Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phonegirl_gw

Old Secretary Decorated for Fall

phonegirl
11 years ago

I had mentioned last week that I had seen this old scrolled secreatary on CL and loved it. Well would you believe I called today while in the city and she still had it. She even came down on the price since it's missing one of the handle pieces.

I didn't see any manufacture tag on it so don't know how old it is. If this looks familar to any of you please let me know. It did come with two skeleton keys.

I decorated it with some fall decor until I decide what books or decor I will keep in it. It will be moving to the bedroom as soon as DS takes the tanning bed to his home.

Oh, it is also missing one of the shelves and a couple screws. DH will probably make one tomorrow. If I want to use this to decorate I wouldn't need one. As you can see there isn't much room between the shelves.

I had a chance to buy one of these 30 years ago and passed. Now I'm kicking myself for every antique of our grandmothers I gave away years ago. My DSis on the other hand kept all her antiques.

Punk

Comments (11)

• nana2010_gw
    11 years ago

What a wonderful piece, Punk. I've never seen one like it.
    It looks beautiful all decked out for Fall.
    Nana

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Wow, punk! What a CL find! It will be beautiful wherever you put it! Looks great w/Fall decor! I like those 'corn' taper candles on the top shelf! And I hope you can have the 'desk part' open when it finds a permanent home...beautiful! Lots of treasures could find a home there! TFS! Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    11 years ago

OK. That's not fair. I have been looking for one of those for ages. You sure found a good one. Love the height.

I think you should leave the desk open too. You know, you might even wedge in a shelf or two in a few of those slots. That way you could display a figurine, paper flower, or a few small knickknacks, instead of having to find all tall, skinny things.

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

I dont know that woodwork on the drop door is fantastic. it looks good closed as well !!

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nana, I had never seen one like this either. Maybe that's the reason I bought it.

Jeanne, I'm not sure I would of thought to decorate the center and leave it open. I like this idea for a change. Will have to see if I like dusting it every week.LOL

OA, hope you find one soon. DH already made another shelf and stained it. I will ask if he'd like to make a few more little ones. Great idea!

Minnie, I agree, the scroll work on the door is nice.

Thanks Nana, Jeanne, OA and Minnie for looking and commenting. It will be fun to decorate for Christmas soon.

Punk

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

What a great find! Love it's design...the handle will be easy to replace as it is a common one. Looks so nice with all of your fall decorations too....Woohoo for you!!

• party_music50
    11 years ago

Punk, I'm with OA in saying it's not fair. lol! That secretary is just gorgeous!!! I'm NO EXPERT at all, but if I had to guess I'd say it's from the early 1900s. It looks to be Arts & Crafts style (from the carving and size), but what's throwing me is the cabriole legs. Could the legs be replacements?

I love your new secretary! I just gave up looking on CL and ordered a tall but narrow mission-style bookcase to help with my storage problem. :O)

• plainjane425
    11 years ago

Punk...you certainly found a beautiful secretary and it
    looks like a real quality piece too. I love the lines and
    I agree that keeping it open shows off more of its
    character.
    Love how you decorated it for Fall. I think I would
    find a place for it ANYWHERE I could, to show it off.
    I'm so happy for you finding another 'toy to play with' !! lol
    jane

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marlene, thanks, I don't need the handle. It's one of the little round side pieces the handle fits in. If you have a good source please let me know.

Party, I took the drawer out and it doesn't look like the legs are replacements to me but I will ask others who come by. CL here has so many neat ones for sale. Some are thousands but others are priced to sell quick.

Jane, I was hoping to find a place for it this weekend but other things have come up so it might not find a spot till next year at this rate.LOL I better stick to buying only antique furniture from now on.

Thanks for all your comments.

Punk

• christmascandy
    11 years ago

Punk,
    You sure made a great score on that beautiful piece!
    I found my secretary on CL a couple of years ago and just love it.

You did a wonderful job decorating it and I'm sure you will have lots of fun changing it for all the different seasons/holidays.

You could try Restoration Hardware for your round piece. Sometimes the Habitat for Humanity stores have old hardware if you have one of those near you.

Regardless, its a beautiful piece and I'm sure you'll be very happy together, LOL

TFS,
    Candy

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Candy, thanks for the sweet comments.
    I just did a search and found the part
    I need. I'm pretty sure now I could
    find this type of drawer pull and only
    use the little round piece thats missing.

Thanks for the nudge to get me lookin'.

Punk

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions