Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

'Guardian Angel Day' - Oct 2nd Tablescape (pic heavy)

jeannespines
13 years ago

I picked "Guardian Angel Day" from Purplemoon's Oct holiday list & did a t'scape today...been wanting to do a B&W one ...so I had alot of fun doing this one! Bear with me any imperfections as I am learning! One thing I learned this week (from kathleen, I think) is BIN ..."blade knife in." Sunlight is streaming in thru the sliding doors on this porch table:

The octagon shaped black plates I purchased at GW this summer for $1 ea & also a set of 4 salad bowls for same price...says "France" on backsides. The Spode bread plates I got at a TS about a yr ago when I got hooked on the Holiday Forum....love 'em. The white plate is Pier I I've used in other t'scapes. Here's a close-up:

Silverware is Hampton Oslo Hammered (discont) ...I only have 2 place settings & am constantly on the look-out for more!

Here's a fuller view of the t'scape...the t'cloth is fabric I purchased at HLobby on sale $5 yd...the print called to me cause of the Spode plates...2 yards didn't cover my table...I am going to make napkins & place mats with the fabric later. Glassware is very old ... gifted to me by my Mom yrs ago who saved it for me in cedar chest).. I've broken some & tried to replace...ahhh, that's another story for later...I rattle on.

The flowers are hyrdrangea's from my gardens....they change colors & are in the drying stage now...white ceramic pitcher I made my G'ma in the 70's & she gifted it back long ago. Salt & pepper shakers a wedding gift for DH & myself:

The framed works I took from my wall in computer/craft room...it's a gift from my sis & I filled it with fav family pics I printed in B&W. Here's a closer view of S&P & framed prints:

I based this "Guardian Angel" holiday with this statue in mind...I keep it close to my heart...I gifted this to my Mom when she was very sick:

Guardian Angels...family, friends & His hands to lift you up. Here's the last pic...full view of the table...too much sunlight filtering in...but who doesn't LOVE the sun! TFLookin' ... Jeanne S.

Comments (18)

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Jeanne, your table is awesome. To start, I love your table cloth and it is beautiful with your dishes and the ray of sunshine coming in gives a peace within. The stemware from DM makes this table more meaningful. Quit breaking them for goodness sakes. S & P goes so well on this table too.

Your frame works from DSis with all your black and white pictures is priceless. Enjoyed your hyrdrangea's in the vase, they are at a wonderful stage.

I truly love the precious "Guardian Angel" statue with the praying hands. Job WELL DONE on your table and your chairs even go with your B & W themed table! It just took my breath away. Thank you for letting your talent shine on.

Punk

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Gosh, Jeanne. Once again you've created something that not only acts as a treat for the eyes, but acts as a "warmer" for the heart. I love every aspect of this table. It's down right gorgeous. And your stories that are attached to the various pieces make me wish I knew you better! Maybe someday we will all get on that bus.

• yachter123
    13 years ago

It's almost like a beautiful vignette on back of table & then the two settings in front, clever idea & it works perfectly!

I always do mine in the center, but with 6 for dinner every nite, I need all the seating clear, would love to do one at one end of the table, I've seen that also.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

I agree this table captures many feelings.
    It's so lovely to look at and I loved reading
    the stories attached to the many pieces as well.
    I love how you layered your plates..they work so well together especially with that beautiful fabric.
    The little Guardian Angel is lovely, and I'm sure is a very treasured piece..
    I would handle those stems 'Very Carefully' they are not
    only lovely, but also priceless!

jane

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks punk, OA & yachter for your gracious comments.

First, punk...the t'cloth isn't actually one...wasn't big enough but it will make beautiful napkins & placemats...it's cotton & I love the pattern. The black fabric is extra material from shortening swag curtains...worked out nice for centerpc & also covers up the "Sorry" game for the frame to sit on. LOL!

yachter...yup, I just need a table for two altho my original plan was to set it for 4...thank you..this porch table seats 6...piano bench is on backside for 2 GK's, usually.

OA...thank you, sweet woman, you're a woman after my own heart...I think we may have been friends in another life! LOL! The pics I put tog about 3 yrs ago...GK's have grown!

I did get one matching goblet with black base that day for $1.50 but that's all I could find that was probably part of this France set of plates...it's behind the S&P shaker but blends into the fabric.

And the white napkins I played & played with because they are not the best sewn ones in the world! My DS-I-L brought them home from Iraq along with a t'cloth for Christmas a few yrs back. I did like them better after adding those "silverware" napkin rings.

I took the liberty of "not" being perfect (that's easy enough for me!) by switching the bread plate & salad bowls' positions! Thanks again, holiday-ers! What fun! Jeanne S.

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

So well thought out. Your angel statue is perfect and I would say the angels were shining on your table with those beautiful rays "spotlighting" your work.

Beautiful and breathtaking.
    TFS,
    Candy

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I enjoyed the tablescape you put together too Jeanne, and I always love your commentary about each piece and why you chose to use them. Lovely plates, and you sure got the black ones for a good price. What a sweet little angel, I'm sure that was very special to your Mom and now to you. Love all the pictures too, what a perfect way to display them in that neat frame. Luvs

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, luvs & candy...me thinks me talks too much sometimes! I'm just enjoying this forum so much & learning something new every day...note to self: must not ramble so much & must work on napkin skills! And learn about goblets & wine glasses...what are the two I've displayed? They probably should have switched spots on the table. I've used the small ones for desserts...would the large one qualify as a water glass???? Don't know much about this. Jeanne S.

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Jeanne, What a lovely lovely table. You did such a wonderful with the place settings, I love your guardian Angel. I think adding you family photos makes your table that much more special.
    NanaKaren

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Jeanne, thanks for the reminder! I remember reading it wasn't a tablecloth but I still love it with your dishes. It would make beautiful napkins & placemats. It's hard for me to stay focused when I start typing.LOL

Punk

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jane...I missed you...must have posted at same time. Thank you...the "stems" (glassware) got broke in a moving process yrs ago & stuck up the tipsy-top kitchen cupboards ...I was not careful enough...ugh! ...and didn't have the appreciation for them as I do now!

A few yrs back I got so excited cause while browsing an antique store on lunch break from work (with friends) I spotted the same stems ...or so I thought & I bought them because they had the same star on etched in the bottoms...so here are the 2 diff patterns I have...they weren't the same "stems!" Ughhh...so now I don't know the ID of either one:

Here's the ones from my Mom (I think):

Tried to take evening pic of table last night:

Does anyone know about these "stems?" I do have an elegant glassware book ...still looking for ID. Thanks! Jeanne S. ...thanks, nana, for your comments, too! Appreciated!

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

Jeanne, that is just beautiful! It looks "heavenly", really!
    The star on the glasses looks like the Star of David. I have never seen glasses like that.
    Yes, BIN! :) My gkids remember now!
    Lovely table and sentiments! We all need a Guardian Angel.
    I remember a little prayer we used to say when I was young. Still applies.

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Its simply beautiful, Jeanne. (and you do NOT talk too much. Your posts are a total joy and I'm thrilled you are part of our family here.)
    I am thinking you must be a professional photographer in your 'secret life'. LOL.
    You take the most amazing pictures! Half the time I want to print them out to frame! Or go make myself a Kodak calendar with them...LOL, now that would be a great idea!!

{{gwi:77274}}

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kathleen for your comments & sending me that GA poem...precious.

Purplemoon...thanks, too...LOL about my rattling on ...I am happy that you enjoy my pics ...I soften the edges lots of times & I pick & choose from pics I take for my cards. So you made my day with your compliments! And I am enjoying all the "Enablers R Us" on this "family" forum! Jeanne S.

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Those first pictures are beautiful and so peacefilled! I really would like to just look at them...somehow they are very calming. Maybe I need to put one on my desktop...would that be alright with you???
    Thank you so much for posting your lovely table setting.
    J

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Heavens, yes, jaybird! I'd love to have a pic on your desktop! This is the one I have on my desktop...it's a fav of cardinals feeding. Thanks for your comments! Jeanne S.

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

There's nothing left that everyone else hasn't said. The whole table is lovely. Great job. I'am always behind on commenting on posts on Monday, because DH and I made an agreement that we will not spend time on the computer on the weekends, we really do get a lot more done that way. But I miss commenting on all the great posts.
    Frou

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

What a lovely table, Jeanne! I actually think that the sunlight streaming in on it just adds to the Guardian-Angels-watching-over-you feel of the table. Love your black & white dishes and how the fabric draping the table enhances the mood. You angel statue and family pics make it very personal, too. BIG congrats!!
    Lynn

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County
More Discussions