Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victorian227

Christmas in the kitchen

victorian227
16 years ago

Has anyone ever put a Christmas tree in the kitchen? If so, please share what you put on it or what you think would be cute. I am thinking of decorating one with tea accessories or olde time kitchen utensils.

Comments (61)

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

That's my kind of tree, Evelyn! And your mice are cute too. Saw some adorable monkey cupcakes yesterday, so easy and cute. I'll se if I can get the pic over here!
    On another note, how about a Chicken Pot Pie with a message It should read Merry Christmas or something along those lines. But my first attempt, here was my sentiment...

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Kathleen, You are just a hoot! Bet your DH got a laugh out of that when you served it to him! LOL

Evelyn, love your truffle tree! Looks so yummy. Those little mice are so cute too. Are they choc covered cherries, choc kisses and sliced almonds for ears? Just adorable.

Judith, so glad you posted your candyland tree. I had just mentioned that I hoped you would post it.

Okay, Tam, where did you go? You know we want to hear how you are and what you have been up to. Come on back and chat gal.

Luvs

• judithva
    16 years ago

Evelyn, MMMMMmmmm, yummy truffle tree!
    Kathleen, your pot pie is great too, especially in the cold days of winter.

Victorian, thank you, the tree was inspired from another member of GW, her name is Cattknap, she did a lovely Candy tree a couple of years ago, she mostly posts on the main decorating page, hopefully she will post some of her Xmas pics over there as Christmas gets closer.

• jaybird
    16 years ago

I'll go and find Cattknap and shoo her over here....
    I make a Christmas tree shape out of vintage "tinker toys" every year for my kitchen counter. On it I hang small candies, little cookies and pretzels...the girls come along eat up the goodies and rearrange the tinkertoy pieces for me to find!! Too cute!

• cattknap
    16 years ago

LOL - here I am Jaybird - thanks for the email.

Well, this is a fun thread - from the upside down tree, that amazing truffle tree, the kitchen ornament tree and Judith's candyland tree - we are related you know - I have the Mother

tree and she has the daughter tree, LOL.....Judith - your tree is amazing and I hate to play favorites, but your's is the best of all the siblings :-) but don't tell the sisters I like you best.

Here are a few Christmas decorations - now that I have found this forum, I am going to visit more often!

2005 Tree

2006 tree

A few more decorations from the last two years

sideboard

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Cattknap/Christmas%202006/IMG_5133.jpg[/IMG]

Christmas tree with vintage ornaments

tinsel tree

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Guest Bedroom

• victorian227
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cattnap,
    You are right up my alley with those pink and white dishes and I am right there with that feather tree! Beautiful home and decorating! That candy tree is too cute for words. Thank you for posting the pix! On your server with the glass pitcher containing the spoons I have the same idea going on in my kitchen, that is adorable.

Evelyn your truffle tree looks yummy, love the mice and Kathleen I love chicken pot pie, just don't love the time it takes to make! I'm not too good with pie crust.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

All the pics are gorgeous. Loved your Christmas table with those pretty glasses and all. The candyland decorations are so adorable. So did you and Judith make your candy trees or were they purchased somewhere? The candy on the paper that you had as garland on the candyland tree sure brought back some old memories! LOL I love looking at the pics that you and Judith post and trying to figure out why you chose those items and why they all work so well together in a vignette. You two just have the knack--that's all there is to it. And I am so glad you share your pretty creations with us. Luvs

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Luvstocraft - thank you for your sweet :p remarks! I started collecting candy ornaments from all over the U.S. about 8 or 9 years ago. I saw the dot candy one day when I was at a candy store and thought they might make a nice garland....I keep them in a zip lock baggy and they have kept beautifully all these years.

Last year on another decorating site I posted pics of the tree and a bunch of the gals (Judith was one and she went right out and bought lots of fabulous ornaments and did in one year what took me 8 years) decided they would like to make a similar tree and they made some darling ones! It is really fun to collect candy ornaments and you find them in unusual places - I try to wait for the after Christmas sales.....over the years the tree has gone from a tiny 15 inch tree to the 4 foot tree of today.

So that is the saga of the candy tree, LOL.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Beautiful, Cattknap, very tastefully done. I remember seeing your pics last year on the Home Dec forum. I esp like your stacked plates, with your reflection in the top dome! Very nice...glad you have come to Holidays, we love learning from each other.

• User
    16 years ago

Thanks to all for the inspirational pics!

I thought this would be a good place to post this candy wreath I came across.

Jim

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Very cute Jim!

• judithva
    16 years ago

Oh, Cattknap, I am so glad you found your way here too (thanks for emailing her jaybird)! Cattknap, I never tire of looking at your home and designs, easily a best selling book in the making!

Yep, Cattknap is the wonderful orginator of the Candy Tree, I just loved hers when she first posted it. I don't have a young child anymore, nor grandchildren yet, but seeing her Candyland tree brought out the "child" in me, I probably enjoy the theme more than most kids do LOL. So thanks again, Cattknap for all the inspiration you give!

Jim, love the candy wreath, so cute and colorful!

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Oh my, what a huge 'bowl' of Eye Candy on this thread. I am in heaven looking at the pictures.
    Cattknap, I don't think we've met but I am sure glad you came here and are posting. So many beautiful decorations!!
    Would you allow me to put some of the photos in the Inspiration Album I compiled for this forum? hugs Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration album

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Hi Judith! I saw a picture of your living room today for the first time - what a beautiful room! There is something very fun about the candy trees - no doubt about it.

Hi Purplemoon - nice to meet you and thanks for the welcome. You are welcome to use any of my pictures for the album - how nice of you to want to do that.

This is really a very fun forum - I've been looking through the posts - very talented and nice people here!

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Oh my - I love that inspiration album - what beautiful and artful ideas!! Thanks for posting purplemoon.

• terri_ks
    16 years ago

Victorian
    I always decorate my kitchen with a Scandinavian tree as it is my family heritage. I was in KMart a few says ago and Martha Stewart had several lines of ornaments with different themes. One was a Scandinavian tree and I bought some really nice glass balls usually I can only find at scandinavian specialty stores that are way over priced. Anyway, one of the trees was all kitchen items. I did not pay very close attention, but it did catch my eye as being very cute. In fact I thought- only Martha could think of that.

• tamgypsy
    16 years ago

Hello again...:)
    Thank you all for the nice welcome back, I missed all of you...:)
    I am still very busy with life in general but I am starting to have major 'withdraw' symptoms in regards to tablesettings and decorating and I am starting to work on a few things and hopefully will be able to post pictures soon.
    I enjoyed everyones pictures here very much...nothing like a good dose of eyecandy to brighten your day...:).

Judith and cattknap I love your candy trees. I admired the pictures of them last year and wish I had the space to create one too.
    I have had to contain myself from purchasing any more christmas decorations, I tend to buy more each year prior to Christmas only to run out of room to put it all...LOL

So this year I'll be a 'good girl' and use what I have and maybe learn on how to recreate and switch things around...:)

• delphinium33
    16 years ago

Cattknap,
    Thank you for sharing all those pics. My very favorite part of this forum. Your mixed silver and glass stacking plates are gorgeous. Love all your silver.
    Beautiful Christmas table setting.
    Cattknap and Judithva - I'm on a mission for the Candyland ornaments now. Did you say you made a garland out of real candy and have been able to keep it year to year?
    Delphi

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Jim, the candy wreath is a fun idea too. Thanks for the pic and instructions. (Big sigh) Since I am the Gramma of a 3 year old and have been given strict instructions about "no sweets", guess I had better not even think about tempting her with any candy themed decor! LOL

I do love the way it all looks, and totally enjoy all these great pictures. I'm agree with Judith, it brings out the "kid" in me! LOL

Luvs

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Terri, there are some people here who can give Martha a run for her money!
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, last year in Wm Sonoma they had mini collanders, pots etc. in copper. I got them 60 off, with the idea of doing a tree with them...now if I can only remember where I put them! LOL
    Hi Tam, don't run away again.
    Judith, your living room came out great!
    Karen, how are you gal, we are all sending prayers up for you and you loved ones. Hang in. I have to go look at your inspiration pics.
    Luvs, it is picking up! Now if only Sandi could come back!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Karen, I love your inspiration album--so fun to see so many pretty pics and ideas. I just finished my version of the "bottle of Boos" that your pic inspired. I'll post a pic soon. Glad to see you on here reading and posting--we're good for you! Sending a big "hug" your way. ;o)

Kathleen, you are right--things are picking up on here and I love it! I wish Sandi could get a new computer too--we miss her and all her great ideas. And you know what? I bet Cattknap has lots of pretty dishes to show us too. That's a hint if you are reading this Cattknap! LOL

Now I need to go find the pics of Judith's living room--everybody's seen it but me!

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Catt, thank you on the photos, I've added about 5 I think, to the album. Hopefully will be adding a lot more as the holidays get closer and all our talent here come out to play. If anyone doesn't want photos in the album, let me know...tho I always try to ask permission first.
    Lately my brain has gone on vacation without me.

hugs, Karen

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Karen, that's a great album. Thank you for posting it!!

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Karen you are a doll - all that you have going on in your life and you still make time to help us - I have looked at the album several times - it is very inspiring!

• lilsophie
    16 years ago

Ohhhh loved looking at all the pictures. Very pretty!! Just love the candy trees. I did one last year, I got inspiration from Cattknap. She always has such great inspiration.
    That candy wreath is such a cute idea, I may have to make one of those as well. We shall see.LOL

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Lilsophie, welcome to the forum, hope you will enjoy all the fun pics and posts on here. Great group of ladies and one guy so far. You know we want to see pics of your candy tree too, please post when you can. Luvs

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Hi Lilsophie! Haven't seen you in a while - I'm new here too - welcome!

• lilsophie
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking here for awhile now. Have enjoyed it sooooo much.

• catiecupcake
    16 years ago

Cattknap I just love your house and yard. I love all the pics posted here! :)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Catiecupcake, I've read some of your posts at Home Dec too, so nice to have you come here. Would love to have you join in, we love to see pics of dishes, tablescapes, centerpieces, vignettes, TS/YS finds, and any holiday decorations you have to share. It got pretty slow between holidays, so we started doing all the rest to keep ourselves entertained, and it has been so fun. ;o) Luvs

• judithva
    16 years ago

delphi, the candy garland came from Kmart, I think they still have it this year. I also used real gumdrops on the tree in a few places. The candy in the glass jars is real, I just put them in plastic bags and froze them to reuse, as I don't eat them (nor my DD) so they are reuseable...at least for this year I think.

Kathleen, thank you, I am still working on the room, but the basics are there, eventually I need to do the floors (once I decide on the "kind" of floor LOL ) Do crown molding etc..

lilsophie and Catiecupcake, welcome!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Hi lilsophie..combo of names? Lily is my gdau's name!

Welcome to our little band of dishoholics.
    I know Catie from Homeent...she shares many of our passions, so sorry! Hope you will like it here too.
    As Luvs said, there were times very few of us were here, but we hung in!!! Never thought I would do a July 4th table!
    Hey, Luvs, what happenend to the train theme for dh's bday??

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Ahhhhhhh, thank you Cattknap!!
    So many pretty things to look at...
    and Jim, my GD's and GGD's will LOVE you!!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Kathleen, his BD is 11-13. Not for sure I will be doing dinner for him yet, we may be in the Motor home and just go out to eat to celebrate. Better be finding out, hadn't I? LOL I know, I know, we NEED some more table scapes on here, right? Luvs

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Okay...I'm frownin' :^( Where are the pictures of Judith's room?????? I love Christmas and the pictures here are awesome, but I wanna' see the new room!!!!!
    Thanks for any help...just remember I'm old and creaky....urrr....ummmm....cranky!!

• judithva
    16 years ago

Aw, Jaybird, it is really not a new room (I got a new couch), and the room is not "finished", I still have "pretties" to add, floors, pictures, molding, rug etc...but here is the pic.

{{gwi:1440699}}

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Thank you, it is very pretty....now I'm smilin'!!
    I will be waiting for more pictures...you have been a very busy young lady!!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Judith, your room is coming along beautifully. Love all your pretty accessories.

Cattknap, I meant to ask you what polish you use to keep all your silver so pretty--mind sharing with us? I just used up the last of mine, and need to buy some soon.

Luvs

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Isn't that just gorgeous - I saw your fabulous room for the first time the other day...I just love what you do with glass - my eye just goes to it - what colors are you going to do in your rug Judith?

• judithva
    16 years ago

Thank you Jaybird, had to laugh at you calling me a young lady (I'm 52 LOL) and Luvs thanks too, it is a work in progress, I still have alot to do...I am hoping my DD will give me a "chop saw" for Christmas so I can do the molding on the ceiling and walls.

Catt, thank you too. As for an large area rug I am thinking a wool rug, and neutral tones. If the rug is in neutral tones (beiges, browns,golds, maybe a bit of light green etc), then I figure I can bring in different colors into the room as accents as my mood changes or the seasons change. I will have to pick peoples brains on where to get a good wool rug (the rug that was there before was a wool rug, my fur baby did not for some reason tinkle on that rug....maybe an adversion to wool, so wool is a MUST LOL)

As far as the glass and crystal, it has always been a facination with me, same with silver. I love looking at your beautiful collection of silver and crystal too, you display it so beautifully!

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Catt, we really do need to know what kind of silver polish you use!! I'm using Wright's but maybe you know something better!!
    And yes Judith, you ARE a young thang!!!!!! I'm about to have the 10th anniversary of my 52nd birthday!!!

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Crystal and silver are really my favorites too Judith....the only down side is because of the pollution where I live, I need to polish quite often...it is amazing how nice the silver things stay in the china cabinet behind tight glass and wood doors - I polish those things once a year.

Jaybird - I have tried every silver polish known to man but I have settled on Simichrome Polishing Paste - I get it at the local hardware store and I believe it is from Germany - good stuff. I get a good re-buff a month or so later so it seems to last longer than others I've tried - Wright's Haggertys, etc.

• judithva
    16 years ago

Jaybird, LOLOLOLO, but my body feels like it is 100 lately!

Catt, the problem here is the salt in the air too I think (I could be wrong about that ), but stuff tarnishes pretty quick here too.

• victorian227
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for everyones input and beautiful ideas for the kitchen. I almost bought a beautiful silver tea service in an antique store on Saturday, but another customer convinced me not too because of the cleaning. After reading everyone's posts and viewing the pictures I think I may have to go back and buy that set after all. I don't have kids living at home anymore but my granddaughter is at that age when they love to help do anything! Maybe silver polishing could be in her future! LOL

• judithva
    16 years ago

Victorian, definately go back and buy the set, yes polishing is is a bit of work, but it is so worth it!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

I agree, Victorian, the sparkle and beauty are well worth a little polishing. Besides you can just enjoy the beauty of the piece up close while you polish it.

Katt, I agree about the air pollution. Even when I worked at the Antiques and Collectibles store, I felt the silver needed to be buffed or even repolished every couple of weeks. I love the way you combine your silver and crystal in your vignettes. Thanks for the name of the polish you like, haven't heard of it but will start watching for it.

Jaybird, you are too funny--staying 52, are we? Sounds like a good number to me--let's see, can I "remember" 52? LOL

Judith, I think my mind is younger than my body--always thinking I can do so much only to realize I am just drop down dragging tired afterwards. Sort of how I feel right now--just finished mowing and cleaning up the yard after all our winds! Time for the recliner and a nap I think. ;o)

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Gosh Judith, that picture of your room looked like a magazine photo! I love the new couch, it's gorgeous.

I won't comment on silver, y'all already know I have an aversion to polishing. LOL.

Jaybird, my last birthday I told everyone I was celebrating the 29th Anniversary of my 31st birthday. Worked for me!
    Luvs, my oldest son shares your hubby's birthday!

hugs, Karen

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Wow, wow, and double wow!!

Where have I been? Had no idea this forum existed in gardenweb. Glad I found it! So inspiring. Thanks for sharing. Your decorations should be in all the magazines for the holidays! Just yummy!!

I have also been trying for years to have an all candy tree. Started it about five years ago and still have a long way to go!! Was starting to give it up, but you all have inspired me to keep plugging. By the time my kids are grown, it will be perfect!!

Keep that inspiration coming!

• victorian227
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Judith and Luvs,

Thanks for vote of confidence, I'm on my way Saturday morning!

Sponsored
More Discussions