Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

My Pumpkin' is done!

jeannespines
11 years ago

I shared this pumpkin the other day ... made from cement in one of those 'plastic pumpkins' that kids carry to Trick or Treat... 25 cts from thrift store. Actually I had 'vinyl cement' on hand so DH & I used that ... didn't have enough to above eyes is regular Quikcrete.

Painted it last night w/acyrlics & today gave it a coat of poly & some TS leaves & curled some wire, cut pine branch for a stem ... it's on my porch here but it will be going outside for Halloween decor!

Happy October!! Jeanne S.

Comments (15)

• phonegirl
    11 years ago

Oh Jeanne, I Love your new pumpkin. It was worth the wait huh? Wonderful job painting on both the pumpkin and leaves. Branch made a sweet stem for this.

I have never heard of 'vinyl cement' before. What do you normally use it for? Thanks for sharing this fun project.

Punk

• party_music50
    11 years ago

Your pumpkin is too cute, Jeanne. It really makes me smile!

I've never heard of vinyl cement before either.... I'm puzzled now because my research leads me to believe it's an adhesive for vinyl fabrics (?)

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, punk & nana ... DH & I started using the vinyl cement on the rock faces that we pour ...because the noses kept breaking off or wearing off w/Quikcrete cement. It's much more expensive but sets up so nice. It's great to use to cast rhubarb leaves or elephant ears for bird waterers/feeders & such. Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Menards vinyl cement patch

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whoops! Thanks punk & 'party!' Jeanne S.

• sameboat
    11 years ago

That is really neat!

• plainjane425
    11 years ago

Love it Jeanne...I also love how you finished it off and addeded the leaves...it turned out GREAT!
    Thanks for the link on the Menards vinyl cement patch.
    Never heard of it before either. DH might know of it and will ask him...I'm clueless on this and will definitely check it out.
    Don't know if you remember my doing Paper Mache Jack O's
    with my oldest Grandson a couple of yrs ago. This is such a wonderful project that I know he'd
    love doing. Thank You ... Thank You for the
    idea and inspiration!
    jane

• party_music50
    11 years ago

OMG, Thank you for that link on the vinyl cement patch! It's exactly what I need to repair some damage on my basement wall "skim coat"! No Menards around here, but I'm sure I'll find it someplace locally. :)

• maximavswife
    11 years ago

Wow! Jeanne that is just the best pumpkin ever! It won't rot and the squirrels won't eat it lol! Love it!
    Kath

• milosmom_gw
    11 years ago

Ooo... Little pumpkin dude turned out soooo pretty!
    You did a great job with the leaves and the stem.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Holiday-ers, for your comments ... fun project! It's going on a big stump by the front door steps. It's heavy, too ... so the squirrels shouldn't 'carry' it off! LOL! Jeanne S.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's my cement pumpkin outdoors @the front door steps:

We had a good rainy weekend! FINALLY! Here's some of my Fall decor out front, too ...the Bird Arbor area:

A close-up of ....ahhh, PBkt is acting up for me...I'm going to post another after this one. Jeanne S.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Try again ...closeup view of the Chickadee in the bird arbor:

...and my pesky friend is back! His color fits in good with the garden Fall decor tho, doesn't it!

So good to have some rain! TFLookin'! Jeanne S.

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

Really clever thanks for posting

• party_music50
    11 years ago

Love your bird arbor area, Jeanne! Pretty photos!!!

It's great to finally get a soaking rain after a long wait! We had NO rain all summer and then it started raining in September... now the rain doesn't want to stop!

• christmascandy
    11 years ago

That HALLOWEEN Pumpkin is so cute and clever, and it would not blow away in the wind we get around here!!! Could you turn it around when Halloween is over and just use it as a pumpkin for fall/Thanksgiving?

Also love your other outdoor decor and of course, your bird photo is fabulous as always. You never disappoint with your ideas and decor. The squirrel is cute, but they sure can be pests!

TFS,
    Candy

Sponsored
More Discussions