Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Pumpkin' is done!

Posted by jeannespines (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 18:31

I shared this pumpkin the other day ... made from cement in one of those 'plastic pumpkins' that kids carry to Trick or Treat... 25 cts from thrift store. Actually I had 'vinyl cement' on hand so DH & I used that ... didn't have enough to above eyes is regular Quikcrete.

Cement Pumpkin & TS Glass 10.12

Painted it last night w/acyrlics & today gave it a coat of poly & some TS leaves & curled some wire, cut pine branch for a stem ... it's on my porch here but it will be going outside for Halloween decor!

Cement Pumpkin A10.12

Happy October!! Jeanne S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Pumpkin' is done!

Oh Jeanne, I Love your new pumpkin. It was worth the wait huh? Wonderful job painting on both the pumpkin and leaves. Branch made a sweet stem for this.

I have never heard of 'vinyl cement' before. What do you normally use it for? Thanks for sharing this fun project.

Punk

o

Your pumpkin is too cute, Jeanne. It really makes me smile!

I've never heard of vinyl cement before either.... I'm puzzled now because my research leads me to believe it's an adhesive for vinyl fabrics (?)

o

Thanks, punk & nana ... DH & I started using the vinyl cement on the rock faces that we pour ...because the noses kept breaking off or wearing off w/Quikcrete cement. It's much more expensive but sets up so nice. It's great to use to cast rhubarb leaves or elephant ears for bird waterers/feeders & such. Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Menards vinyl cement patch

o

Whoops! Thanks punk & 'party!' Jeanne S.

o

That is really neat!

o

Love it Jeanne...I also love how you finished it off and addeded the leaves...it turned out GREAT!
Thanks for the link on the Menards vinyl cement patch.
Never heard of it before either. DH might know of it and will ask him...I'm clueless on this and will definitely check it out.
Don't know if you remember my doing Paper Mache Jack O's
with my oldest Grandson a couple of yrs ago. This is such a wonderful project that I know he'd
love doing. Thank You ... Thank You for the
idea and inspiration!
jane

o

OMG, Thank you for that link on the vinyl cement patch! It's exactly what I need to repair some damage on my basement wall "skim coat"! No Menards around here, but I'm sure I'll find it someplace locally. :)

o

Wow! Jeanne that is just the best pumpkin ever! It won't rot and the squirrels won't eat it lol! Love it!
Kath

o

Ooo... Little pumpkin dude turned out soooo pretty!
You did a great job with the leaves and the stem.

o

Thanks, Holiday-ers, for your comments ... fun project! It's going on a big stump by the front door steps. It's heavy, too ... so the squirrels shouldn't 'carry' it off! LOL! Jeanne S.

o

Here's my cement pumpkin outdoors @the front door steps:

Cement Pumpkin Outdoors 10.12

We had a good rainy weekend! FINALLY! Here's some of my Fall decor out front, too ...the Bird Arbor area:

Rainy Fall Decor Bird Arbor 10.12

A close-up of ....ahhh, PBkt is acting up for me...I'm going to post another after this one. Jeanne S.

o

Try again ...closeup view of the Chickadee in the bird arbor:

Chickadee Bird Arbor Maple Tree 10.12

...and my pesky friend is back! His color fits in good with the garden Fall decor tho, doesn't it!

Squirrel sunflower Bird Arbor 10.12

So good to have some rain! TFLookin'! Jeanne S.

o

Really clever thanks for posting

o

Love your bird arbor area, Jeanne! Pretty photos!!!

It's great to finally get a soaking rain after a long wait! We had NO rain all summer and then it started raining in September... now the rain doesn't want to stop!

o

That HALLOWEEN Pumpkin is so cute and clever, and it would not blow away in the wind we get around here!!! Could you turn it around when Halloween is over and just use it as a pumpkin for fall/Thanksgiving?

Also love your other outdoor decor and of course, your bird photo is fabulous as always. You never disappoint with your ideas and decor. The squirrel is cute, but they sure can be pests!

TFS,
Candy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here