Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaybird

Need table fillers :^)

jaybird
13 years ago

All of you show such great food in your tablescapes. I am desparately in need of about 6 REALLY good casserole recipes. They can be any variety, but mostly the kind that make one meal in a pot...not just veggies or breakfast type casseroles. Am I making any sense??? If not, I will be back in my right mind about February :^)

Many thanks for your time!

Sorry I am a fairweather friend at the moment...I'll be back to check on everyone laaaaaa........ter......

Comments (8)

• luckygal
    13 years ago

I'm also feeling a bit like a fairweather friend but sometimes it can't be helped. For casseroles I seldom use recipes but use a protein (meat or cheese), a carb (pasta, rice, or potatoes), some veggies (whatever I think, at the moment goes with it or I have), and a sauce (either tinned soup or homemade). Add seasonings to taste (again on whim sometimes), a topping (crushed crackers, nachos, or potato chips, or breadcrumbs, and butter and/or cheese) and bake til hot. BTW I save all the crumbs from the bottom of the nacho bags, crush, and put in a jar in the freezer. Very handy when needed.

Here are some links I've bookmarked:

Pioneer Woman has lots of recipes: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/category/dinner/casseroles/

http://www.knowledgehound.com/topics/recipes_by_ingredient.htm

http://cottagegardenrecipes.blogspot.com/search/label/casserole

http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/casseroles/

Here's a Mac and Cheese casserole that sounds similar to what I make: http://peoniesandpeppermint.blogspot.com/2009/12/mac-cheese.html

The link below was posted on another forum so I'll pass it on. Lots of recipes there.

Here is a link that might be useful: recipes

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

jay ... here's one that I tried & like alot:

Beef Penne Pasta Casserole
    1 pound dried penne pasta, prepared according to package directions
    8 ounces lean ground beef
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 cups water
    2 cans (6 ounces each) Italian tomato paste
    1/3 cup red wine or water
    1 tablespoon MAGGI Instant Beef Flavor Bouillon
    2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese

PREHEAT oven to 350ð F.

COOK beef and onion in large saucepan, stirring occasionally, until beef is no longer pink. Add water, tomato paste, wine and bouillon; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until flavors are blended.

LAYER ingredients as follows in ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish: 1/2 pasta, 1/2 sauce and 1/2 cheese. Repeat layers; cover.

BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Season with salt.

FOR FREEZE AHEAD:
    PREPARE as above; do not bake. Cover; freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator.

PREHEAT oven to 350ð F.

BAKE for 45 to 55 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Season with salt.

Good luck, jay! Jeanne S.

• jaybird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW LG that'sa lotta' recipes and I thank you!!!
    Jeanne..perfect!!! Good beef recipes that aren't Mexican or Italian are hard to find!! I will be using that one for sure and an enchilada one from LG's site.
    Thank you both!

• milosmom_gw
    13 years ago

I'm so glad somebody asked this.
    Gave me a whole new ton of things to bookmark.
    I don't "love" to cook so casseroles are my friend. lol

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Here's a few I'll add if you want more ideas.

Tater Tot Casserole
    2 lbs. hamburger
    1 cup chopped onion
    Salt & Pepper To taste
    1 cans cr of chicken soup
    2 cans cr of mushroom soup
    1 cup milk
    2 cans gr beans
    3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
    Lg Pkg. Tater Tots

Brown burger & onion with salt & pepper in skillet. Add soup and milk. Pour in lg casserole or baking dish. Drain green beans and sprinkle over meat/soup mixture. Sprinkle some of the chees over gr beans. Layer tater tots over cheese and top with the rest of cheese. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until tater tots are golden brown.

Chicken Casserole
    1 box chicken Rice-A-Roni
    1 can cr of mushroom soup
    1 can cr of chicken soup
    3 cups chopped chicken breasts
    1 c milk
    Chop chicken breasts and saute in fry pan.
    Cook Rice A Roni as directed. Add mushroom and chicken soup. Stir in 1 cup milk. Add chopped cooked chicken breasts. Bake until heated throughout. Can add vegetables if desited.

Cheesy Chicken Bake
    1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
    1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces and sauted.
    CA Blend Veg. Cooked on stove top for a few minutes
    1 can (10-3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
    1/2 cup milk
    1-1/2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
    Prepare stuffing as directed on package.
    Combine chicken and veg. in 13x9-inch baking dish. Stir in soup, milk and cheese; top with stuffing.
    BAKE 30 min. or until casserole is heated through.
    Hope this helps. Punk

• jaybird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oooh that Cheesy Chicken one looks wonderful.....it's a for sure!! Would you happen to have an interesting one that is made with chunks of beef?? I think I'm fixed for chicken and Jeannes' ground beef one sounds great. I will also do a potato and ham casserole..I wonder what sweet potato and ham casserole would taste like?????(maybe with pineapple in it??????
    I'll be back later to explain this crazy deal!(You know that I ALWAYS get into crazy deals...Thanks for ALWAYS helping me out:^)
    Thanks Ms. Punk!!
    J!

• yachter123
    13 years ago

This is one my mother used to make, I still make it for the grandkids & family.

Spaghetti Casserole:
    1 lb. bacon cut in small pieces
    2 cans stewed tomatos
    4 small cans tomato sauce

16 oz. package shredded cheddar cheese

Brown bacon til crisp, drain off grease, add stewed tomatos(I always cut the tomatos into bite size piecs) juice & all, and the 4 cans tom. sauce.

Let simmer on low while you cook the spaghetti. I use about 2/3 a large box of spaghetti for this.

One spaghetti is cooked & drained, start out with small amount of sauce in bottom of casserole. Layer spaghetti, sauce & cheddar cheese, over & over & ending with sauce & cheddar on top. Cover with lid, not foil, as foil will stick to the cheese while backing.

Bake about 45 mins to an hour in 350 oven.
    To make larger amount, just add more tom. sauce & cook more spaghetti, I really don't have a recipe, just do it as I remember my mom making it.

Reuben Casserolle:

1 loaf rye bread
    swiss cheese, slices or shredded (or substitute) mozz. shredded cheese or a comination of both.

1 can sauerkraut (drained)
    1 bottle of Thousand Island dressing.
    1 can corned beef

Chop slices of bread into bite size pieces.
    Layer, sauerkraut, bread, corn beef, cheese & Thous. Is. dressing, ending with cheese on top.

Bake covered at 350 approx. 45 mins or til casserole is bubbly & cheese melted.

Note: I water down the dressing a bit, so the casserolle is not to dry. Be sure to use enough between layers.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

My favs along those lines:
    1) rigatoni with spaghetti sauce, ground beef or shredded chicken, mozzarella, mushrooms
    2) chicken and dumplings, using the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box. I make small dumplings for a buffet.
    3) Shepherds Pie, using shredded or ground beef. It's topped with mashed potatoes and is always popular with company. I'm actually making this, using cooked, shredded roast beef, for dinner tonight. When making the mashed potatoes, I usually add a minced garlic clove, sour cream or Greek yogurt, and a bit of horseradish mayo, for extra layer of flavor.

There are many of these recipes on Allrecipes.com.
    Lynn

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions