Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wingo_43

Glass blocks for Christmas?

wingo_43
17 years ago

Here's a question for all:

Have any of you ever heard of using the clear glass blocks like the ones sold at HD and Lowe's as Christmas decorations? These are the blocks (or tiles) that are about 3 to 4 inches thick and are hollow inside.

My next-door neighbor told me about drilling a small hole in the bottom, then inserting a single light from a strand of Christmas lights into the hole to illuminate the block. You can then stack several into the shape of a Christmas tree, or line them up along a fireplace mantel, etc.

At $3 to $4 bucks a block, this wouldn't be a cheap project, but sounds unique. Would love to see some pics if anyone has done this.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• frances_ar
    17 years ago

Here's some pics. I've never done any myself, but have wanted to for years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass blocks

• gordon43812
    17 years ago

Actually they are really easy to do, and depending on the size and the look you want you can do it really cheap. I have even put pics of family on them. Put in single colored strings of lights and a ribbon around it and they look like christmas presents.Have fun!

• shootingstars
    17 years ago

How do you get the lights in the block. I have only been able to find the lights with a connection at each end. Is there a place to buy light with only one end??

• iowagirl2006
    17 years ago

This has been a really popular thing for the past couple years. I haven't made any - just not my "thing" - but I sure have seen some neat ones.

All suggest using a certain type diamond hole saw to drill out the blocks.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

At the little antique/collectibles shop where I work, there are two glass blocks that already have an oval opening in the bottom of them. I asked the owner about them (They use them to put under items at the back of a shelf so the item sits up higher) and he said he wasn't sure, but thought they just bought them at Lowes.

Anyone seen any with the cutout already in them? That sure would be allot easier than having to drill them. I haven't had a chance to check at Lowes yet.

Luvs

• shootingstars
    17 years ago

I have already put the holes in the blocks. I just cant get the lights in. Any ideas??

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Shootstars - try looking at Joann's or Michael's for the one ended cord bulbs for the glass blocks. They also carry battery operated ones. Joann's has a great sale going on till this weekend.

Sal

• country_bumpkin_al
    17 years ago

Right now, you can find the one end white Christmas lights and places like Hobby Lobby. I use the 20 light strand. I made one of the Glass Block Lights for my MIL last year for Christmas and used a picture of her Grandparents. She LOVED it!! I'm not much for making something that will only be used a few weeks out of the year, so I usually do mine using family pictures. I even made a Memorial glass block for a friend of mine that lost her baby boy last year. I used a picture of Jesus holding a baby and added a poem.

• snolady
    17 years ago

Treasures from DJ has some glass block lights and she has directions posted on how to make them as well. Hope this helps you. If you use a strand of Christmas mini lights they should easy go through the drilled hole. If you use the single light like is used for Christmas villages, you will need the hole to be sized according to the light bulb size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass block lights

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions