Return to the Holiday Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Carriage Lights 4 Halloween

Posted by christmascandy (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 14:46

I have dressed my carriage lights on my garage for several years using trick or treat pumpkins. I split them down the back and cut out the bottom and then just slide them over my carriage lights.
I decided they needed more punch, so this year I added the witch hats. They look really cool at night when the lights are turned on!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I filled the point with plastic shopping bags, put it over the top of the pumpkin, and poked 2 holes and used wire to hold it in place. I threaded the wire through a small hole I poked in one side, went down and around the finial of the bottom of the light and then back up through another hole on the other side.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A broader view. There is a 3rd one on the extra garage door, but this gives you the idea.

TTFN,
Candy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Carriage Lights 4 Halloween

Candy,

I LOVE those! I'm going out to see if that will work on our garage carriage lights. Where did you get those great witch hats?

- Magpie

o

Very cool. The neighbor down the street uses pumpkins on his two garage lights, but your witch hats really turn this into a super idea. Thank you VERY MUCH for the step-by-step instructions.

o

Magpie, I bought the hats at ARC yesterday!

OA, Hopefully this will not only keep the hats on in the wind, but otherwise they are so close to the wall that they just looked like a black circle. By using the wire it should keep them in place, and depending on where you poke the holes, it varies the dip in the brim of the hat.

Glad you liked them,
Candy

o

Candy, that looks so neat with the witch hats on your pumkins. Do they still let the light show through or are they just more of a glow? You are a fun one.

Punk

o

Candy, you are something else! What a GREAT idea!
Adding those witch hats was the perfect touch!
You rock, Woman!!

hugs, Karen

o

Your "Halloween-ers" must love you, candy! That is a very cool idea ...& not scary, either! Good idea "stuffing" the witch hats! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

Your Jack's look great Candy! I like the hats you added to them.

Great Minds...I used the same idea for years by the front door of my old house.
We had two carriage lanterns on either side of the door, and I would cover each with a very large Jack o Lantern. The tops were large enough to insert the lantern into, and I used a black wire 'handle' to hold them up and in place.
When I turned the lights on at night, you'd see the large Jack O lantern faces lit up.
I do like how you added the hats to yours for that extra
touch...very clever.

jane

o

Great idea, and just a perfect way to decorate those lights. I have one of the plastic candy pail jack o lanterns, I'll have to see if it would work on my garage and then go find another one if it will! I have one of those big witch hats too--but I was going to wear it when I hand out the candy this year! Remember, copycating is the most sincere form of flattery! LOL

o

Well, you've done it again, that is so creative and just plain cute. Not to mention kids will love it. I have a post light with 3 lanterns, maybe I'll give this a try. At least with the pumpkins.
Frou

o

Punk,
They dim the light somewhat, but still give off light. The faces on the pumpkins show up, and they are very festive.

I also have a couple of different costumes, and I wear one when I hand out the candy. The trick or treaters appreciate it and I will hear them tell others coming up the street "hey, Cruella is handing out candy at that house!"

Glad you liked them, and feel free to copy/flatter me LOL.

TTFN,
Candy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Holiday Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here