Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Help with DR tablescape

Oakley
11 years ago

I need help from the pro's! This isn't anything holiday though, but I'm sure you can give me advice anyways.

My DS, wife and two toddlers will be moving in temporarily in February while their house is being built. Next door, I'm on cloud nine! lol.

Right now it's just DH and I, and we generally eat dinner in the LR while reading or watching TV.

We decided to do family dinners every night when possible at the dining room table.

Which means I can no longer do a stand-out centerpiece. I think the best bet is getting a lazy susan.

All the one's I've seen online are rather plain, so I need to spiff it up some by what I set on it.

I'll buy some decorative salt and pepper shakers. They'll probably be a bit taller than usual so I can have some height.

What else can I put there to make the center of the table stand out? I thought about a narrow vase with silks, but I can see those falling over when the susan is being used.

Thoughts? BTW, I've bought a few Christmas things. It's Walmart's fault! ;)

Comments (6)

• party_music50
    11 years ago

I like to use the fancy bottles that are packed with fruit, herbs, or peppers to flavor oils or vinegars. I think they're beautiful! Like the ones shown here.

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

How about using a compote or a cake stand to put your centerpiece on....that way you can move it or use it on the table when dining.

• christmascandy
    11 years ago

A large pretty bowl or a large bowl filled with real fruit to encourage healthy snacking.
    A large candle (0ne of the ones that are at least 6" diameter) that would not fall over.
    A small low silk floral arrangement.
    A basket filled with napkins
    A cute birdhouse.
    A small potted plant.
    A tiered stand to hold rolls, biscuits, muffins, donuts, or any other treat for the meal.
    A cookie jar.
    Any bottom heavy figurine.
    A bottom heavy vase.
    A cute teapot.
    A copper kettle.
    A decorative box.
    A photo cube w/ the DGK's pictures.
    Make a 4 sided picture frame. Use 4 same sized frames and offset the back edge of each frame to overlap the side edge of the next, that makes a square. Then fill the center with florals or branches, or ....
    An apothecary jar with seasonal treats (Peeps, candy corn, mini pumpkins, etc.)
    A decorated cloche.
    A small topiary tree.
    A punch bowl with seasonal decor ( autumn leaves, fresh evergreens, unbreakable Christmas balls)
    A decorative canister.
    A small urn.
    Bookends holding napkins or a cookbook.

Just a few ideas.
    This whole post tried to go away, so I'm submitting it now.
    Candy

• Purplemoon
    11 years ago

Oak...I love the "its Walmart's fault"! LOL, good one!
    I have nothing much to offer, especially after seeing Candy's wonderful long list of a 'few' ideas. ;o)
    I keep a large, pretty bowl on my table most of the time and then put appropriate decor in it for the seasons or holidays. Or do the cake stand/stacked cake plates thing if I want something taller for a change. Tho that has to be moved off during meals.

If you do a pretty centerpiece on a tray, then that makes it real easy to move, so you can have lots of decorating options on one of those!

Congrats on your 'kids' moving next door in the near future, that sounds wonderful for you. Especially during holidays! Meanwhile, your house is going to be busy and noisy and hopefully fun during the next couple of months.
    ;o)

hugs, Karen

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All great ideas! Somehow I completely forgot about a napkin holder, I'm sure we'll need plenty of napkins.

Party, I love those bottles! I've always wanted one. Silly question. Do people actually use what's inside? I think I want mine for a more decorative look.

OTOH, I can't junk up the susan too much. But I just realized I can use museum putty to keep anything from falling over.

Karen, our Walmart is almost completely stocked! I bought two candy cane colored Christmas tree ornaments that are kind of big, and a red metal Christmas present with lid and bow. I'm not going to hang them on the tree though, I'll find a little niche for them. I told dh I wish it were November so I could start working on my little Christmas crafty things. lol

• party_music50
    11 years ago

oakley, I have many of those fancy bottled vinegars/oils -- all gifts. A couple of them did come with a label saying that they are for decorative use only, so just check the labels or make your own.

Sponsored
More Discussions