Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Ever heard of a Pumpkin Tree? Added it to Porch Decor

jeannespines
12 years ago

A wonderful weekend w/gr'kids here & today my DD brought me this "Pumpkin Tree" from "Trader's Jo" in MN/StPaul area...I had never seen branches like these before...so I Googled it & I put the cuttings in a dry vase & will see what happens! The Google link is at the bottom of this thread. (I'll have to keep those gr'kids here more often!) LOL!

I got my porch Fall/Halloween decor done last week so added them to the corner vignette:

The candleholders/candles were a recycled craft show purchase last weekend & the vase on the right was a MN vac TS find in Sept. Here's lighted close-up:

They sure look like 'pumpkins,' don't they! (or small squashed tomatoes!) (actually eggplant according to the site below):

Just a bit over from this is my vine tree all decorated for Fall/Halloween ...it has a couple new ornies this yr ...mercury-like Candy Corn:

And my fav Halloween blocks (from our "luvs" here on the Forum)...aren't they just adorable in the window! (thanks again, luvs!) The barnwood bench was made this summer by DH & didn't get sold at Farmer's Mrkt so I scored again for this holiday season! On it is a Longaberger fabric cover that a good friend brought me back from her vac...& a wire acorn candleholder that I often use outside:

Sorry, a bit blurry...but you get the jest of it! I'll share a few more on another post ...as I want to catch up on new posts from you all! TFLookin'! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin Tree Perfect Decor

Comments (10)

• phonegirl
    12 years ago

Jeanne, never heard of a pumpkin tree but they are adorable. Do you think you could keep longer by coating with varnish? I sure hope the seeds make it to our area next year.

The pumpkins look good with your new candle holders. I really like the vase you found on your trip. Perfect colors for your woodsy look.
    Always fun to see your vine tree. Mercury candy corn sounds so cute. Could you post a close up picture of them for us?

Luvs blocks and paintings are always good to see again. Neat bench DH made and looks great with your added touch. Thanks for sharing all of this.

Punk

• christmascandy
    12 years ago

Jeanne, they do resemble small pumpkins. What a nice gift.
    Your porch vignette is awesome, esp. the wire acorn!
    I second Punk's request for a closeup of the mercury candy corn.
    Sweet of Luvs to make those amazing blocks for you and the little bench is so cute. The vine tree is especially fab looking!

The porch is looking very festive, and ready for fall.

TFS,
    Candy

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

candy & punk...thanks for your comments! Here's the mercury glass-like Candy Corn ornies ...a gift from a very good friend! They are big! 3" tall:

I love 'em!

Here's a couple pics I hi-jack posted on one of purplemoon's posts last week...the Halloween frame I found at Gordmann's for $6 ...it's a fav pic of my kids & friends celebrating Halloween w/my Gr'ma in a nursing home (circa 1981)...anyway, it's a pic I sit out & this frame seemed perfect! (reminded me of luv's creative Halloween blocks):

On this same ledge sits this fav of my kids' Halloween & the scarecrow & pumpkins are b'day gifts from friends a few yrs back:
    {{gwi:195354}}

Happy Halloween today!!! Jeanne S.

whoops! on the ledge pic is this one!:

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

I LOVE your vine tree and all of the ornaments..especially the candy corn! And the pumpkin tree branches are just great...never seen those before. Neat candle holders too...your porch is completely dressed for fall and looks wonderful!

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

Jeanne those branches really do look like little pumpkins. Of course my crafty mind immediately thought of those packages of little plastic pumpkins at DT and how we could glue them on branches to duplicate! LOL

All your decor looks so nice, your tree looks really neat all decorated with the garland and new ornaments. I especially noticed the big metal acorn, that's a nice one.

Glad you are still enjoying the blocks and I love the frame and picture you put in it as well.

Happy Halloween,
    Luvs

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

That little pumpkin tree is soooo neat. And I like Luvs idea of making a faux one, cause Heaven knows I'd probably kill the real thing. ;o)

As always, I'm in love with your vine tree! And that tablecloth under it is neat too.

Your decor is wonderful as always.
    hugs, Karen

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Jeanne, everything is beautiful.

Marylee

• yachter123
    12 years ago

Never heard of one, we have Trader Joe's around here too, may have to go see if they have them. Maybe they are more of a midwest plant.

Really pretty with all your beautiful fall decor on your porch.

• party_music50
    12 years ago

jeannespines, those 'pumpkin trees' are awesome!

I just love your grapevine tree and really want one for myself. I started to make one from honeysuckle vine last year, but only got it half done. Would you mind telling me the dimensions of your tree? both height and maximum diameter at the bottom? I'm guessing that it's 3 feet tall and less than 18" dia.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks marlene, PM, marylee, yachter, & party!

When I Googled to try to find info on them, I found this site ...so it looks like they're grown in San Diego Co.

luvs...I'm sure you were thinkin' of ways to 'craft' one! ;-)

party...I just to my tape & measured...you are close...I get 41-42" ht & about 19-20" dia. Gosh, that is cool that you are making one...I did a vine wreath from some growing in our trees today ...just wrapped it round & round & wired it tog ...I can't imagine doing this type of tree! Kudos to you!

Thanks all! Possibility of flurries here tomorrow...another big change in the weather! Beautiful 70 today so was outside most the day! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: pumpkin tree site

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions