Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

GW: PLEASE Stop the Huge Pop-Ups!!!

lynninnewmexico
13 years ago

Darn it, every time I post or log on, this morning this huge pop-up from Penneys shows up all over my screen and I end up accidentally logging off ~ over & over again~ as I try to maneuver around it! And then I get back on here and there it is again. I am so frustrated! Why do they do this? I'm not in the mood to look at wedding rings, as I'm very satisfied with the one I got 27 years ago when I GOT married.

As much as I love GW and this forum, I'm out of here until they take it down. Hopefully that'll be this morning some time.

Lynn

Comments (22)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Lynn...I'm not getting the Penney's ads ...ummm...don't know what's going on...when I accidentally "rollover" with my cursor on these side ads...i.e., diapers, dryer sheets, etc. etc. then they pop up bigger...but not the whole screen. Good luck...hope Penneys goes away soon...cause I do like that store! Jeanne S.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, it looks like somebody finally took it off . . . or bumping my laptop's pop-up blocker up (from medium) to high finally kicked in!
    Jeanne, I get those side ads too. They don't bother me, because they give you the option to click on them or not. This Penneys ad didn't. It took up a good quarter of the entire screen, hovering in the middle regardless of where I moved my cursor. And, it (conveniently) didn't have the X-box to click and make it disappear.

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

I didn't get the Penney's pop-up either, but I HATE those little rollover adds. I NEVER roll over them on purpose, but they're forever getting in my way. I wish we had a way to disable them. I wouldn't mind paying a little fee to GW like in the old days, just to eliminate the adds.

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Lynn, you do have to set your pop-up blocker to high to stop them on this site. It's one of the worst for them!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

These pop-ups have gone too far, IMO. Half the time when I come to GW, I automatically get the HUGE one, then I have to expand my screen to click on "close" or the "x." Or it will eventually close itself.

Now I'm constantly getting those small pop-ups inside topics.

I guess I need to check my pop-up controls.

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I didn't get the large pop up either, but imagine my blocker is set high. I don't mind the little ads at the side now that I've learned to keep my cursor off of there! I just truly appreciate GW for allowing us to have these neat forums for free, so won't complain unless they become a real nuisance. Luvs

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

I was getting those JCPENNEY pop ups a while ago but they stopped. Today when I click on a post that ad about being a single mom covers the entire page, Very annoying! When I go to
    click on a link The I Village Home Page pops up. Is anyone else having this problem?
    NanaKaren

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

NanaKaren,
    The single mom ad covers my whole screen also, I can hardly read the posts. Any ideas how to get rid of it.
    Frou

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

anytime I try to post or click on any part of the page it open another screen for IVillage - I have to close that screen and then I can post here but the same thing will happen again when I go to preview - just very very annoying ....

Lynne

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

Lynne,
    I am getting some really annoying scroll type ad that goes down the left side of the page through the pictures and responses and makes it almost impossible to read the posts!!
    Also, when I click on preview, etc. that awful I Village ad pops up and I have to get rid of it before I can post, AARGH.
    I agree they are just too bothersome.
    Sure would be nice if GW would listen to the users.
    TTFN,
    Candy

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

This is terrible !!! It must be some sort of a malfunction at GW!! I don't know how to prevent it.
    NanaKaren

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

I am having the same problem over on the Gardening side of GW so it is definitely a site problem - the GW is basically my home away from home for gardening and decorating. This is very frustrating - it is a very busy season for my two favorite hobbies and I like to follow everyone and see what they are doing. I sure hope the administrators can correct the problem soon ....

Lynne

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

At the bottom of this page in the green strip, there is a contact us section. Just click on that and write a brief description of your problem or copy and paste the link to this post so they are made aware of the problem.

Yes, they do sometimes monitor posts, but they can't possibly read them all--best to tell them directly.

It's strange that these things are happening to some posters but not all.

Luvs

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help Luvs, it seems to be working now.
    NanaKaren

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did end up writing GW a note to complain yesterday, as the shadow ads along one side were still showing up despite my bumping my pop-up blocker up to high. I was also getting more of the giant ads and the ad blocker that GW supposedly put in for us to use was still not working. But this morning I got a nice email from GW's Tamara, who is the manager of GW forums. I'm going to attempt to cut and past it here for you all to read.
    Lynn

Hi Lynn,

There was an issue with an overnight update, but it should now be resolved. If you are still seeing the rail ads, you should be able to clear them by refreshing your page by hitting the F5 key.

If you're still having problems, please let me know.

With best regards,

Tamara Amey
    GardenWeb Community Manager

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I love Tamara, she has always been so good about helping us on the forums when we need help.

I knew they would help fix the problem as soon as someone let them know what the problem was--just no way they can monitor all the posts on all the forums to see comments about such things.

Luvs

• yachter123
    13 years ago

Ok, I'm getting the HUGE pop-up ads tonite & there is no X to close them! SCREAM!

I'm getting it on all posts but this one! Hmmmmmmmmm.....

My pop-up blocker is set for this site, so WHAT GIVES, I cannot see anyones pictures!!!

• soinspired
    13 years ago

I'm having the same problem with the JCPenney ad. Very frustrating and my pop-up blocker is on high too.

• party_music50
    13 years ago

I wasn't getting the huge JCPenny popup until after I read this thread! The popup has a "close" option, but I have to click it multiple times before it closes. :(

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Hope all of your pop up problems have stopped since Tamara was made aware of them.

When you have a problem like that, just go to the bottom of the page and click on "contact us" and report it directly to GW. They can't fix it until you let them know about it! ;o)

Luvs

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

Thanks, Luvs. I used your suggestion and have sent them a message concerning the double underlined advertisements that annoy me.

• yachter123
    13 years ago

I just sent them a message, I've been getting the HUGE Penny's ad on the message pages of posts, all day today.

I cannot close them, the X moves when I try! My pop-up blocker is set to HIGH! UGH!!!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions