Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Upper shelf decorations

oldalgebra
13 years ago

Remember the rigmarole I went through to decorate this area??? Well, here's the Halloween version.

The house is my great grandparent's Wisconsin home and the newspaper article (Death Takes N. Jordan at Grimes Home)

was my grandfather's obituary (son of the man in the poster).

I visited that house when I was 13 and met the little girl (in the white dress) in the picture. She was in her 80s at the time.

This is the shelf over the the bar television. Except for the lights, fluffy spider, and tennis racquet,

all the items are on the shelf year-round.

Note the tennis ball.

Comments (23)

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

That is really spooky looking and very interesting. Do you have a date on it? Is the house still standing? That tennis racquet cracks me up and is perfect up there with your tennis awards. DH and I were playing for a while, then he hurt his, then his shoulder, so it looks like our tennis days are done. Great decorations.
    Frou

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Love how you had the old house inlarged. Many of us can relate to old houses like that. How neat that you even have that obituary. Sounds like your family has the "longevity gene" for sure. Neat additions to your bar area shelf--did you do the spiderweb effect on the tennis racket? And you keep saying you are not crafty! ;o) Luvs

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

OA, I love old pictures like that. The orange lights and the flowers give it an eerie quality, Looks like Mr. Spider has been very busy on your bar shelf. It is so cute.
    NanaK

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

EFF,
    I don't know the exact date, but I'm guessing the little girl in the picture is about 4 years old.
    I know she was born in 1878. That would date the picture at about 1882. Man! I never really
    thought about it. That photograph was taken 128 years ago.

This is what the place looked like when I visited. You can see the house on the left.

This is what it looked like around the mid 70s. It was still in the family then. I have no idea if it's still standing.

Yes, Nana, the spider was very busy. And Luvs guessed correctly. I was the spider.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

AWESOME family pic, OA!...& I see they "saved the barn!" Oh, that is wonderful & the bldg. in front of it! Great to have those 2 pics of then & the 70's. I don't get the "Halloween" part of it, tho ...to me this is just a wonderful pic of an old, old farmhouse where your great-grandparents raised their family. Scary house?///ummmmm...

Now that "boned tennis racket" is quite an original! LOL! Nice eyeball! Looks like the Halloween spirits are invading you now! TFS! Jeanne S.

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

How cool that you have those pictures of the house at different times.

I'll bet Karen is about to jump through the screen to get those purple lights! LOL.

Both areas look great, and I love your idea with the tennis racket/ball. Too cute! The lasting decor also looks very interesting. May I assume you are as into tennis as I am into golf?

TFS,
    Candy

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanne,
    I was going for the Bates Motel look.

Candy,
    My children played tennis. Both my daughter and son played on their college teams. We lived on the tennis courts when they were young.
    My son was pretty good and made it to the Nationals his senior year.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

really neat picture and vignettes - I am really not into Halloween (more of a harvest/fall decorator) but I love to see what other people do - very creative TFS ....

Lynne

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

LOL! Well, OA, if it's the "Bates Motel," then you need to add these ladies to the front of it ...maybe they can be visiting your GGparents! Kind of "batty" lookin', eh? Tee Hee! Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I recognize those two! I believe they're distant cousins who visited that very same summer.
    They'd just come from the Bat Cave Reserves in North Carolina. But they disappeared the day
    after N. Jordan's death, claiming they'd never set foot in the house. I heard their alibis were weak.
    And there was photographic evidence they were present on the day in question. Look here.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

OA - I love old pictures like that, especially when there's a connection and a history. Also the fact that you have pictures of the house at different stages.
    I like the 'Bates Motel' effect. In the second B&W photo when you said you visited...why I can almost see 'Mother' siting at the top window!
    Great spooky golf display..love the eyeball tennis racket...
    that spider though looks like it's had 'one too many' or is just tuckered out from all the 'spinning'!

jane

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

OMgosh, OA! No wonder the "batty cousins" disappeared the day after...they were surely "prime suspects" who better return to their "roost!" LOL! GREAT EDITING, OA! (your teacher skills have paid off...cutting & pasting!) LOL! FUN! Jeanne S.

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

You two are so wacky!
    Great Paste Job OA.
    This looks like a 'Promo' of an old Mystery - Murder,Movie you'd see on TCM.

Love the old pic Jeanne...scary outfits and it wasn't even
    Halloween..

jane

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jane,
    I looked back at the bar shelf and you're right! The spider does took tipsy. Ha. I'll have to get a little step stool and reposition him (and keep the vodka out of his reach).

• party_music50
    13 years ago

OA, that photo sure gives me the creeps (re the Bates Motel effect). I cannot read the article... what happened that caused his death? In any case, I think it all looks great, and that nook above the kitchen cabinets is a very cool spot for you to decorate! Do you also have an electrical outlet up there for the lights?!

psssttt to Candy: I'm an avid golfer! :)

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

What a fun post this has turned into. I am so thrilled that someone fixed up the old place, it looks wonderful in that 2nd picture with the barn all painted, the updated shed and all the nice trees in the yard. What a lot of stories that old house could tell, huh?

Jeanne, I'm so loving the one bat gals lace up boots/shoes, aren't they great?

Thanks for the fun you two.

Luvs

• plainjane425
    13 years ago

OA...
    I'd keep ole spider just as it is, and add that bottle of
    Vodka .. HA!

jane

• valleymagpie
    13 years ago

OA,

You are SO creative! I agree that the old pic of the farmhouse looks a little creepy; I almost expect a bat to come flying out of that second-story window. But my favorite part is the tennis racket! I think I'm going to have our tennis association supper club next year for Halloween. How perfect would that be, sitting beside the front door? I see old wood tennis rackets at our GW from time to time, I can hardly wait to get one and practice!

I love you you stay with the sports theme over the sports bar; it is so clever. And how great are those old pictures? I have a big box of old pics from my dear grandparents and I'm looking for a creepy old house this afternoon!

- Magpie

p.s. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you know...

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

What a great way to start off my morning . . . reading this funny thread and seeing another of your creative projects, OA! I like your Halloweening of the sports bar area, esspecially the eyeball tennis ball and your tipsy spider (LOL)! Love the enlarged family photo up there, too!
    Lynn

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some answers.

What happened that caused his death?
    Actually, it was nothing unsavory. I believe it was cirrhosis of the liver, although he was never known to drink in access. I just used the article because it had "death" in the headline and it kept the whole thing in the family.

Glad Jeanne and I were able to put a smile on some of your faces.

Do you also have an electrical outlet up there for the lights? Yes. My motto: You can never have too many outlets.

I'd keep ole spider just as it is, and add that bottle of Vodka.
    I'm looking for a mini bottle of liquor right after I finish this post!

I almost expect a bat to come flying out of that second-story window.
    Darn! I wish I would have thought of that. It definitely would have added the final, perfect touch. Next time. Or . . . maybe I can just paste some little ones directly on the picture. Oh, gosh. I've got to go get the ladder again.

I can hardly wait to get one and practice.
    Email me when you're ready. I tell you what NOT to do!

Glad Jeanne and I were able to put a smile on your faces.

• kathleen_li
    13 years ago

OA, that is very clever! You are indeed very creative. I loved the story too!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

You and Jeanne make me laugh out loud. I loved this post.
    Honestly, it was hard to get past the first picture with that fantastic framed old house. What a treasure that is.
    And that you actually met the little girl in white!

I hadn't realized you were going for the Bates Motel look till you told us. LOL. Your old house isn't THAT creepy!
    Thank goodness.
    And yes Candy, I do need some of those purple lights. ;o)

hugs, Karen

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

This is great, OA. Jeanne, you sure know how to get things moving. Just when I got control of myself I came to this part. What happened that caused his death? he was never known to drink in access.

BTW, your decorations look wonderful as always. You must of been a kick as a teacher.

Punk

Sponsored
More Discussions