Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Where Were You???

lynninnewmexico
13 years ago

I was expecting our bus to arrive here this past weekend, so that I could take you all to New Mexico's (very famous) Albuquerque International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta, but you all must have gotten lost :~(

Sooooo, I went without you, and took a few pics so you'd be able to see what you'd missed. Maybe next year, Ladies.

This is a wonderful event, but you need to be up, dressed in layers for warmth and on the road by at least 5:15AM for this. The Dawn Patrol (usually 4 balloons) launch right before dawn so that they can get an accurate idea of the prevailing winds. While they do this, everybody hits one of the many food concessions for a delicious Breakfast Burrito (scrambled eggs, hash browns, green chiles, cheese and bacon or sausage, wrapped in a flour tortilla and sooooo yummy! Grab a coffee, OJ, hot cocoa and/or sweet roll to go with it. After all the balloons are up (550-800 of them), you can head back for many more food options if you like:

The hot air balloons go up in waves, and we're right down on the field with them as they inflate and launch. Everyone is excited and in a great mood, taking pics . . . and munching on our breakfast burritos.

I thought of you all when these "Special Shapes" balloons went up.

Darth Vader:

Haunted House:

Wild & Crazy Rooster:

Country Chick:

Pretty soon the entire sky in filled with beautiful balloons:

I had a great time with DH & DD . . . but did still miss you all.(DH's face partially blurred for privacy, sorry) He's still my cowboy:

Oakley: did you notice that I wore my University of Oklahoma jacket? What a great way to meet other former Sooners . . . fun!

After leaving the launch field, we always head to the big arts & crafts fair down the road, conveniently scheduled to coincide with the fiesta. Bought a great new rug for DH's study there and had more fun.

See what you all missed? Now, let's plan for next year!

Lynn

Comments (12)

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Wow that is beautiful!!! A couple of weeks ago they had a balloon festival at Baylor University. On Sunday morning, they had a target run that the target was right behind our church...in a shredded corn field. It was amazing to have them so close to us.....Sunday School was held in our parking lot!! Several of the "balloonists" came down and "parked" so that we could see the balloons...we gave them coffee and cookies :^)
    Thanks so much for posting your pictures and you look downright cuuuute in your Sooner jacket!!
    J

• oldalgebra
    13 years ago

OK. You've convinced me. I'll be there next year. Talk about breath-taking! Do they give people rides? I've always wanted to go up in one.

I never knew they had "Macy's Parade" hot air balloons. How funny!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Lynn...I have a former classmate friend on Facebook who posted pics, too...it always looks so GRAND & like so much fun! Good to "see" you again & DH, too (partially is ok)...TFS your pics & your day! Looks like so much fun! Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Lynn, so sorry we missed this day with you and yours! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Looks like a fun event to attend. Enjoyed seeing all the pictures. DGD would of loved seeing Sponge Bob and I love the Haunted House and Chicken.

Punk

• christmascandy
    13 years ago

Wow, how spectacular!!
    Looks and sounds like a great time.
    I think the bus missed my house, : (

TFS,
    Candy

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

We would have been there for sure--but did you forget that our driver, Jane, is still recuperating???? So glad you thought about us and took all those neat pictures to share. I've seen the balloons a couple of times, but never 800 of them! That would be gorgeous. TFS. Luvs

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad you liked the pics! It was nice to be able to share some of this beautiful event with you.
    Ronin's due at the vet's this morning for a check-up . . . and he stinks! I need to give him a shower before heading off, but will be back this afternoon to check out all the new posts and pics.
    Lynn

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

I lurk from time to time over here. What a great festival! And I thought that was a photo of your DD and your DH. :)

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, Coop, you are such a flatterer . . . and I'll take it! Wish I *could* have gotten a pic of DD but, at 16 y/o (sigh!), she decided she wasn't photographable that day ;^D . . . teenagers!
    BTW, it's good to see you over here!
    Lynn

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing Really wish I could habe been there !!

• aleighjc
    13 years ago

I'm not a regular but wanted to post and tell you what great pictures you got! We WERE there! We went the evening the "shapes" were lit up. I wanted to go to the a.m event but it's just to early to go to with a 3 yearold that likes her sleep. LOL!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

I SO want to go back to the Fiesta. Would you believe I went to the very first International Fiesta back in 1973? I was seven. It was amazing. We went the next year, too, but then dad got transferred again and I have never made it back to ABQ. I know if I ever went back I wouldn't want to leave.

I used to have my program books from those first two years. They would probably be worth something if I could find them, But I've moved so much since then they are probably long gone.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions