Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Barnwood Tote Project & Update on Porch Wall Shelf

jeannespines
12 years ago

Made it to HLobby today & got a few of those adjustable plate stands ...they work pretty well & I used my 40% coupon on one of them...here is my "Vintage Steubenville Woodfield Salmon Pink Tea & Toast Plate & Cup Set" updated from Sun:

I like it much better ...& would like some more of those handmade paper leaves I got earlier for 50% ...but they were gone today.

I did get another squirrel like the one I have on my buffet but this one is a 'baby' ...same mold tho ...just smaller...50% off at HL so he was $3.50 (couldn't pass that bargain up!) I sat him next to my bigger one (for comparison) that I had bought (full price) earlier this Fall at a specialty store:

Then I put him on top of the porch wall shelf display...I liked seeing punk's t'scape today where she put a squirrel covered bowl on her elegant 'aqua' table!

Here's a full view pic of the porch wall shelf now:

A close-up of that 'Raven' or Crow or whatever he is...he's made of a kind of resin material, I think ...would like to find another...he was clearance find at a specialty after holiday sale:

The other project I finished up today is this 'Barnwood Tote' ... it's for our Friends of the Library fundraiser where they ask for 'baskets' to be sold at local craft sale...it's a bid auction where you sign up your bid by the basket until the craft show ends in the early afternoon...a great fundraiser:

DH & I made the tote yesterday w/old barnwood, an old table leg spindle & I filled it today w/rafia & attempted to make this burlap bow (ugH..I am not a good bowmaker!)...here's top view of 'tote:'

Added those burlap snowflake ornies that I got 90% off last yr at HL...knew those would come in handy one day! LOL! & a few of my photo cards & a vintage old photo tag bookmark of a young farmboy w/horse:

The red wood Cardinal I got 50% off at HLobby today, too...perfect to go w/this red barnwood tote, I thought:

Cold & rainy day (snow flurries possible tonight) ...

TFlookin'! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stuebenville Post from Sunday, Oct. 30

Comments (14)

• phonegirl
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jeanne, so glad you found some neat things. Your squirrel looks great up on the top shelf. It looks good beside the other one in the second picture too.

I love your barnwood tote you made! The ornies, bird, bow and vintage old photo tag bookmark on the raffia made a beautiful project to donate. BTW, your burlap bow turned out GREAT! Bet this one sells fast. Is that other bird in the background real?

You and DH make such wonderful wood projects. Oh no SNOW!!!

Punk

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, punk ... yes, that's one of my photo cards ...here's the pic on it:

What do you mean...OH NO, SNOW! (not again!) Ugh! high 20's here tonight, is sounds like...Winter is coming too fast! Thanks for your comments. Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Your plates look sooooo good standing up, I'm glad you found the display stands and did this. You make me wish I could get to Hobby Lobby tho, that little cardinal is really cute and you know how I love cardinals. (mine are all packed with the Xmas decor at the moment).
    The little squirrel is cute too.

We use to do those "silent auctions" at our dog club, and they were really good money raisers. I'm sure your basket/wood tote will get a lot of bids on it!!

hugs, Karen

• trudymom
    12 years ago

jeannespine, love, love, love your barnwood tote and how you filled it!! Great job!! Thanks for sharing!!

• maximavswife
    12 years ago

Oh I do love those plates! And that squirrel! I may have to make a run to HL at lunch today to see if I can find one! That barnwood tote is beautiful! Your bow looks great to me! If I were near you I would bid on it for sure!
    Kath

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

oh boy would I be bidding on that barnwood tote - you and your hubby did a fantastic job and you have put the perfect gifts in it - it all matches so good and the bow is great. Loving the plates - they make a statement now - the shelves look fantastic .....

Lynne

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you punk, PM, trudy, maxi & lynne ....

I do like the plate holders & they will work good for my shelf over the sliding glass door in the DR, too. I fell for those Woodfield leaf plates when I got that 1st one & now I have some of the other colors too. I promise that a t'scape will be coming soon! ;0)

"Silent auction"...that's what they're called ...thanks, PM...yes, a good fundraiser! Glad you all liked the 'rustic' tote...it was a fun project.

Hobby Lobby is about my fav store ... I love their bargains & esp the 'clearance' ones! Hope there is a squirrel left for ya, maxi ...& a cardinal when you get there, too, Karen! (cardinal was in the Christmas decor).

Thanks again, Holiday-ers! Jeanne S.

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Love the way your dishes look on your hutch! Your barnwood tote is just really nice and filled with all sorts of goodies! Love your cardinal card...you are such a great photographer! You should sell your cards Jeanne....how about on Etsy?

• kathleen_li
    12 years ago

It looks great! I love those stitched ornaments in the tote.
    It all looks so warm and cozy. Say no to snow!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, kathleen & marlene...I said 'no to snow' but it didn't do me any good!

Pumpkin reflections on arbor bench seat this morning:

DH keeps the birds fed...they loved him today in the bird arbor out the LR windows:

...and this one I shared earlier:

Happy Fall! LOL! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

Lovely...Lovely...Lovely!
    You're a true master of putting together wonderful
    vignettes! Your plate display is gorgeous. Again, so warm and welcoming. The praying farmers...is actually called 'The Angelus' it was done by Jean-Francois Millet.
    (another artist who's work I love).
    He was another master of 'Simplistic Farm Scenes'.
    Funny Jeanne...how we share the same tastes and have collected the same things. Again, are you sure we weren't seperated at birth??? I was born in Ohio...not too far from Iowa...before I became a 'New Yawker'! lol
    YOur Barnwood Tote is fantastic! I love how you finished it and used the table leg spindle for added interest.
    All the extra goodies inside are so lovely...I'm sure it will be a hit at the auction...Wish I was there to bid on it!

jane

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

Jeanne, I totally agree with all the other gals have said. You and your DH make such a good team and you sure picked just the right goodies to go inside it. Great display of your pretty plates, looks really good.

Would you believe our Hobby Lobby has finally opened--but I haven't had a chance to get over to check it out yet? I agree Jeanne, love their clearance sales. I will have to see if I can get one of my neighbor/friends to come stay with DH so I can get over there before all the good stuff is gone! Who am I kidding, bet tons of it went out on the first day! LOL

Luvs

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks jane & luvs...appreciate your comments.

luvs...I am so excited for you that your HL has opened...hope you enjoy having an hour or two to browse thru it soon...don't worry about missing bargains...cause there are 'bargains' every week ...most weeks have a 40% coupon in newspaper or go online ...40% off a reg priced item.

jane...'The Angelus'...thank you...I had forgotten...love JFMillet's art...he also did 'The Gleaners' which we both may share also. ;-) Thanks for your lovely comments...we could be 'sistas!' ;-) Jeanne S.

....by my computer desk wall, jane:

• plainjane425
    12 years ago

That's right Jeanne..I thought someone on here had that print...forgot it was you! lol
    Another beautiful scene

jane

Sponsored
More Discussions