set my villages up on a tiled bar surface and on top of the 55" TV and just leave the surface bare. I use a couple of small clear votives with tealights to give a little more soft surface light to the villages at night.

I have a village cat too!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your ideas.

o

LOL, another "Village Cat". I love it. But then I haven't gotten my village set up yet, so I may not love it once MY darling Brat Cat is on the scene. Literally ON the scene.
I've started my decorating this weekend, and he's pretty happy so far. LOL, he probably knows the tree ornaments will be coming out soon. His personal favorite Xmas decor.

hugs, Karen

o

I have no "Village Cat" but well a "Village and everything else Dog" ;-)
My dog is a little bit nervous and the village will be at risk in the living room (the risk is that the village could look like a French village after the second world war as soon as my dog sees it).
I will, therefore, put the Christmas village on the tablet of the front window of my living room, after having placed artificial snow, some artificial snow on the window, and put some fir branches all around.
The neighbors will have a nice view of my window and my Christmas village will not meet my dog:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas Time

o

Hi, newbie from SW Fl....
what great villages here....thought I would share my village
http://family.webshots.com/album/523725386XLEpGK

o

Properity, I was expecting to see your village when I clicked on the link. Is Christmas time your business? Looks like a combination of things for sale and activities and helpful hints.

Swtncgram, what an amazing village display! And your pics were wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Luvs

o

Oh, I love all your village pics, but the cats are stealing the show, imo. lol! I want to give all your fur babies a hug!

I have a dollhouse that I decorate and one I'm trying to turn into a gingerbread type house. I am having trouble finding fake candy. Anyone know where I might find some? I don't mind cutting it apart if its on a strand or something similar.

Diana

o

Diana, Target had lots of candy type ornaments, and Purplemoon posted a site on here with lots of candyland items. Hope you will post pics for us when you complete it. Luvs

o

Thank you Luvs, I really enjoy working on it...
Karen

o

swtncgram, that village set-up is incredible. I loved touring your town! You've sure put a lot of work into it and it shows!

Karen also

o

swtncgram - I just love your village - I love the depth you get in it and the fact that you actually have streams going someplace. I have never been able to capture that look. I have several really neat waterwheel mills and just havent gotten the right setting. How long does it take you to set that up???....

Lynne

o

luvstocraft: I promise that I'll add a picture of my Christmas Village next week as soon as I'll put it on the right place (I have to go to the shopping mall to buy the snow).
I'm just ashamed that I bought a little Christmas village... the pictures are so beautiful!
Christmas time is firstly my baby since it is the first website I created: its first goal is to contain useful tips for Xmas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas Time

o

Thank you Karen, glad you liked the stoll through my village.
Karen

Lynn, thank you....it takes about 6 to 8 weeks to get it done and then I still change things around.....

o

Hi :)

As promised, here is a picture of my christmas village.

The quality of this picture is not the best (the picture expert is my son, but he's still sleeping).

I have to add some branches to hide the wires.

Next year, I go to England to purchase new houses: they have beautiful houses in this country. I'll also put the village on a special table that I'll buy for this purpose.

o

Very nice villages. I have been setting up Dickens Village for 13 or 14 years. Last year I ran out of time but made sure to make the time this year. It is smaller than previous years but still looks great. I'll post a couple pics soon.

o

I inherited a village. I did not want it to consume the space it could easily morph into. I ended up emptying a book case and on the different shelves placed: main street;homes; churches; park. It looks nice and doesn't get in the way. The cat pictures would be my nightmare--that or small children. I don't have either but I also need to LIVE in my home while it is decorated!!

o

What a wonderful site to see this morning.
Don't have time to look at all now but I will
b back and browse.

Maybe DGD and I should bring out her
Christmas village and set it up tomorrow.
I will ask her and we'll see what she thinks.

Punk

o

What a blast from the Past to see this old post !! And I love Village stuff, including the cats. LOL.

This sure brought a smile to my face today.
hugs, Karen

o

Funny that a 'sales' pitch brought up this old post! Cool one tho! LOL! Jeanne S.

o

The post that brought this ancient one back to life has some pretty good info and photos on it. I think its one I might have even bookmarked a long time ago, looked sort of familiar.

hugs, Karen

o

Excellent site, I've got a long way to go with my new village. I'm going to hate having to put it away in January. Does anyone keep there's out all year?
Christine

o

Hi Everyone. I was just looking for things for next year.

I am just putting away this year's village. (lol)

It is so funny, I never knew this thread was hear.

I can always use all the help I can get.

I sure wish all the old pictures were still here.

It is never too early to be thinking about next year.

Happy New Year!
P.S. Does anyone keep anything up or put any of the houses up for other holidays?
I think I will do a little Valentines display with a candy themed house.

o

I do have some Dept 56 Dickens Village houses I am not using.
If anyone wants them, let me know.

o

Baileybear, I have a 'start' on a Fall-Thanksgiving Village. Just two houses and some cute accesssories so far. From the LeMaxx site I believe, got them two or three years ago so not sure now. Of course I'm always on eBay looking for stuff . I've seen some really cute Halloween Villages too. (And Easter ones tho not sure who made those. A good friend of mine, Kirk who comes here some, has found a LOT of Easter pieces at thrift shops in his area of WA.) Oh, and I'll find my "want list" and see if any Dickens pieces are on it and let you know in case you have them.

Christine, if you're enjoying your Village, I say leave it out as long as you want. Personally I consider mine more of a "Winter" decor than Christmas. One year I set up first part of Nov and left it up till Feb 1st, so I could enjoy it even longer. I saw a GREAT set once, in a magazine long ago. A couple had a neat set-up in some kind of large linen type closet, with electricity for the buildings to light up. When they didn't want it seen, they just closed the doors! So theirs was set up all the time. :o)

My little Fall Village, set up in a tray on vintage tea cart.
close-up up of little village pieces photo IMG_FallVillagecloseup.jpg

hugs, Karen

This post was edited by purplemoon on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 19:18

o

Many thanks to Arcy who resurrected this thread. I enjoyed seeing the many displays.

o

Here is mine. The ceramic houses of course would all light up--but I don't bother. The other houses my dad made years ago so I combine them all. All inherited, two families into our one. DH made the book case for his mom years ago. She had a specific purpose and place for it for years. When not dressed for Christmas it holds family pictures and mementos from her. The buildings she chose to purchase were connected to them, A library--she was the reason her small town had a library;City Hall--FIL was mayor for 30 years; Pet Hosp: FIL was a veterinarian; School house--their home was across the street from the school, I am a teacher. Train--my Grandfather was a lineman....you get the idea.

o

Arcy, its wonderful your Village has so many special family memories....including the bookcase its displayed on. I love when things have a 'history'. Thanks for sharing yours.
hugs, Karen

o

Wonderful villages, arcy & purplemoon ... just love seeing these again & Jim's & Lynneinnc with her kitty cat! Fun! Hope you'll share some pics Baileybear. Jeanne S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here